2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for fueling up

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Tips for fueling up

Taken from here: Helpful hints for the next time you fill up your car | Progressive U

Bunch of tips but the ones I've heard are to fill up in the mornings when the gas is denser (less air). So when you're buying a Litre (or gallon), you're really GETTING the amount you payed for in gas.

Also, fill up when the tank is still 1/2 full "because the more gas you have in your tank the less air there is and gasoline evaporates rapidly, especially when it's warm".

There are other tips so happy reading! Hey, every little bit helps right?

Old 10-13-2008, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Lol! I like you how created a thread about this. Awesomeness.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:05 PM
coolio

Old 10-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
Lol! I like you how created a thread about this. Awesomeness.
Well you know, I'm all about helping my fellow Fitfreakers! Wanted to be sure people saw this information and that it didn't get buried in that other thread....

Still not clear about the 1/2 full theory. Gist of it is: fill up early morning Wednesday and don't wait until your tank is empty! Not sure I can go that long until fill-up since I travel about 350 miles/week... Which is why I'm so interested in any tips that will help me stretch my gasoline budget to the max!

Oh another one is to fill-up on the "slow" setting. Never noticed settings on the fuel trigger as I just squeeze it as hard as I can. Will have to be more attentive next time....

Old 10-13-2008, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I think no matter how much air there is in the tank it theoretically should evaporate at the same rate. We need a chemist here.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Yeah I think no matter how much air there is in the tank it theoretically should evaporate at the same rate. We need a chemist here.
Dang! I'm just a biologist which explains why this stuff makes no sense to me. All I know is that theoretically I could get more gas for my money (vs. fumes) by filling up early morning and with 1/2 tank left, oh and squeezing very little on the nozzle. Boy, I'll be stressed out at my next fill-up trying to remember all this stuff!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Just enjoy the ride! (If you have a Nissan)

Old 10-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
in theory all of this makes sense but i am almost certain that the difference is very negligible. it may all add up to, at most, some number of drops of gasoline if you factor in the temperature, vaporization rate, all that stuff. imagine having a gallon of gas in a container, i would not really expect it to expand much in the afternoon vs. in the early morning. also, gasoline at the station is located underground where temperature change is so miniscule in the first place. i am a skeptic.

edit: k i googled "gas station filling myths" and this is something that came up. i bet there's a lot of additional literature regarding this. http://www.turndownhotfuel.com/myths.html

Last edited by doctordoom; 10-13-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Not a chemist but I'll take a stab at it.

Faster evaporation occurs in the tank with any of these factors:
- higher temperature
- lower humidity
- larger surface area of exposed gasoline
- larger amount of air (i.e. less gasoline)

Old 10-13-2008, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
in theory all of this makes sense but i am almost certain that the difference is very negligible. it may all add up to, at most, some number of drops of gasoline if you factor in the temperature, vaporization rate, all that stuff. imagine having a gallon of gas in a container, i would not really expect it to expand much in the afternoon vs. in the early morning. also, gasoline at the station is located underground where temperature change is so miniscule in the first place. i am a skeptic.

edit: k i googled "gas station filling myths" and this is something that came up. i bet there's a lot of additional literature regarding this. Hot Fuel - Myths & Facts
I agree with you. And people who are looking into such methods to save gas probably don't drive that way. IOW people should learn how to drive to save gas rather than subscribe to the above measures that provide nominal effect.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
As long as you don't beat on your car, your MPG should be fine.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:23 PM
HID Addict
one thing in question, higher RPMs means more gas consumption correct? and does it make a different between "Drive" and "sports" moce in AT?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rubba Burna
one thing in question, higher RPMs means more gas consumption correct? and does it make a different between "Drive" and "sports" moce in AT?
I don't think it matters. Revving is revving.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:43 PM
one thing in question, higher RPMs means more gas consumption correct?
Not necessarily. It's also affected by throttle position, speed and load.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:52 PM
HID Addict
so if i drive 40 mph in high RPMs like 5000, big difference?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
so if i drive 40 mph in high RPMs like 5000, big difference?
Well... Now that would just be dumb. Why would you want to do that. Lol!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:03 PM
HID Addict
lol REV REV, i just like the feelin of that 4 cylinder engine workin lol even tho i got stock muffler =\ but i do it for the sound n feeling (vibration wise), i always got my hand on the knob so i feel it slightly, usually when i rev hard tho so, im just worried if that affects my gas consumption

Old 10-13-2008, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
lol REV REV, i just like the feelin of that 4 cylinder engine workin lol even tho i got stock muffler =\ but i do it for the sound n feeling (vibration wise), i always got my hand on the knob so i feel it slightly, usually when i rev hard tho so, im just worried if that affects my gas consumption
No worries man. We all get rev happy sometimes. I know I do. But only in my DB8. Nothing like the sound of revving up to 8100 RPM. I hardly do it though.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:14 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
No worries man. We all get rev happy sometimes. I know I do. But only in my DB8. Nothing like the sound of revving up to 8100 RPM. I hardly do it though.
i dont wanna touch redline lol

Old 10-13-2008, 04:18 PM
I dunno about anywhere else in the US or Canada but in Vancouver, there is a major price difference for morning and evening. If morning is $1.26/L, then the evening price can be in the range of $1.19/L or lower.

So I only fill up at night

Quick Reply: Tips for fueling up