2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prospective Fit buyer has questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Prospective Fit buyer has questions

Hi guys! I'm strongly considering purchasing a Fit Sport within the next week, and I have a few questions.

First, has anyone tried putting an adult bicycle into the Fit? The Fit website shows a bike in the "utility" configuration, but the front wheel had to be removed. Some reviews and websites have suggested that a bicycle will fit when the car is in "Tall" mode, when the rear seats tip up. Is this true? I'd like to be able to leave the rear for cargo instead of having my bike take it up.

Second, would it be cheaper to buy options from the dealer and have them install it, or to buy it online/elsewhere and have it installed by the dealer or some other auto shop? All i want are the body side moulding, rear bumper applique and center armrest. (To give you an idea, one dealer has quoted me the prices as $302, $109, and $342 respectively for parts and labor) Sadly, I have no mechanical skills whatsoever so I don't want to risk installing them myself.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by Chronoknight
Hi guys! I'm strongly considering purchasing a Fit Sport within the next week, and I have a few questions.

First, has anyone tried putting an adult bicycle into the Fit? The Fit website shows a bike in the "utility" configuration, but the front wheel had to be removed. Some reviews and websites have suggested that a bicycle will fit when the car is in "Tall" mode, when the rear seats tip up. Is this true? I'd like to be able to leave the rear for cargo instead of having my bike take it up.

Second, would it be cheaper to buy options from the dealer and have them install it, or to buy it online/elsewhere and have it installed by the dealer or some other auto shop? All i want are the body side moulding, rear bumper applique and center armrest. (To give you an idea, one dealer has quoted me the prices as $302, $109, and $342 respectively for parts and labor) Sadly, I have no mechanical skills whatsoever so I don't want to risk installing them myself.

No idea about the bike. I don't think an adult bike would, because I honestly doubt my dads bike would fit in my car. He has a Santa Cruz Heckler if that helps.

As far as getting accessories. Go to Genuine Honda Accessories at Discount Prices - Honda Product Information, Videos and News and get prices there, bring those to the dealer, and tell them you want them for the price on that website. You could even tell them you want one thing free, like the rear bumper applique or something like that.

Oh, and what dealership are you using in CA?

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
I had a 2002 Toyota Matrix and could fit 2 bikes sans the front wheels in the back attached to the rail when the seats were down. Granted I'm a fairly short guy (5' 6") so my mountain bike wasn't that big.

I'm pretty sure my bike will fit with the seats in Tall Mode. I haven't tried it though. Your best bet would be to measure the length of your bike and then take a tape measure to your dealer and see.

or you can just ask if you know the width and height of your bike. Someone here will surely help you.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 AM
I can fit 2 mountain bikes without front wheels in mine when the seats are down.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Get the dealer to make a package deal for you. I basically told them which accessories I wanted, then told them I would go for their prices if they increased the trade-in for my old car by X amount. After a little haggling I got a pretty good deal, I think (the nose mask was basically free). I bet you can say "I'll buy A, B, and C if you throw in D for free."

Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 PM

My 2007 fit is just a little too narrow in tall mode to store my bike, without removing the front wheel. If the 2009 is any wider I think it would Fit

Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
as far as options.... definitely install it yourself.

here's wat the dealer was trying to charge me:

$190 for a/s floor mats (installed)
$125 for wheel locks (installed)

during the negotiation, i basically calculated all the labor
out of the prices and got the stuff as if i bought it at
collegehills or something online and i installed it... and then
some.

so i got a good deal on my GE8.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I want the body side molding. And I'm considering the back bumper applique (after seeing the black dirt dribble onto my white bumper from the rear wiper), as well as the splash guards for my base.

They want a fortune!!! But I did see that if I use the Honda eStore, that I can check dealer prices online (just the dealers who participate).
http://estore.honda.com

And the prices DO vary by dealership, both for the cost of the item and the cost of installation. If you have several in your area, pick the one that is least expensive. But it doesn't make sense to spend 10 bucks on gas to save 5 bucks on installation. LOL!

Unless you have a reason to go out of your area, like to visit family or do shopping, then it might be worthwhile to go to a farther dealership and get a better price on several things.

My local dealership (Serramonte) has the install prices for the options you mentioned as being $268.00 (molding), $81.36 (bumper), $332.80 (armrest).

That is a sizable difference. And it's less than the downtown SF dealer, and more than the Burlingame dealer. With the Serramonte store, I can wander down the hill to the Target store for a few hours. Browse, eat mystery food, browse some more.

As much as I hate those prices, I'd rather have the dealer do it. They should know exactly what they are doing. And if they don't, I can poke at them and have them make it right. If I take the parts to someone else, and they get the molding crooked, what am I going to do?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 PM
We purchased the cargo cover, the center armrest, all-weather mats, and cargo tray, and wheel locks and reaquested they be un-installed.

Some items we purchased on top of our purchase price and some were purchased online (better pricing in our case).

They said the wheel locks were already installed before they got to them to say don't install the accessories. We had no problems installing the other things ourselves.

As for the bike... what kind of bike are you trying to fit (no pun intended)? Road, mountain, etc? Also, what size bike?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Thumbs up Body Side moldings are Very Easy to put on .

I'm not the worlds most mechanical person , but the body side moldings were no problem . Just take your time and use the Template and Voila ! I got mine from College hills honda site . I think they were about $145.00
plus shipping . Don't pay those dealer install prices .
I don't have the bumper applique but that should be easy also . Not sure about the center console however .

Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 AM

Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies guys! I just went to a dealership yesterday to take a Fit for a test drive and now I'm totally sold. I should be purchasing later this week.

I'm trying to fit a mountain bike. It is 5ft 6in long and 3ft 3in tall (4ft 8in long if I turn the front wheel sideways, if that helps). If anyone has a 09 Fit, can you go out and measure to see if this fits in your Fit? Worst case scenario, I have an old universal bike rack out in my garage that I can use, so this won't kill the deal for a Fit.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies guys! I just went to a dealership yesterday to take a Fit for a test drive and now I'm totally sold. I should be purchasing later this week.

I'm trying to fit a mountain bike. It is 5ft 6in long and 3ft 3in tall (4ft 8in long if I turn the front wheel sideways, if that helps). If anyone has a 09 Fit, can you go out and measure to see if this fits in your Fit? Worst case scenario, I have an old universal bike rack out in my garage that I can use, so this won't kill the deal for a Fit.
How wide is it if you turn the front wheel sideways?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 AM
I'll measure that and get back to you, but the wheel is 26 inches in diameter and I think it's the widest part.

Quick additional question: For the USB music playing capability, can it play songs in random order (shuffle mode)?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 AM
I'll measure that and get back to you, but the wheel is 26 inches in diameter and I think it's the widest part.

Quick additional question: For the USB music playing capability, can it play songs in random order (shuffle mode)?
Hit the "RDM" button over on the right. If you hit it once, it will shuffle within the folder. If you hit it twice, it will shuffle all songs (look at the upper right of the display to see which RDM you're using).

Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member

Where is it going that you want measured? I have crap on the floor in the back seat area, I have initiated "tall mode", so I can't put down the seats without pulling out all the crap. Besides, it's 5 AM, and I'm my bathrobe.

Would the specs help? At least for the rear seat area width:
2009 Honda Fit - Specifications - Official Honda Web site

And don't forget you have the ability to fold the front seat, back or forwards:
2009 Honda Fit - Seating Modes - Official Honda Web site

And over on the Jazz site, it shows the full bike with the front tire on:
Honda Jazz Interior | Honda Fit (Jazz) Japan Car of the Year

I'd guess it would depend on how big the bike is, and sliding the front seat as far forward as you can. You probably don't want to put the bike tire on the fabric of the front seat by reclining the front seat.

There's no doubt that it will fit in the FIT. It's just how it will fit.
---

Every time I make a little trip in that car, I am just so pleased. So incredibly pleased. Things like the visibility are so awesome.

There's even a way to totally stretch out, not just by putting the back seats flat, but by putting the FRONT seats flat:
http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008_...images_009.jpg

They call it "refresh mode"
Refresh mode: Remove the front seat headrests and put the front seats in full reclining position to stretch out across the front and rear seats for a rest.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
There's even a way to totally stretch out, not just by putting the back seats flat, but by putting the FRONT seats flat:
http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008_...images_009.jpg

Refresh mode: Remove the front seat headrests and put the front seats in full reclining position to stretch out across the front and rear seats for a rest.
Has anyone tried "refresh mode" in an 09? I was all excited about it but the dealer told me the 09 has been reconfigured so that it won't work. I haven't tried yet.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blythe
Has anyone tried "refresh mode" in an 09? I was all excited about it but the dealer told me the 09 has been reconfigured so that it won't work. I haven't tried yet.
Should work:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/7451/200...a-fit-preview/

And here:
The Honda Portal: 2nd Generation Honda Fit, 2009 for us North Americans

Oh, and here are some measurements, for the last model, in cm,
http://www.honda.co.jp/dog/honda-car.../fit-p-004.jpg

Which I found from this post:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...html#post23695

" The Japanese Fit site shows the available room with the rear seats folded flat to be 146 centimeters (57.48"), and 103 centimeters (40.5") between the rear wheel wells. "

Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Where is it going that you want measured? I have crap on the floor in the back seat area, I have initiated "tall mode", so I can't put down the seats without pulling out all the crap. Besides, it's 5 AM, and I'm my bathrobe.
Could you measure the area of the seat well in Tall Mode? Like from door to door inside, rear of front seat to front of back seat, floor to ceiling?

Old 01-07-2009, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
There are quite a few people who have fit their bikes in the Fit some without taking the front wheel off.. Look at these threads ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tall-mode.html & https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-fear-not.html
http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008_honda_fit_images_009.jpg

Nope unfortunately for the 2009 USDM Fits the refresh mode will not work. The front seats are larger for us Americans, I guess they are trying to tell us something. Refresh mode works in the previous US Fits, and in current Fits sold outside the US.

***edit
Originally Posted by blythe
The seat backs are about 4" too tall. More info in these threads ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...hlight=refresh & the solution in this thread ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post539742
specifically
Originally Posted by FitStir
Since the seat base is shorter would that make refresh mode work on the US GE8?

If so would it be a direct swap or are the rails different/other parts needed?
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Yes and Yes( direct bolt up )
For now the only option to make refresh mode work is to order the JDM right side seat back and do the swap. Unless you want to cut off ~4" off the top of the seat.
It looks like I will be doing this mod, just a matter of time depending on the $$$.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ts-09-fit.html

Last edited by FitStir; 01-07-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added links/info
Old 01-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the links, but in those threads the people did remove the front wheel. I'm trying to find out if it'll fit with the wheel on.

Quick Reply: Prospective Fit buyer has questions