2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WeatherTech Floor Liners Now Available!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 AM
^^^^ Thanks for the reply. I think I'll get the Weathertech liners only and not bother with the OE Honda all-weather mats.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Good plan! If I would have known WeatherTech existed before I bought my Honda all-weather mats, I wouldn't have gotten them at all. You really get far superior protection with the liners (not the WeatherTech MATS which also exist) and that custom fit.

I'm not sure if it will be cheaper to buy a full set (1st and 2nd row) or if the pricing ends up being the same. Right now the front only cost $142.95 plus tax, shipping included. I THINK that the rear ones are cheaper (1 big piece) however these have never been available in Canada or the US for any year of the Honda Fit. Apparently they are being developed, to be available (in the US anyways) some time in January.

FYI, a set of 4 Honda all-weather mats for the '09 Fit is $178.90 CAD plus taxes. The front WeatherTech liners are $142.95 CAD plus taxes. Just so everyone has an idea of cost. Can't wait to find out how much the rear liners will be! Undoubtedly the WeatherTech liners are the more costly alternative but given the custom fit and the scoop shape which would hold any wetness/salt/sand, I think they're the wisest and best purchase! Yes, I'm feeling bad that I spent that money on my Honda mats...darn it!

Originally Posted by FiveFreshFish
^^^^ Thanks for the reply. I think I'll get the Weathertech liners only and not bother with the OE Honda all-weather mats.

Last edited by FitCanada_Girl; 11-11-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Road salts include sodium chloride (NaCl), calcium chloride (CaCl2), potassium chloride (KCl) and magnesium chloride (MgCl2). The City of Calgary only uses sodium chloride and calcium chloride. Roads salts used for snow and ice control may be solid or liquid brines.
I'll order the WeatherTech mats this week. Calgary uses salt plus other chemicals that are probably just as hard to remove from carpets.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 AM
You can "pre-order" with WeatherTech Canada now. You just go through like a regular order but they'll send you an email confirmation, stating that there is a delay since it is a new product. Your credit card will only be charged once these ship from the warehouse. Best to put in an order NOW to be one of the first "in line" so to speak since I'd anticipate high demand once the snow starts to fly.

I never could get that white stains out of my Mazda's black carpets! I even tried a portable carpet cleaner and "salt removal" spray, to no avail. Hence why I feel justified in spending so much $$ on the WeatherTech liners. Best to PREVENT any salt/whatever damage to my carpets than to attempt a Spring clean-up....

I'll order the WeatherTech mats this week. Calgary uses salt plus other chemicals that are probably just as hard to remove from carpets.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Good plan. I'll also pick up a few cans of Scotchguard at Costco for added protection.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Right! I did put 1 quick coat on my seats and carpets when I got my car late September but an extra coat wouldn't hurt...

Good plan. I'll also pick up a few cans of Scotchguard at Costco for added protection.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 AM
New pictures of liners

Driver side:

Front passenger side:

I just received these new pictures from WeatherTech Canada/MacNeil as well as notice that these are at LEAST 3 more weeks away in Canada. I ordered October 31 and am first in line for the front liners...

Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Best way to get the salt out of car carpet is by using hot water ;-)

Old 11-13-2008, 10:08 PM
those beige liners look like dish pans...

i am going back and forth w/ those mats and liner thingy. there's no snow here and w/ the almost eternal drought i guess all i have to worry is dirt. maybe a good old OEM carpet mat will do the trick, and they cover front and back for less than the front liners alone. decision decision...

Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest
I wonder how many of those beige ones they'll sell. The Fit doesn't have a beige interior in North America, or anything close to beige.

I think most buyers will opt for black.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Yeah, not so "attractive" (if mats can be attractive that is) in beige. I'm getting black. One thing to consider is any plastic type liner/mat will show dirt/dust like crazy! First thing I noticed with my OEM all-weather mats was that they always look dirty. In that case, a carpet mat may be a better choice.

