2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Like others here, I noticed the same issue at highway speeds. I recently switched from the stock tire size to 205/50-16's and as far as I can tell, the problem is solved, tracking is much more sure. Note this size is extremely close to the stock diameter (no speedo error), works well with the stock 6.0" rim width, and there's no rubbing.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by pbanders
Like others here, I noticed the same issue at highway speeds. I recently switched from the stock tire size to 205/50-16's and as far as I can tell, the problem is solved, tracking is much more sure. Note this size is extremely close to the stock diameter (no speedo error), works well with the stock 6.0" rim width, and there's no rubbing.
Good to know! Plus 205/50 are easier to find and probably cheaper then the 185/55 and 195/50. 205/45 don't have enough sidewall for me.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pbanders
Exactly. This proves my point. It's not sidewall flex that is the primary cause of the highway tracking. 205/50 = 185/55 sidewall. The extra contact patch size helps keep the car pointed straight. Now only if you can chisel away some of the chunky aero-unfriendly styling, problem will be completely gone.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by xdream
I also have a SSM Base auto and feel the same problem. Although the electric steering is precise, it does not feel connected to the driver. I'd prefer the old hydraulic over this electric system any day.
I wish they still made cars without power steering. My '93 Civic DX came with power brakes but nothing else (no power windows, locks, or steering), and the steering was wonderful. It sucked around parking lots, but driving old country roads was huge fun.
I do agree there is an unnatural feel to the electric power steering systems (my '02 EP3 felt the same), and I agree with others that better tires would probably improve the ride, handling, and tracking of the car.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Banned
You get used to it, also it does keep you awake on those long trips. Add winter tires and now it is getting even more "interesting". In the spring I will be looking at new springs and tires, getting on with the factory stuff, 27,000 kms on this car now.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Exactly. This proves my point. It's not sidewall flex that is the primary cause of the highway tracking. 205/50 = 185/55 sidewall. The extra contact patch size helps keep the car pointed straight. Now only if you can chisel away some of the chunky aero-unfriendly styling, problem will be completely gone.

The point is that not all tires of the same size have the same strength sidewalls. The stock Dunslops are cheap tires that have sidewalls so flimsy you can wad them in your hand. And known to be very squirmy on twisty roads. its easy to get car control falling behind steering inputs. There are other Dunlop tires that are light years better.
You can switch to another brand of better tire construction in the same size and the squirrelly feeling goes away so its not the contact patch (although that helps).

Last edited by mahout; 12-20-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Try adding a thousand pounds of weight. That ought to straighten it right out.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Put 2-3 more pounds of air in the front tires than the rear. It'll straighten right out.

Trick I learned on the Civic when its rear bushings were tearing.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
I noticed a lot on my GD, but after I got the Progress rear swaybar, it was mostly gone. It still needs attention on the freeway, but it doesn't feel darty anymore.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MPGASAP
Try adding a thousand pounds of weight. That ought to straighten it right out.
or two.

at least 10 characters.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polaski
Put 2-3 more pounds of air in the front tires than the rear. It'll straighten right out.

Trick I learned on the Civic when its rear bushings were tearing.
I will definitely try this as I drive on the highway predominately. I hope it works, thanks!!

Old 12-20-2008, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by demon666
I wish they still made cars without power steering. My '93 Civic DX came with power brakes but nothing else (no power windows, locks, or steering), and the steering was wonderful. It sucked around parking lots, but driving old country roads was huge fun.
I do agree there is an unnatural feel to the electric power steering systems (my '02 EP3 felt the same), and I agree with others that better tires would probably improve the ride, handling, and tracking of the car.

there is no way that the eps system on any generation fit is as bad as the ep3's. the fits eps is one of the most feed-back giving eps systems i've ever encountered.

it seems like a lot of folks here have not driven a gd3. all the reviews i have read have commented on the new found highway manner of the ge8, so maybe its just that everyone who didn't own a first gen can't appreciate the improvement.

and steering ratio has nothing to do with it. its those god awful 185's they put on the new fit.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eldaino
there is no way that the eps system on any generation fit is as bad as the ep3's. the fits eps is one of the most feed-back giving eps systems i've ever encountered.

it seems like a lot of folks here have not driven a gd3. all the reviews i have read have commented on the new found highway manner of the ge8, so maybe its just that everyone who didn't own a first gen can't appreciate the improvement.

