2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sub Installed (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by strmslvrfit
or you can go to a local best buy and get it the same day. with tax it should be about the same price.
I am also using this sub, but insteadof using the line-out converter, I just sliced into the rear speaker wires and ran those into the high-level inputs of the Bass600. (it has a line-out converter built-in).

Anyway, I agree with strmslvrfit - not earthshaking but does support the low end in a nice way. Mine is mounted on the floor between the rear seats. not as neat as this install, but easier and more secure (not visible from the outside when seats are down).

I was looking for a sweet sub that would go in the spare tire - pioneer used to make such a thing but has been discontinued I think. This boss sub is chap and small. Works for me.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
I am just curious... but why not think about doing a fiberglass trunk? I mean since some GE8 models dun come with the spare, might as well use that space for the subwoofer.

This is what I did to my trunk... did it cos a typical sub box occupied half the trunk already - and in order to fit our snowboarding gear / bike into the fit w/o putting a rack, this is the ONLY option. I took out the spare so even if I am stranded, I can call Honda PLUS roadside assistance.

Last edited by Guinness; 12-09-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by IfTheFoo
I am also using this sub, but insteadof using the line-out converter, I just sliced into the rear speaker wires and ran those into the high-level inputs of the Bass600. (it has a line-out converter built-in).

Anyway, I agree with strmslvrfit - not earthshaking but does support the low end in a nice way. Mine is mounted on the floor between the rear seats. not as neat as this install, but easier and more secure (not visible from the outside when seats are down).

I was looking for a sweet sub that would go in the spare tire - pioneer used to make such a thing but has been discontinued I think. This boss sub is chap and small. Works for me.
i didnt wanna splice into the rear speakers because just in case i change my deck, i can just re-connect the rca's to the new deck. just curious tho, did you use the bass switch knob thing? i didnt use it just cuz the sub didnt produce enough bass for me to need to adjust the levels.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:07 PM
i didnt wanna splice into the rear speakers because just in case i change my deck, i can just re-connect the rca's to the new deck. just curious tho, did you use the bass switch knob thing? i didnt use it just cuz the sub didnt produce enough bass for me to need to adjust the levels.
Yeah, I am using the remote volume control (I think that's what you're asking..). Ran it along the floor between the driver seat and console (in some plastic wire loom, along with power wires), to the panel above the accessory power outlet. I don't use it much, but every once in a while I listen to an album (on my flash drive) that need a little more oomph (like Jethro Tull/Songs from the wood)..

I am running my main sub power from the accessory outlet also (jumpered the remote turn-on to the main power at the sub)... I was worried about drawing too much power and blowing the acc. fuse, but so far so good. I do get a low-level hum from the sub, goes away I turn on my headlights. Weird. My guess is the DRL circuit is producing this. I only hear the hum when the headunit is off (or on with vol= 0), while sub is on. When music is playing, it sounds fine. (Hum still there, but masked by the music). If I ran my power from the battery, this would go away.

I could (and should) test this by removing the DRL fuse.. But being lazy, I'll leave that exercise up to the reader..

I'd recommend you think about replacing the door speakers with something of higher quality, that will make a big difference in your mid and high-freqs. Do some shopping, I found some Polks for less then 50/pair.

Cheers!

Last edited by IfTheFoo; 12-09-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
if you spliced into your rear speakers you wouldn't have to reconnect anything if you replaced your deck.......

Old 12-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by reako
if you spliced into your rear speakers you wouldn't have to reconnect anything if you replaced your deck.......
I was thinking the sam ting.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:26 PM
yea i know BOSS isnt that great of a brand but i coudnt find any other brand that made a powered sub in that size.

yes im using the stock head unit. i got a line out converter behind the stock head unit.
Pioneer makes one
Pioneer USA - Shallow Series

Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by KineticLogic
that still requires a subbox and an amp. mine does not.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Yep........anyway it gives me some cool ideas of a custom spare tire well installation! Adding a sub (one way or the other) will definitely be my next upgrade!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Exactly. The Boss includes enclosure, driver, amp and level converter.

An other solution would be a powered bazooka (which I've used to good effect) but the form factor is different.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 PM
hmmm u gave me an idea. RSX spare tire sub woofer......

