2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the canadians is the sport worth the xtra $4000+?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:00 PM
For the canadians is the sport worth the xtra $4000+?

Just wondering what you canadian consumers think? This is a whopping 150$ or so a month. Over 36 months. Anyone know if anything on the sport makes it drive better, gives it better control? Is it worth the extra money?

Old 10-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Depends on you and your budget.

Personally for what you are getting in the Canadian sport model, $5,000 could be spent in a better place.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
Depends on what you want. The 16" Sport mags are very nice vs. the butt-ugly 15" LX mags. The lower side body kit sets the car off, but probably doesn't help handling in the least. The more powerful 6-speaker sound system with Ipod plug is worth something, the anti-sway bars are heavier so those into more spirited driving would benefit, the fog lights are certainly nice to have and the alarm is certainly necessary. To me, all of the above are well worth the extra 2K vs. the LX.

As for the base model, for the additional 2K savings (vs. the LX) you give up air conditioning, power windows, mags, cruise control, rear roof spoiler and central locking. Not worth it to me.

And since I bought my Sport MT via the "one-payment" plan I'm not concerned about how much extra per month I'd have to fork over.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Banned
You can buy a lot of aftermarket parts for 5K. I need air (which I have) on my 2008 Fit Sport, but beyond this the other bits can be added and make your 2009 a real special car. In the end I am replacing the 15" wheels and tires, getting a tint and maybe a better stereo later next year. Right there is $3,500.

Last edited by kamakurakid; 10-27-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Aviator902S
...As for the base model, for the additional 2K savings (vs. the LX) you give up air conditioning, power windows, mags, cruise control, rear roof spoiler and central locking. Not worth it to me...
I believe the power windows are included with the base model.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 AM
The base model is by far the best value per dollar option. The chassis, engine, safety features, etc. are the same on all models. The $5000 buys you zero performance, what you're paying for are options. Different wheels, bumpers, extra speakers, remote entry, etc.

If those extras are worth 5 grand to you, then get the Sport model. If they are not then get the base. Simple as that.

I have a Sport on order but Iam seriously consider getting the base instead due to recent economic trends. Stocks are at an all time low and I want to pick up as much equity as possibly during this time.

Either way, you're getting a great car! You can't go wrong with either model.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by stoop14
Just wondering what you canadian consumers think? This is a whopping 150$ or so a month. Over 36 months. Anyone know if anything on the sport makes it drive better, gives it better control? Is it worth the extra money?
I'm all about facts (since I'm a Biologist and all) so here you go.

The MSRP breakdown is:
DX MT = $14,980
DX AT = $16,180
DX-A (i.e. with AC) MT = $16,280
DX-A AT = $17,480
LX MT = $17,380
LX AT = $18,580
Sport MT = $19,280
Sport AT = $20,480

I have a thread here where I compare the LX to the Sport: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-vs-sport.html To summarize, exterior differences are that the Sport adds over the LX: lower body kit, chrome exhaust finisher, rear stabilizer bar, fog lights, 16" VERY NICE wheels (vs. 15" really ugly ones in LX), and chrome bezels behind the headlights. Interior differences are that the Sport adds: leather steering wheel, black material on seats and doors (vs. grey for LX), 2 tweeters, USB connector (to operate ipod through audio system), and a security alarm system.

Now going from the DX-A (I'm assuming everyone WANTS AC) to the LX, you add: 15" lightweight aluminum-alloy wheels (vs. 15" steel wheels with full covers), body-colored door handles/rear spoiler/side mirrors, HEATED side mirrors, option of security alarm system, driver-side fold-down armrest, illuminated steering wheel-mounted cruise control, power door locks with keyless entry, and 2 extra speakers.

If you're going for a manual OR an automatic, you're looking at (again, negating the DX since I assume the DX-A is the minimum people realistically want) $1100 difference between the DX-A and the LX, then tack on another $1900 for the Sport (so $3000 difference between DX-A and Sport in the manual).

