2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Brake Pedal Soft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
The Brake Pedal Soft?

Anyone else's brake pedal feel a little spongy?

Old 11-29-2008, 01:54 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
stainless steel braided brake lines will help with this.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:35 AM
Retired Moderator
Lightbulb

Yes the initial feel of the brakes is not the best... this is my one major issue with the GE8 USDM Fit.... the JDM GE8 did not have this feeling with the brakes....

But I have a set of Hawk HPS Pads and Stainless brake lines to fix this problem shortly.... along with a Big Brake kit to follow within the next few weeks...

I`ll post up when I get the brake lines and pads installed to let everyone know if thee is a difference in pedal feel..

Old 11-29-2008, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, my brakes are more spongy than on my GD3. I noticed it on the first test drive.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Same here. Anyone know how much a good set of pads and stainless brake lines installed at a brake shop would run normally?

Old 11-29-2008, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
I don't see how changing the pads will fix a spongy feel. Pads won't reduce in thickness with pressure applied. Do they offer better stopping power for the same pressure? Perhaps.

I do see how brake lines would affect this though.

If you're experiencing excessive sponginess then bleed the brake system to remove any air.

Last edited by Virtual; 11-29-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:26 PM
do a good abs stop, they should firm up a lil bit.. i do it when i pdi our cars

Old 11-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Retired Moderator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
do a good abs stop, they should firm up a lil bit.. i do it when i pdi our cars
I'll have to give this a try

Old 11-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
I don't see how changing the pads will fix a spongy feel. Pads won't reduce in thickness with pressure applied. Do they offer better stopping power for the same pressure? Perhaps.

I do see how brake lines would affect this though.

If you're experiencing excessive sponginess then bleed the brake system to remove any air.
Air in the line was my first thought. But most owners seem to have the same feel.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ein
Air in the line was my first thought. But most owners seem to have the same feel.
That's why I put in the word "excessive".

Old 11-29-2008, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ein
Anyone else's brake pedal feel a little spongy?

The only reason for spongy brakes is air in the brake lines or bending linkages. First, bleed yopur brakes by the book.
If irs still spongy change pads to harder compound. Hawk HPS 418 comes to mind.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Air can cause spongy pedal but so can pads if they have any concave shape to them at all or if there are corroded anti-squeal shims on the back. If someone runs sub-par pads for the condition on the track the pads actually wear with more wear in the center than on the edges, this creates a concave shape that needs compressing first before the whole pads touches the rotor causing more pedal travel before a firm pedal. The same would happen if there was corroded shims between the caliper piston and pads as the corrosion needs to compress before any force is exerted on the pads, causing a spongy pedal, stainless lines only help minimally, most people have a false idea that they make a major difference to pedal feel, they can help but not as much as people think, factory brake flex hoses have a layer of stainless braid in them already, only the outer layer is rubber for protection of the inner layers, stainless braided lines use more stainless braid on the outer layer for protection which is better and stronger in the fact it has better impact resistance with foreign objects and abrasion, but really doesn't make a huge difference on actual pedal feel on todays vehicles.

Since those complaining of poor pedal feel on the new Fits likely haven't driven on the track yet or have corrosion formed between the caliper piston and pad I will provide one more guess? Are those complaining driving vehicles equiped with VSA? Mine is not VSA equiped and the pedal feels great to me, as good as my race cars brake pedal feels...

Reason I ask about VSA is Honda recently released a bulletin for some of their other models pertaining to poor brake pedal feel and a new bleed procedure for making sure no tiny air bubbles are trapped in the VSA actuators, it involves using the HDS and actuating the solenoids manually while bleeding to create a vibration that dislodges trapped air bubbles that normally may not be released, might be worth a try for those that feel their brakes are spongier than they should be, remember this only really pertains to those who have VSA.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Don't have VSA.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by CRXsi#32
Are those complaining driving vehicles equiped with VSA? Mine is not VSA equiped and the pedal feels great to me, as good as my race cars brake pedal feels...

Reason I ask about VSA is Honda recently released a bulletin for some of their other models pertaining to poor brake pedal feel and a new bleed procedure for making sure no tiny air bubbles are trapped in the VSA actuators, it involves using the HDS and actuating the solenoids manually while bleeding to create a vibration that dislodges trapped air bubbles that normally may not be released, might be worth a try for those that feel their brakes are spongier than they should be, remember this only really pertains to those who have VSA.

The interesting....do you happen to have the bulletin # for that..??