2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Sport impressions after two months

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Keeping the Fit Affordable

When Honda designed the Fit, they had low cost, practicality and effecientcy in mind. For the love of God it's a subcompact. It's basically the lowest form of a car that is yet affordable and fun to drive. I know no coolant temperature gauge, no outside thermostat, no more driver/passenger shoulder switch that allows you to slide the seats without pulling the bottom bar (bet a lot of you forgot about that from the GD3), unstability on freeway, etc, etc.

The major plus in my opinion for me is if you consider all the options and match it with a Civic DX or even LX, the Fit is well optioned. Even the base has AC while the Civic DX doesn't. Not to mention the price difference! It's resilient in utility, great MPG, incredible handling, aerodynamically designed for a subcompact and driver friendly. All I can say, I give Honda props for keeping my Fit affordable.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by 1LegitFit
When Honda designed the Fit, they had low cost, practicality and effecientcy in mind. For the love of God it's a subcompact. It's basically the lowest form of a car that is yet affordable and fun to drive. I know no coolant temperature gauge, no outside thermostat, no more driver/passenger shoulder switch that allows you to slide the seats without pulling the bottom bar (bet a lot of you forgot about that from the GD3), unstability on freeway, etc, etc.

The major plus in my opinion for me is if you consider all the options and match it with a Civic DX or even LX, the Fit is well optioned. Even the base has AC while the Civic DX doesn't. Not to mention the price difference! It's resilient in utility, great MPG, incredible handling, aerodynamically designed for a subcompact and driver friendly. All I can say, I give Honda props for keeping my Fit affordable.
what he said

Old 01-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by No_Skillz
We don't get anything like those fancy displays in our cars. It'd be nice if Honda would give the USA some of it's cool stuff.

And I would also like to add to my (short) list of complaints: NO COOLANT TEMPS?!?! Just a little light doesn't cut it...
You don't get the display, but you CAN get the navi, and VSA. We can't get either of those things, I expect because of cost - it wouldn't be a popular option here at over A$4,500, when for $A300 you can get one to put on top of your dash, or for the same money you can buy a Civic (dunno why you would if space is a criterion, but not everyone buys a bigger car for more space).

The coolant gauge isn't there because no-one else does it either in this class. What I don't get is that when the sensor is there (the ECU needs it) and in Australia the display is there, the cost to incorporate a gauge into that would be cents. They already have the algorithm from the fuel consumption one. Just put in a second one with different parameters. Mitsubishi did it with the new Lancer. Maybe the problem is memory capacity?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
One more thing to add. The Fit is well liked by just about every generation of people... not just Asians either! I know the Civic's popularity is high, but they have been around 20 years now with the current 8th generation model. The Fit in the US is on their 3rd year, 2nd generation and look at it's popular fan base and culture impact! Not bad if I say so myself!

Old 01-01-2009, 02:53 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by No_Skillz
This car is extremely unstable if there is any turbulent air or heavy wind. On the freeway doing 70ish, I can clearly feel the car twitch about as a large car or truck passes. On a windy day (such as today) the excitement factor of the commute to work was definitely kicked up a notch.

Doesn't really bother me, but a tad unsettling.
My '08 struck me the same way. I've owned Subarus before the Fit, and Subies feel like they are glued to the road, so the relative wind-related instability Fit was really noticeable to me. I put a Beatrush front undertray on the car to try to improve gas mileage, and didn't the darn thing make a world of difference in terms of stability. The car is much more stable in crosswinds; although a strong wind directly from the side will still be felt, it won't move the car off its path. Around big trucks I don't feel much of anything anymore, which I must say was the most pleasing improvement to me; I swear trucks swing a little closer to our little cars just to watch them wiggle. Well tough beans trucker, mine doesn't wiggle anymore. I also notice the additional stability when taking on- and off-ramps at my, err, 'sporting' pace. If Laile/Beatrush ever comes out with one for the new Fit, I'd recommend giving it a try.