What you have to do is look at the above differences from DX-A to LX, LX to Sport and decide what really matters to YOU. Personally, I wouldn't want a car without cruise control, keyless entry, power heated side mirrors, and security alarm system. Therefore, again for ME, the LX would have been the "better bang for my buck" BUT I fell in love with the orange revolution color, only available on the Sport AND my brother negotiated a deal for me to get the Sport. Oh and I found the wheels on the LX, um, "not very attractive". I actually think the DX wheels look alot better!

Having driven both the LX and Sport for a while, I can tell you that, to ME, both drive EXACTLY THE SAME. If you're more into "sporty" driving (vs. economy driving as I am), maybe the stabilizer bar and larger wheels/tires would make a difference. What I do now very much appreciate is the USB connection that allows me to play my ipod on the audio system. I travel about 1.5-2 hours per day so having that little touch of "luxury" is well worth it.

In the end, this is a personal decision so look at the above differences and weigh the extras you get vs. the extra pricing.... good luck! Either one you choose, it's a great little car!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by ctsport
The base model is by far the best value per dollar option. The chassis, engine, safety features, etc. are the same on all models. The $5000 buys you zero performance, what you're paying for are options. Different wheels, bumpers, extra speakers, remote entry, etc.

If those extras are worth 5 grand to you, then get the Sport model. If they are not then get the base. Simple as that.

I have a Sport on order but Iam seriously consider getting the base instead due to recent economic trends. Stocks are at an all time low and I want to pick up as much equity as possibly during this time.

Either way, you're getting a great car! You can't go wrong with either model.

Between the bone basic DX to the Sport is a difference of $4300. For that you get extra in the Sport:
- lower body kit
- chrome exhaust finisher
- rear stabilizer bar
- fog lights
- chrome bezels behind the headlights (vs. dark grey)
- 16" alluminum allow NICE wheels (vs. 15" steel wheels with full covers)
- body-colored door handles/rear spoiler/side mirrors
- HEATED side mirrors
- security alarm system
- AC with air filtration
- driver-side fold-down armrest
- illuminated steering wheel-mounted cruise control
- power door locks with keyless entry
- 4 extra speakers (2 of them tweeters)
- leather steering wheel
- black material on seats and doors (vs. grey for DX)
- USB connector (to operate ipod through audio system)

These ARE all options and add nothing (to ME anyways, driving for max fuel economy) to the performance and fuel economy of the car. Personally, being realistic here, I believe that the mid level LX gives you the most bang for your buck. The Sport adds alot of "sporty" body extras and the USB (which I must admit is GREAT if you travel alot, especially) but those are really things most people can live without....

Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Between the bone basic DX to the Sport is a difference of $4300. For that you get extra in the Sport:
- lower body kit
- rear stabilizer bar
- fog lights
- HEATED side mirrors
- security alarm system
- AC with air filtration
- leather steering wheel

These ARE all options and add nothing (to ME anyways, driving for max fuel economy) to the performance and fuel economy of the car. Personally, being realistic here, I believe that the mid level LX gives you the most bang for your buck. The Sport adds alot of "sporty" body extras and the USB (which I must admit is GREAT if you travel alot, especially) but those are really things most people can live without....
Wow, now that is a very well thought out process. Good going, I am certain many will be looking at your logic and chewing over some major bones in the thinking process. I would add, the 2009 Fit is a more refined car compared to my 2008 Sport Fit. I have not driven the 2009 for fear of wanting it. I am waiting for the next hybrid in Fit form and it will be my second car. I believe by May 2009 there is a new Insight coming out, toughest part is making a colour choice.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by stoop14
Buy a 2008 and save even more, used yes but many have put over $5K worth in extras over the Sport price and now need a different car due to life changes. Buy used and loved, pocket the savings.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by kamakurakid
Wow, now that is a very well thought out process. Good going, I am certain many will be looking at your logic and chewing over some major bones in the thinking process. I would add, the 2009 Fit is a more refined car compared to my 2008 Sport Fit. I have not driven the 2009 for fear of wanting it. I am waiting for the next hybrid in Fit form and it will be my second car. I believe by May 2009 there is a new Insight coming out, toughest part is making a colour choice.
Yeah, I figure if people have a list they can go over and know the real price difference, then they'll be in a better position to make the choice. Really, either model drives exactly the same (to the non-sporty driver such as moi) and delivers the same fuel economy so it does come down to options.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by kamakurakid
Buy a 2008 and save even more, used yes but many have put over $5K worth in extras over the Sport price and now need a different car due to life changes. Buy used and loved, pocket the savings.
Good point. Or try to get an '09 Demo for some $$ savings. The 1st generation models are also great little cars so it is an option, IF you can manage to locate one, that is. Think they're extremely hard to find right now...

Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 AM
- lower body kit
- rear stabilizer bar
- fog lights
- HEATED side mirrors
- security alarm system
- AC with air filtration
- leather steering wheel

Don't forget you have pay tax on the $4300 which equates to a total difference of about 5K here in BC

Old 10-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Don't forget you have pay tax on the $4300 which equates to a total difference of about 5K here in BC
Another good point. Our tax in Ontario is 13% so figure an extra $559 for taxes (going from DX to Sport), making it really a difference of $4859....

Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Also, for some reason, people keep mentioning the addition of the stabilizer bar on the Sport trim. 99% of the drivers out there will not feel any additional gain in handling. If you're really set on getting this bar... you can buy an aftermarket bar for around 100 bucks when they become available.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Another difference between the models is exterior color availability.

DX:
Blue Sensation Pearl
Milano Red
Crystal Black Pearl
Storm Silver Metalic

LX:
Blue Sensation Pearl
Milano Red
Crystal Black Pearl
Storm Silver Metallic
Taffeta White
Blackberry Pearl
Tidewater Blue Metallic

Sport:
Blue Sensation Pearl
Milano Red
Crystal Black Pearl
Storm Silver Metallic
Taffeta White
Blackberry Pearl
Tidewater Blue Metallic
Orange Revolution Metallic

Old 10-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Also, for some reason, people keep mentioning the addition of the stabilizer bar on the Sport trim. 99% of the drivers out there will not feel any additional gain in handling. If you're really set on getting this bar... you can buy an aftermarket bar for around 100 bucks when they become available.
I concur. I personally felt no difference and I had the LX for 5 days, driving it about 400 km.... but again, I'm driving conservatively to maximize my fuel economy. If you drive like this then maybe a stabilizer bar would make a difference...

Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Virtual
Another difference between the models is exterior color availability.

DX:
Blue Sensation Pearl
Milano Red
Crystal Black Pearl
Storm Silver Metalic

LX:
Blue Sensation Pearl
Milano Red
Crystal Black Pearl
Storm Silver Metallic
Taffeta White
Blackberry Pearl
Tidewater Blue Metallic

Sport:
Blue Sensation Pearl
Milano Red
Crystal Black Pearl
Storm Silver Metallic
Taffeta White
Blackberry Pearl
Tidewater Blue Metallic
Orange Revolution Metallic
ANOTHER good point! Boy, we Canadians have the bases covered hey? For me color did have a major impact in my decision-making since I was set on the Orange Revolution. I'm sure others would also consider the color of some importance. I figure if I'm paying that much for a car (and yes, I do consider this a good chunk of change even if it is an "economy" car), I darn well want the car in the color I most desire.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Another good point. Our tax in Ontario is 13% so figure an extra $559 for taxes (going from DX to Sport), making it really a difference of $4859....
Plus the cost of insurance each year when you mention you have a "sport" model =)

Old 10-27-2008, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
ANOTHER good point! Boy, we Canadians have the bases covered hey? For me color did have a major impact in my decision-making since I was set on the Orange Revolution. I'm sure others would also consider the color of some importance. I figure if I'm paying that much for a car (and yes, I do consider this a good chunk of change even if it is an "economy" car), I darn well want the car in the color I most desire.
Yup we've got it covered alright! As you can see, I wanted white.

Quick Reply: For the canadians is the sport worth the xtra $4000+?