Old 12-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Wouldn't something fit under the rear seats or is that space all taken up when the seats are down? Just wondering if I can get away with a slim sub under the passenger side rear seat?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by projekz
Wouldn't something fit under the rear seats or is that space all taken up when the seats are down? Just wondering if I can get away with a slim sub under the passenger side rear seat?
that space IS all taken up when the seats are down

Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
No Highs, No Lows, it's got to be Bose

Old 12-11-2008, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by reako
...I might as well do it right and hook up the new 12" JLW3v2 and 350w RMS Kenwood amp I have sitting around...

P.S. - You might consider getting a hatchback area cover to help protect your investment!
Just picked up a 12" sealed enclosure for the sub! I could spend $100 on one to fit the exact specs of my sub, hack my way through building one, or grab this one off Amazon for $30 shipped! Just ordered it, hoping for the best!

Amazon.com: Scosche Se12 12-Inch Subwoofer Enclosure: Electronics

Old 12-12-2008, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rehkopf
i had the infinity basslink in my is300 and it really does the trick as far as adding range to a factory stereo, wangin out the frame it does not! i just got an mtx 10" powered sub from circuit city for $90 sunday (going out of business sale) but after i brought it out to my car i decided it was too big, id sacrafice too much room. does anybody make a stealthbox for our cars yet?
Here's a link to the info page for the GD (07-08) Fit/Jazz JL Audio Stealthbox:

JL Audio: Products

Prices for similar JL Audio Stealthbox models lead me to believe pricing would be in access of $750.00! I doubt they are anywhere near getting a GE Stealthbox into production...plus, I'm all for clean installs, but I could do a lot to my car for that much money!! (don't forget to add amp/wiring costs...!!)

Old 04-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Guinness
I am just curious... but why not think about doing a fiberglass trunk? I mean since some GE8 models dun come with the spare, might as well use that space for the subwoofer.

This is what I did to my trunk... did it cos a typical sub box occupied half the trunk already - and in order to fit our snowboarding gear / bike into the fit w/o putting a rack, this is the ONLY option. I took out the spare so even if I am stranded, I can call Honda PLUS roadside assistance.

god man your car is freakin amazing. i wanna get a sub. i think i'm gonna buy a 12" fuzion sub kit from best buy. i have to get the cargo cover first cause i don't want people stealing my stuff. lol.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Nice work!!

Just finished replacing my stock front speakers with the Polk db651S' - probably use the same speakers in the rear doors. (I hear they're supposed to fit) Had these same speakers in my Subaru and really liked them. Definate improvement!!!

So, I'm considering putting in the Boss BASS600 (8" version) because I don't have much space. Thinking that I would wire it to slide (most of it) under the drivers seat (velcro to secure) and give myself enough wire slack to move around if needed.

Very curious about how you did that RCA splice into the head unit wiring harness. Were you able to use the "line level input" or do you use the "high level input" from that RCA coming from the HU??? Do you have to get the hot lead from the battery or .....?

I would love to go with the Infinity Basslink, but I fear it would be a pain in terms of getting in the way/ taking-up too much precious real estate. Do you like the Boss enough?? It's gotta be an improvement.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lancebeat1
Just finished replacing my stock front speakers with the Polk db651S' - probably use the same speakers in the rear doors. (I hear they're supposed to fit) Had these same speakers in my Subaru and really liked them. Definate improvement!!!

So, I'm considering putting in the Boss BASS600 (8" version) because I don't have much space. Thinking that I would wire it to slide (most of it) under the drivers seat (velcro to secure) and give myself enough wire slack to move around if needed.

Very curious about how you did that RCA splice into the head unit wiring harness. Were you able to use the "line level input" or do you use the "high level input" from that RCA coming from the HU??? Do you have to get the hot lead from the battery or .....?

I would love to go with the Infinity Basslink, but I fear it would be a pain in terms of getting in the way/ taking-up too much precious real estate. Do you like the Boss enough?? It's gotta be an improvement.

i used a line out converter, but as for the boss, yes it was big improvement, but if your coming from a conventional sub like me you might miss the deeper bass, that is why im selling my boss 1200 for 50 bux plus shipping, you interested?

Quick Reply: Sub Installed (pics)