Only reason I'm spending this much $$ on the WeatherTech is since my area gets 5+ months of hard winter, with tons of snow. Our roads are treated with massive amounts of salt/sand so keeping car carpets clean is a major challenge.

i am going back and forth w/ those mats and liner thingy. there's no snow here and w/ the almost eternal drought i guess all i have to worry is dirt. maybe a good old OEM carpet mat will do the trick, and they cover front and back for less than the front liners alone. decision decision...

Old 11-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Yeah, not so "attractive" (if mats can be attractive that is) in beige. I'm getting black. One thing to consider is any plastic type liner/mat will show dirt/dust like crazy! First thing I noticed with my OEM all-weather mats was that they always look dirty. In that case, a carpet mat may be a better choice.
I just might get the grey so dirt/dust will be less visible.

You're right about the Honda mats always looking dirty.

Last edited by FiveFreshFish; 11-14-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Added floor mat pic from CanadianDriver test drive report
Old 11-14-2008, 01:23 PM
My guess is OEM all weather mat is made of vinyl (hence the initial bad smell) and vinyl is negatively charged (correct me if i am wrong) so they attract positively charged dirt like magnet. the weathertech mat/liner uses a different material so it probably will not look too dirty. i think the gray one is a bit too light in color.

anyone who already owns the weathertech liner/mat in black please comment the dirt issue - is it very easy to attract/show dirt?

Old 11-14-2008, 03:26 PM
The WeatherTech liners just became available for the 1st generation Fit this early Fall. Those for generation 2 began shipping just last week in the US and are still a minimum of 3 weeks away in Canada. So there really isn't much input people can provide on these in the Fit since the product is so new. This year will be the very first winter test!

My guess is OEM all weather mat is made of vinyl (hence the initial bad smell) and vinyl is negatively charged (correct me if i am wrong) so they attract positively charged dirt like magnet. the weathertech mat/liner uses a different material so it probably will not look too dirty. i think the gray one is a bit too light in color.

anyone who already owns the weathertech liner/mat in black please comment the dirt issue - is it very easy to attract/show dirt?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Well, I got my liners this weekend. The passenger side liner fits perfectly. My driver's side, on the other hand... It's like it's just a tad too wide for the space and it doesn't set into place perfectly like the other side.

Perhaps I need better light (it's overcast and it was edging on the end of the day when I put them in), but the driver's side wouldn't sit flat AT ALL and the result was the clutch pedal getting stuck behind the liner when depressed and released. NOT a safe situation at all.

The left and right sides of the liner are buckling slightly when I try to set it flat to the floor, indicating that they're getting a pinch somewhere and not fitting in correctly. I can't for the life of me figure out where that is, exactly. I removed the stock all weather mat and I might try removing the anchors, as well. Even though the liners have molding to accommodate the anchors, they MIGHT be interfering, but I doubt it.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
I started with cheap mats from wal-mart then it became apparent the 2nd day that there was no way that was going to work. They just slid all over the place. I then received the Fit Mats from College Hills. I never had them anchored, however that never seemed a problem. However I live on the coast and it has started to rain. Fit mats very sandy & dirty. I just got the Weather-Tech liners and I love them. I still have the sand however they just don't look as dirty and it is so nice not to have to vacuum every other day.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:55 PM
animes2k: call weathertech and tell them about the mis-fits and ask for a replacement. you don't want to pay a hundred gram for an unsafe mat.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey all you 2nd gen guys, I would highly recommend buying the Weather Tech mats over the factory ones. I have had the Weather Techs in all my cars in the past 8 years. I have a 1st Gen Fit and the factory mats leave a lot of bare carpet open to whatever is on your shoes. I have a very bad stain from the salt by the door sill. I tried to scrub it out but the cheap carpet began to wear through. Is the new Fit's carpet any better than 1st gen?

Old 11-15-2008, 10:33 PM
the weathertech so far is only for hte front row. what do you guys to covering the rear seat space?

Old 11-15-2008, 10:57 PM
These floor liners are made of a very rigid rubber. They just pop in place and never move.

Quick Reply: WeatherTech Floor Liners Now Available!!!