2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sub Installed (pics)

Old 12-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Sub Installed (pics)

The fit was lacking a bit of bass so i bought a small Powered Sub from Boss Bass. now this isnt a sub that will hit hard. i just wanted something to gimme a lil bit of a bump and im pretty satisfied with the result. and keep in mind i also wanted to keep the trunk area usable while having a sub. so here are somepics.

Name:  IMG_3104.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  144.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3103.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  128.3 KB

i also cut out MDF wood and slid it underneath the fabric and used tack glue to keep it in place. i did that so i could mount the sub there without drilling through the metal.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
clean install, that's for sure. But BOSS is flea market stuff. Buy hey, if it works and your happy, then that's all that matters.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Are you using the stock head unit? If so, how did the wiring go on it? Did you have to splice into the door speakers? Not a big Boss fan either but looks like a pretty clean setup.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
clean install, that's for sure. But BOSS is flea market stuff. Buy hey, if it works and your happy, then that's all that matters.
yea i know BOSS isnt that great of a brand but i coudnt find any other brand that made a powered sub in that size.

Originally Posted by skyghene
Are you using the stock head unit? If so, how did the wiring go on it? Did you have to splice into the door speakers? Not a big Boss fan either but looks like a pretty clean setup.
yes im using the stock head unit. i got a line out converter behind the stock head unit.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:54 PM
So Does it sound better?

Old 12-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by AshPanda
So Does it sound better?
yes it does, the bass doesnt sound as punchy as it was just coming from the speakers. it sounds like my dads stock sub in his 06 BMW 330i

Old 12-08-2008, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by strmslvrfit
yea i know BOSS isnt that great of a brand but i coudnt find any other brand that made a powered sub in that size.
gotcha, Ive heard a lot of good things about the Infinity Basslink, but I'm not sure how large it is.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:10 PM
yea ive heard good things too, but the basslink is too big for me to mount the thing behind the seat.

Originally Posted by BakedCookies
gotcha, Ive heard a lot of good things about the Infinity Basslink, but I'm not sure how large it is.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
good job. something is better than nothing

Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Yet another install by strmslvr for me to be jealous of... Nice work man! Looks awesome, can you please elaborate on exactly where you ran the cables? (ex. through the door jams...under the carpet etc.) and where does the unit draw power from (ex. 12v outlet, or did you find a hole somewhere in the firewall to go to the battery?). I was seriously considering one of these...but if it's a hassle to run all that wiring back there, I might as well do it right and hook up the new 12" JLW3v2 and 350w RMS Kenwood amp I have sitting around. The Boss is the better option for space consideration.

P.S. - You might consider getting a hatchback area cover to help protect your investment!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:16 PM
i am actually getting the hatchback cover and the armrest for christmas from my parents

but as for the install, the hardest part was to find a way to get power from the battery to the sub cuz the firewall was so deep and hard to get to. so i found an easier way to wire it. i drilled a small hole near the clutch pedal and the power line went from the battery through the wheel well and it is tucked underneath the plastic wheel well cover and through the hole i drilled and just tucked the wire under the plastic cover along the sides and routed it towards the back. i used an 8 gauge kit btw. so then i got a line out converter so my factory head unit can have RCA outputs and i installed that behind the headunit, the headunit is actually pretty easy to take off once you take off the bolt. so i ran the rca's the opposite side of the power to the back. i work at best buy so i had help from the car audio installers over there. . i will post pics of where i ran the power wire and the hole i drilled later.

Originally Posted by reako
Yet another install by strmslvr for me to be jealous of... Nice work man! Looks awesome, can you please elaborate on exactly where you ran the cables? (ex. through the door jams...under the carpet etc.) and where does the unit draw power from (ex. 12v outlet, or did you find a hole somewhere in the firewall to go to the battery?). I was seriously considering one of these...but if it's a hassle to run all that wiring back there, I might as well do it right and hook up the new 12" JLW3v2 and 350w RMS Kenwood amp I have sitting around. The Boss is the better option for space consideration.

P.S. - You might consider getting a hatchback area cover to help protect your investment!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
i am actually getting the hatchback cover and the armrest for christmas from my parents

but as for the install, the hardest part was to find a way to get power from the battery to the sub cuz the firewall was so deep and hard to get to. so i found an easier way to wire it. i drilled a small hole near the clutch pedal and the power line went from the battery through the wheel well and it is tucked underneath the plastic wheel well cover and through the hole i drilled and just tucked the wire under the plastic cover along the sides and routed it towards the back. i used an 8 gauge kit btw. so then i got a line out converter so my factory head unit can have RCA outputs and i installed that behind the headunit, the headunit is actually pretty easy to take off once you take off the bolt. so i ran the rca's the opposite side of the power to the back. i work at best buy so i had help from the car audio installers over there. . i will post pics of where i ran the power wire and the hole i drilled later.
Cool, thanks for the info and the pics will be great! I believe the preferred method of getting the audio signal back to a subwoofer is indeed comming straight from the head unit, some just tap into the rear speakers, good call. Do you happen to have a link for where I can buy the line out converter?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Cool, thanks for the info and the pics will be great! I believe the preferred method of getting the audio signal back to a subwoofer is indeed comming straight from the head unit, some just tap into the rear speakers, good call. Do you happen to have a link for where I can buy the line out converter?
I'd like some info about the line out converter too. Any pics or even info on which wires to splice into would be much appreciated!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 PM
this is the one i used.
Scosche - 2-Channel Adjustable Line-Out Converter - Clear - LOC80

i am not sure which wire was spliced into for the audio portion for the line out converter but for the power portion we spliced into the cigarette lighter, so that it knows when to turn on when the car is on. ill try to find which one we spliced into on wednesday and take pics.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
this is the one i used.
Scosche - 2-Channel Adjustable Line-Out Converter - Clear - LOC80

i am not sure which wire was spliced into for the audio portion for the line out converter but for the power portion we spliced into the cigarette lighter, so that it knows when to turn on when the car is on. ill try to find which one we spliced into on wednesday and take pics.
Thanks for the link strmslvr! In case anyone want's to jump on this deal now...I was able to find the same thing on Amazon for $21.87 shipped:

Amazon.com: Scosche Loc80 2-Channel Adjustable Lineout Converter: Electronics

Old 12-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the link strmslvr! In case anyone want's to jump on this deal now...I was able to find the same thing on Amazon for $21.87 shipped:

Amazon.com: Scosche Loc80 2-Channel Adjustable Lineout Converter: Electronics
or you can go to a local best buy and get it the same day. with tax it should be about the same price.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Nice work man. You should have mounted it on the roof lol, thats what I want to do!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 PM
i had the infinity basslink in my is300 and it really does the trick as far as adding range to a factory stereo, wangin out the frame it does not! i just got an mtx 10" powered sub from circuit city for $90 sunday (going out of business sale) but after i brought it out to my car i decided it was too big, id sacrafice too much room. does anybody make a stealthbox for our cars yet?

Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rehkopf
i had the infinity basslink in my is300 and it really does the trick as far as adding range to a factory stereo, wangin out the frame it does not! i just got an mtx 10" powered sub from circuit city for $90 sunday (going out of business sale) but after i brought it out to my car i decided it was too big, id sacrafice too much room. does anybody make a stealthbox for our cars yet?
Wangin, huh??? Had to "urban dictionary" that one llol

-wangin-
Comin from the east side kno t.n. means to be bumpin like system is really loud and u lettin ya self be known.
"mike came through the hood wangin yesterday witth 4 12s"

Old 12-09-2008, 08:52 PM
that's how we roll in memphis, donks and 30's baby!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sub Installed (pics)