and steering ratio has nothing to do with it. its those god awful 185's they put on the new fit.
I wonder if there's a difference in tracking/stability between the Dunlops and Bridgestones. I actually like my Dunlops - perfect balance between good ride, low noise and great grip. I'm convinced that the Bridgestones have far less grip than the Dunlops though. It's easy to see in a video I recently seen plus numerous lowly skidpad results. This may contribute to a difference in highway tracking as well.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I just finished a near 1k mile trip from Atlanta GA to NYC. The fit handled really well. This little engine that could - did finish the job very competently. I used cruise control most of the way and drove at mostly 65mph. The total trip used less than 25 gallon of gas. Even w/ 10% ethanol in it I still managed 38mpg in the worst tank. I was lucky that the weather had been perfect all the way. For the next 3 weeks I will be driving in NY's bad snowing/icy weather so I will report later as how it went. I am really impressed by this little baby!

p.s. I drove all the way nonstop except for food, shelter and rest room visits. This car kept me awake throughout the trip. I almost always required rest stop naps in the past.

EDIT: I forgot to add - the way from Atlanta to NY was mostly hilly mountainous terrain (I75-40-81-78). The Fit performed well and the mileage was still pretty impressive. Only twice did I noticed the engine reving up for a few seconds when going uphill. Also, driving at night on the highway was good too. Initially I worried about headlights being too low. Well it's not. It's great w/o any adjustment.

Last edited by Surviver of the Fittest; 12-21-2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 12-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I would buy the anti-roll bar that comes standard on the sport model and eventually upgrade to better tires.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:25 PM
I just drove my Australian spec Honda Jazz on the motorway and found it very stable for the most part, but a little sensitive to crosswinds and buffeting when passing B-Doubles. Our motorway speed limit is 110 km/h (about 65 mph).

I sort of expect this from a small car though. My car has the 15" steel wheels and Thai made Goodyear GT3 175/65x15 tyres. A big thumbs up for these compared to the Yokohama Aspec tyres on the GD3.

It does seem to have very little understeer for a FWD car and on looking underneath, it has a rear anti-roll bar in the form of a 1/2" steel rod inside the 'U' section of the axle, and welded to the trailing arms at both ends, with a rubber bush in the middle. Do the USDM Fits have this?

The U channel of the twist beam is on the right, and you can see the 1/2" rod inside it. The brake hose is in the foreground.

To the right of this picture you can see where they've welded the rod into the trailing arm.

If your Fit doesn't have this, an aftermarket bolt-in rear anti-roll bar may cure your problem.

Last edited by rosswond; 12-22-2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: added photos
Old 12-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Are we mainly talking about the Base model? Is the 09 Sport markedly better?

Old 12-22-2008, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
'09 Interstate Manners

Interesting thread. When I picked up my '09 Navi I was shocked at the way it handled changing lanes on the interstate! It felt like it was pivoting at a point behind the front seats, very scary. I was cutting pretty quick from lane to lane being used to my '08 Fit's go-cart-like handling. I took the car to the dealer ASAP and they immediately put it on the alignment machine without a test drive. Very suspicious, since they wouldn't do it on the "08 when it was new (an independent shop later set the front toe to correct the minor drift to the left). The alignment specs on the '09 showed the left REAR toe as 0.37". The specs were 0.00" to 0.20"; all the other specs were within the specified ranges, but were consistently different left and right. Somehow I wasn't given an "after reading" and, when I asked how they adjusted the non-adjustable rear toe, they mumbled something about "moving" the bushings. I knew this was crap, but about half the instability was gone. Another dealer drove it (of course, not on the interstate) and said it was fine.
I was going one more time to a dealer and then apply Georgia's lemon law and get a new car, but I slid off a twisty mountain road and flipped over when the vertical bank I slid sideways into didn't give any and bounced me back on the road. VERY EXCITING RIDE! It had Dunlops. Don't accept bad handling on the interstate as a cheap-tire issue, make sure your car is not bent!
PS my third Fit will be here the first of January and the only accessory I asked for was an alignment print out.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by bluebledthesea
Are we mainly talking about the Base model? Is the 09 Sport markedly better?

It was during my test drive.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dmckean
I would buy the anti-roll bar that comes standard on the sport model and eventually upgrade to better tires.

That anti-roll bar is integrated (possibly welded) into the rear suspension.

If it can be done (and most things can) be prepared for a bear of a job.

Quick Reply: Highway handling