2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side moulding installation - easy DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
side moulding installation - easy DIY?

I just received the Fit side mouldings I ordered online. It looks like an easy self-install. But my girlfriend has zero faith in my handyman abilities and wants me to take it to a shop. It looks pretty foolproof. Anyone with experience? Thanks.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:23 AM
I took it to Honda and they did it for $100. I should've done it myself though because after it was all over with, I checked the tube and found INSTRUCTIONS. So the ****er and I were just EYEBALLING it. It's a little crooked but nobody would know lol.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by tacostand
I just received the Fit side mouldings I ordered online. It looks like an easy self-install. But my girlfriend has zero faith in my handyman abilities and wants me to take it to a shop. It looks pretty foolproof. Anyone with experience? Thanks.
Very easy with the instructions and templates. Just take your time and make sure everything is clean. I think they recommend not washing it for 24 hours after. Getting the plastic backing off the adhesive is by far the hardest part of the job. There is another thread somewhere on this topic, and I posted a pic.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
yeah.. that's pretty bad she doesn't trust you.. haha i just want to add, make sure you remove the wax from the doors first! wash the car then take another bucket of Liquid Dawn dish soap and rub down the part of the door where you are putting the moldings on with the sponge.. you will probably be able to feel the difference between the waxed and non waxed part. then make sure the car is completely dry and apply the moldings. then wax the car being careful if you wax the moldings too. you don't want to disturb the double sided tape too much while the adhesive sets up

Old 11-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by tacostand
I got mine and put them on a couple days ago. Very Easy! Just take your time. I got them from Collegehills. I think I had to print out the instructions from online. I'm not sure if they were included. Use the alcohol swabs to clean as directed.

It also depends on how well your girlfriend knows you, I guess.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:13 PM
It's EASY!!

Do not pay someone to do this!

It's easy and probably takes about 30-40 minutes taking one's time and making sure things are aligned.

When taping the templates down, use blue painters masking tape. Also, work in good light conditions so you can line the templates up with the crease in the doors that runs along the body through the door handles.

And yes, wash the car, make sure there is no wax on the surface. You can use something like Dawn as suggested. I have a big bottle of Griots Paint Prep spray that I use when doing things like this. Then use rubbing alcohol as a final prep, to clean away any oily remnants on the paint. And if you're working in cooler temps (i.e. below 60) consider using a heat gun or hairdryer to warm up the paint surface and the molding adhesive just a small amount to aid in adhesion. I did this last weekend mounting my Type R & RS badges.

Good luck!!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
You never know until you test the waters! I was the same way and had my Mugen door sills installed by some great guys at a local modified car shop. When I decided to add the Zeta Hatch piece I just decided to do it myself and it turned out just fine - I was worried it would be a mess but just take your time, look over the instructions, follow the order of application and you can have the pride in knowing that you put the work into your own car. Let us see some pictures when your done.

Cat :x