2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit owners: what caused you to choose the Fit over the Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Fit owners: what caused you to choose the Fit over the Civic?

Hi everyone. I'm new both here, and to cars in general.

I expect to be buying a car within the next month or two, and I've gotten it down to the Corolla, Civic, and Fit. The three have similar pricing (with the Fit, of course, being a bit cheaper), MPG, and features, and I'm having a difficult time deciding between them.

My question to you all, therefore, is: What made you choose the Fit for your new car over similarly priced and equipped competition?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
I know many people compare the Fit to the Civic, but I don't. To me, it's a different car.

First of all, I've heard many quality issues with the new Civic, not surprisingly, which is one of the many reasons I never opted for a Civic Si.

The Fit is more engaging, communicative and fun to drive. The Civic is kinda dull.

I really don't like the Civic's styling, both inside and out.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:30 PM
i chose the fit because it has way more interior space than the corolla and civic. plus it gets slightly better combined MPG and is nearly 3k less than either previous car comparably equipped (my fit is about 18k w/ MT and Navi, whereas an M/T Navi civic would be closer to 21k)

Old 10-07-2008, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
I had a '06 Civic EX and couldn't stand it anymore after a year and a half. Rattles galore, making the whole driving experience unpleasant. The Fit, however, is a different story.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by what?
i chose the fit because it has way more interior space than the corolla and civic. plus it gets slightly better combined MPG and is nearly 3k less than either previous car comparably equipped (my fit is about 18k w/ MT and Navi, whereas an M/T Navi civic would be closer to 21k)
What what? said pretty much covers it; not hard to push Civic prices waaaay up in the $20s. I was after a practical gas miser that was also fun to drive.

Just hope the damn thing shows up pretty soon....
Moon

Old 10-07-2008, 02:03 PM
That's pretty much the only reason
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...8&postcount=11
Now on the other hand, if they bring back a Civic Hatch....

Old 10-07-2008, 02:11 PM
I actually love the Civic. Had a civic before until it was totalled in an accident. I test drove both an 08 Fit and 08 Civic back to back and preferred the Civic (a bit more roomy inside w/ a real center armrest/storage, plus feeling a bit more power and stability). However the civic's limited cargo capability is a big turnoff. I also prefer the Fit's shorter length.

The civic does have attractive lease deals so if you don't need to haul anything and don't drive a lot of miles it's a much better deal.

Last edited by Surviver of the Fittest; 10-07-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-07-2008, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Leasing FTL. I can imagine only very few situations that would warrant leasing a car.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 PM
h2o
Fit and finish.
Fit 100% Made in Japan.
Civic 70-80% Made in US.
Not the main reason, but one of them.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
because everyone and their dogs have one.

fit is unique and different.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by celph titled
because everyone and their dogs have one.

fit is unique and different.
What he said, Civics are played out to the bone. There is absolutely NOTHING you can do to make your's original anymore, chances are there are 100's of people rockin' the same look.

Fit still has so much potential, and space for originality

Old 10-07-2008, 02:24 PM
i was looking for a hatch back to replace my 1990 civic HB. I figured the fit is like the next 'civic HB' (closest thing to it at least).

Old 10-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tychan
What he said, Civics are played out to the bone. There is absolutely NOTHING you can do to make your's original anymore, chances are there are 100's of people rockin' the same look.

Fit still has so much potential, and space for originality
i have a neighbor, her name is dolly and is 79. and drives a civic.

that tells you something

Old 10-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by mega56
i was looking for a hatch back to replace my 1990 civic HB. I figured the fit is like the next 'civic HB' (closest thing to it at least).
there was an article in the latest Honda Tuning mag. talking just about that, how the new fit reminded one of the writers of the EF Civic HB when they first came out.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
imho, if choosing between a civic non si or the fit i would choose the fit. corollas are lame. and the fit is such a sweet car. wish i had one

hopefully the fit will be like the ef or any other hatch for that matter. it would be sick to see so much aftermarket support and swap-ability with the motors.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Hatch

No civic hatch available.
or Acura hatch.

I want the small compact size, but there are times I need to carry out equipment, so I want the versatility.

Mpg, and being made 100% in Japan are added benefits.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks everyone, those are all valuable reasons. I hadn't heard that the Civic had waning reliability, and the fact that the Fit is assembled 100% in Japan along with Cojaro's first-hand experience helps to solidify that. Reliability is paramount to me, next to having a good MPG rating, so this point alone is likely enough to sway me.

I'm hoping to head out to give both the Fit and the Civic a test drive this week, so my driving experience then should help. I have, however, taken a very short ride in a manual '09 Fit a few days ago, and I was surprised at how stiff it was; the Fit doesn't seem to be a very smooth ride, and that concerns me a bit for long highway commutes. Do any of you regularly do highway driving with your Fit?

Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm a Downsizer

I read sometime ago that Honda added Navi and VSA because in their research of 2007-2008 US sales, they found the buyer demographic surprisingly mixed between the expected entry-level shoppers (young, lower income, looking for something hip and versatile with good mpg) and a people downsizing from from more expensive cars and even trucks because of the renewed appeal of a high-quality, inexpensive yet fun to drive and economical car.

I'm shocked how fun this car is to drive. I'm coming from a tuned Audi S4 and our other car is a Subaru Outback XT Ltd (turbo). The lack of sheer power, however, is only slightly bothersome and is made up for by a terrific suspension and very good steering feel. The Fit proves that an inexpensive car does not have to be a squishy, wallowing embarrassment.

As far as the Civic, I only considered the Hybrid, but the additional initial cost wiped out any gas savings, and it simply doesn't have the utility a Fit has. The car I was anxiously awaiting was the Jetta TDI, but by late summer I did more math, figured I wouldn't be able to pass up the DSG option (wife doesn't do manuals and we wanted two cars she could drive) and a few other options and send the price through the roof (compared to a Fit.) So it was an easy choice. This car is fantastic.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Whats up w/ all the "made in USA" hate. I own an Si and the only major problematic thing in the car is the transmission, and guess where its built?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
I was in the same situation choosing between the civic or fit. I chose the fit sport over the civic lx because basically there are so many civics on the road. Also the fit sport as a personal preference seems to be more respected compared to the civic lx to modify. I would've gotten the Si over the Fit Sport but that wasnt an option for me so yeah Fit all the way. Also 6 speakers compared to 4 speakers, usb link, paddle shifters, black interior, and hatch. Also i like how the 09 fit reminds me of the EP3 which was one of my fav cars.

Quick Reply: Fit owners: what caused you to choose the Fit over the Civic?