2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Fit Sport Seats- Pain in Butt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
I know what you mean. I came from a Del Sol to a Fit, and the Del Sol had the most comfortable driving position ever, it was great. The seats in the Fit hurt my back for a little at first, but now I guess I'm used to them, as I have no more pain. Everyone else who rides in my car loves the seats.
My lower back hurt a bit at first too. I think it was due to the lower back area of the seat pushing into my lower back a bit more than I was used to. I'm used to it now, but if it were adjustable I might dial it down a bit...however my last car was adjustable in this area, and I always had it at 100% firmest lower back setting. So, I'd rather have the extra support than a lack thereof...thanks Honda!

Old 12-04-2008, 01:09 PM
The seats were one of the reasons I got the '09 Fit Sport. I had considered the Fit a couple of years ago but went with something else because the seats weren't comfortable. I love the new seats! They sit a bit higher which I greatly prefer.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Sitting in our 2003 Acura TL really causes me sciatic nerve pain after about fifty miles. I'm hoping for better from the '09 Fit (if it ever arrives). Frankly, I think the old butt has too many years on it. Probably wouldn't get much of a trade-in on a new one.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I've been thinking about this topic the last few times I've been in my Fit. I think the Fit is built for narrower people. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm guessing wider butts and larger people might have problems with the seat.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
I have no problems with the seats. Planning to get some Recaros Speed seats later on though.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cruzitude
Also, if you're like me and collect too much crap in your wallet, don't keep it in your back pocket while you drive for any extended periods.
No problems with the seats themselves, but I do have this problem sometimes if I forget.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by indypain
I had a '99 TL and seat was comfortable for me...especially like the height adjustment (I'm only 5'7") and also able to change angle of seat bottom. Now I have the sciatic nerve thing in the Fit so I guess I'm the opposite of you?

Think I'll try one of these gel seat cushions I've seen online and see if that helps!
If it helps, let us know. I'm about 6'1" and the edge of the Acura seat just seems to hit the wrong spot. I move it up and down, or tilt it but usually wind up putting a folded towel under that leg. Helps some. Hard to beat the car, though.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 PM
I have an 09 Sport and on 1.5 hr. or longer trips , my upper
right thigh and upper hip area start to ache .
I don't drive with my wallet in my back pocket so that isn't the
cause .
I was thinking that the seat is too low and that and the combination
of trying to maintain throttle position on an accelerator pedal that has
next to zero resistance was to blame
I've moved the seat into different positions and use the cruise control
as much as I can but have seen little or no improvement
Too bad the car does not have seat height adjustment .
My next step is to see if sitting on something that raises my butt up and
changes the angle of my right leg in relation to the throttle helps out .

Old 12-05-2008, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
I have no issue with the seats (other than wishing for heaters), but my wife gets a sore butt after 30 minutes or more. She (thankfully) doesn't have enough padding down there, so I had to buy a padded seat cover if we were ever going to take the Fit on any longer trips.

I ordered this: Wagan Ergo Comfort Heated Massage Cushion for just $45 and it exceeded my expectations, offering the padding my wife needed, a built in heater, and a surprisingly effective massage for three separate zones at two power settings. Given the low price, I wasn't expecting much. This might be an answer to your back problems.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by indypain
I've had my '09 Fit Sport for about 2 months now and have noticed that am experiencing some discomfort from seats, specifically pain in butt from sciatic nerve? I've had 4 Hondas and 2 Acuras and don't ever remember having this problem...3 Accords and both Acuras had height adjustable seat so I'm wondering if this is problem?

Would love to hear any comments/ suggestions from any one that has had same problem...I love my Fit but this is really starting to bother me. I've been looking online and in local auto stores for seat cushions but hate to think this is going to be a daily pain in the butt!

(I actually work for a medical practice specializing in back pain so am very familiar with this medical condition of sciatic nerve compression and related pain/ numbness!)

peace, out!
I think there are some minor flaws with my Fit seats. I think the bottom cushion is a tad too short, resulting in a little less thigh support than optimal. Also, I think the seat is mounted about an inch too low or so. If there was a height adjustment as in most modern cars, this would allow one to adjust this and gain better support. I think the front edge could be tilted up maybe 1/2 inch to better support the thigh and compensate for the too-short cushion. Minor carps. Tough to make a seat that fits everyone, which makes the lack of a height adjustment more puzzling. I would gladly pay a couple bucks more for a little more attention to detail in areas such as this.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
If you get one of these seat heater/massagers , make sure that it has
firm padding .
I got one by Obus Form and the foam got so soft after time that when I
sit on it now , I can feel the small massage motors .
A truly uncomfortable feeling that defeats the purpose of the unit in the
first place :-(

Old 12-08-2008, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
For what it's worth, the '09 owners manual cautions against the use of cushions on the back of the front passenger seat because of possible interference with the side airbag cutoff system (p29).

Old 12-08-2008, 06:40 PM
My fat ass fits surprisingly well in the Fit seats. My complaints about driving comfort are that the seat cushion is too short and that seat mounted armrest is useless to me.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 AM
wow, i feel like a miget compared to everyone else. im only 5'3 at 145lbs and i feel like the seats are too big for me. i like the feel of the latest model civic si. i have sparco fighters in my 94 civic dx and del sol seats in my 94 civic ex and i love them. although the sparco's start to hurt after 3-4 hours of driving. i feel like the fit's seats i cant "fit" in and is hard to sit in a good position. im hoping to do either recaros or brides in the future

Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 AM
the seats some times are rigid

Old 12-14-2008, 05:33 PM
I've noticed that I tend to place my right (throttle) foot too close when I get in, and it makes my hip hurt as described.
Try planting the throttle foot in the same plane as the dead pedal; when both feet are at the same distance, the problem goes away. It isn't hard to move the throttle foot further forward, tho' there's a tendency to plant closer.
Moon

Old 12-15-2008, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
You are right--the TL has many adjustments in the seat. Way more than the Fit, of course. I've tried all kinds of adjustments in our TL and just wish the seat had another inch or so of thigh support. I really think it's not the car--just me--but one big reason for us to order a Fit is for economical cross-countries. I'm going to keep experimenting until I find a comfortable position. Some of the posts here about foot position really got my attention.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:10 PM
For the record, a couple of YouTube reviews of the 2009 Fit mention more comfortable seats than the 2008. They look the same and seem the same to me when test driving, but who can tell in 10 minutes?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitforclimbing
For the record, a couple of YouTube reviews of the 2009 Fit mention more comfortable seats than the 2008. They look the same and seem the same to me when test driving, but who can tell in 10 minutes?
All you have to do is ask...

The seats are slightly larger than the 07-08's they are supposedly built for us larger sized Americans.... The seat backs are even larger than the JDM GE8 seat backs, which is why we (USDM) get screwed out of "Refresh" mode which was available on the previous Fits. The main reason I'm looking to get a JDM right side seat back so I can get refresh mode back. Those extra few inches should come in handy when hauling stuff.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Sonafagun. The shotgun seat WON'T go all the way flat in the '09.
Moon

Quick Reply: '09 Fit Sport Seats- Pain in Butt?