2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for fueling up

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
i dont wanna touch redline lol
Lol! Not even close to it?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:24 PM
HID Addict
no i get close buh like, i dont even wanna be around to see what happens what happens it hits redline, ill prolly try it tomorow up a hill every now n then i rev it enough that i can actually feel the throttle pedal shakin and the knob too.. creepy, thats when i shift or let off the gas lol ill be really showin it off when i get my megan axel back

Old 10-13-2008, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
no i get close buh like, i dont even wanna be around to see what happens what happens it hits redline, ill prolly try it tomorow up a hill every now n then i rev it enough that i can actually feel the throttle pedal shakin and the knob too.. creepy, thats when i shift or let off the gas lol ill be really showin it off when i get my megan axel back
I don't recommend redlining going up a hill. Try it on the freeway. Somewhere with a lot of flat open road. You don't have to do it you know. I'm just messing with you. Lol!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:29 PM
HID Addict
lol no its jsut the excitement, i do it like once a day at least or when im waitin for my mom at the STUPID mall!

-ah im gunna rev just for the hell of it
--vrooom sshhhhh vroom shhh vroom oom vroooooom shhhhh pop-
oh shit >.< lol no no pop

Old 10-13-2008, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Oh boy. That doesn't sound too good.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
lol no its jsut the excitement, i do it like once a day at least or when im waitin for my mom at the STUPID mall!

Haha! The only time I actually redline is when I'm racing someone on the freeway (99.9% it's against a stupid Scion tC). Or when I'm at the track, road racing.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:35 PM
HID Addict
freeway FTW, route 33, you got like 10 miles of clean asphalt before you have a chance of running into a cop, 2 lanes with shoulders both side, and a tall center divider so on coming cars dont get an ideas great place to street race

Old 10-13-2008, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
freeway FTW, route 33, you got like 10 miles of clean asphalt before you have a chance of running into a cop, 2 lanes with shoulders both side, and a tall center divider so on coming cars dont get an ideas great place to street race
I guess you can say that I'm a spontaneous street racer. I don't do the whole Fast and the Furious thing where you meet up at a spot and drag race. Not that's just stupid. When I race, you see who pulls on who, then you see who wins. It lasts for only a few seconds. I try to avoid doint that though. I like to keep my racing on the track.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:43 PM
HID Addict
i dont like tracks, too controling, and yea meetin a spot is just too sissy, take who ever is tehre and do ya thang no audience either, wats the point

Old 10-13-2008, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
i dont like tracks, too controling, and yea meetin a spot is just too sissy, take who ever is tehre and do ya thang no audience either, wats the point
You should try autocrossing. Fun shit.

Hey, let's get back on topic. Don't want to OP to get mad.

Sorry for thread jacking!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
From "Tips for fueling up" to "autocrossing"? Jeez that's quite a jump.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:50 PM
HID Addict
One thing i do all the time that saves gas, hit the neutrel, or for MT, clutch i think. When your coming to a stop, N, idling, N, down a hill, N, reduce speed for w/e, N, get the idea? basicly use the neutrel as a soft brake, and yes the brake still functions in N. This saves me about 15%-20%, ive heard people got 30%, this helps in city alot too. Ive done this on my last car (SUV) for about 6 months, worked well no problems and no worries, 4 months on the Fit, worked well no problems and no worries. Dont touch the gas in N of course. You can hit the N at any time and shift back as long as N is neutrel (no gas) Any questions?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:09 PM
I used to do that all the time in my old civic and I coulda sworn it saves me gas. However my coworker claims that when you're in neutral, the engine needs gas to keep it alive?

So when I got my fit, I used the fuel economy meter on the dash. When coasting in nuetral, it shows 3 'bars'. If i leave it in gear without using the gas, it shows 1 'bar'.

So who is right?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:11 PM
From the article:

Remember that the vast majority service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground; and the colder the ground, the denser the gasoline. When it gets warmer gasoline expands, so if you're filling up in the afternoon or in the evening, what should be a gallon is not exactly a gallon.
The fallacy with this concept is that the tanks are indeed underground. The ground acts as insulation and the temperature will not change drastically. You're talking about days or weeks (depending on the severity of external temperature change) before the temperature of an underground tank makes any measurable change at all. You must heat or cool the ground first in order to affect the tank. That isn't a rapid process and is exactly why underground homes are energy efficient.

Depth of the tank plays a large role in this, of course. One closer to the surface will see a change quicker than one deeper down. But morning-to-afternoon variations for any buried tank is extremely unlikely.

No, I'm not a chemist. But yes, I was in the business from a safety and environmental aspect.

Last edited by TheSaint; 10-13-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:13 PM
If you're going down hill, you use more gas in neutral than you would in gear with no throttle. The car's motion keeps the engine going and less (or no) gas is required on fuel injected engines. In neutral, it requires fuel to maintain idle.

But you would go faster down the hill in neutral than you would in gear with no throttle.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
You should try autocrossing. Fun shit.

Hey, let's get back on topic. Don't want to OP to get mad.

Sorry for thread jacking!
Just kidding! I inadvertently do it all the time too.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Fa1
Lift the hose up to get the gas in the hose to your tank after you fill up.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fa1
Lift the hose up to get the gas in the hose to your tank after you fill up.
That doesn't help. The trigger cuts off the flow at the nozzle not at the pump.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
I just drove my '09 Sport MT from Airdrie (35 clicks north of Calgary) to Saskatoon and back. On the way to Toon Town I kept the cruise control at around 112 km/hr and got 43 mpg (imperial), using 38.3 liters of fuel over the 582 kms. On the way back I was a little more aggressive, dialing it up to a typical cruise speed of around 117 km/hr. This time I got 41 miles per imperial gallon.

I'm guessing that if cruise speed were kept at no more than 100 kms per hour these cars could easily get 650 kms per tank, or about 48 mpg. Not bad.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
That doesn't help. The trigger cuts off the flow at the nozzle not at the pump.
Not sure how it is up north, but in the US if you shut the pump off, open the nozzle and raise the hose you'll get an extra splash of fuel. Not much, but to a Fit it might take you an extra 1/2 mile

Quick Reply: Tips for fueling up