2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
View Poll Results: What transmission do you have in your Fit
Manaul
56.74%
Automatic
43.26%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Manual or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
Well I dont think you are out of line with your points. When I buy a Maxima, I get the automatic, but lots of torque there and Nissan shifters arent as good as Hondas. I think on the GD's the manuals were about a second or more faster in the 1/4 mile (GE's would be about the same) Fact is a manual makes the most from a low torque motor like the Fit's.

2nd
The fit shifter IS excellent and clutch effort is about as low as it gets.

3rd "need to harden the F* up"
.....a little harsh on the surface, but good over all advice for North Americans who on average, tend to be a little lazy and over weight.

Yes, well, when I get told to "harden up" when I'm disabled, I do tend to take offense. And then Kelso gets a negative rep from me for being insulting to me with the comment. He didn't like that, and negative repped me for MY being insulted.

So, I don't want to spend my time in such a place where I cannot have an opinion, where I cannot have a car I love and am proud of without being insulted because of it. It's not good enough to go out and pay cash for a FIT, no...I'm supposed to have gotten the kind of FIT that Kelso likes.

Doesn't matter if I am disabled. Nope, supposed to endure additional pain because Kelso says so. Right?

When I try really hard to help out, by finding cars and part numbers for people. And this is what I get? My automatic base is not good enough. I didn't see that it was a requirement to have a manual or a sport or nav or add-ons, it just said "fitfreak"...I must not be freaky enough to fit in here.

Thanks so much for the wonderful world of jerk trolls, Kelso. You go right ahead and tell people what they should drive to make you happy, and feel free to continue to insult everyone who doesn't do what you want.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Retired Moderator
I have a AT, only cause the Fit was supposed to be my moms before i bought it off them. Should have just got a MT though. Im not a fan of ATs in slow cars. I still drive it like a MT though, paddles everyday, and i still AutoX it and all that. Its just a lot slower off the line heh. In traffic its nice though.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Yes, well, when I get told to "harden up" when I'm disabled, I do tend to take offense. And then Kelso gets a negative rep from me for being insulting to me with the comment. He didn't like that, and negative repped me for MY being insulted.

So, I don't want to spend my time in such a place where I cannot have an opinion, where I cannot have a car I love and am proud of without being insulted because of it. It's not good enough to go out and pay cash for a FIT, no...I'm supposed to have gotten the kind of FIT that Kelso likes.

Doesn't matter if I am disabled. Nope, supposed to endure additional pain because Kelso says so. Right?

When I try really hard to help out, by finding cars and part numbers for people. And this is what I get? My automatic base is not good enough. I didn't see that it was a requirement to have a manual or a sport or nav or add-ons, it just said "fitfreak"...I must not be freaky enough to fit in here.

Thanks so much for the wonderful world of jerk trolls, Kelso. You go right ahead and tell people what they should drive to make you happy, and feel free to continue to insult everyone who doesn't do what you want.

okay you are a different case and its fine that you have an automatic. besides, what do you care what other people think? if you love your car, than love it. dont let anyone elses OPINION get in your way. your situation with being disabled isnt a good one, but that doesnt give you the right to be hyper sensitive. i dont give out pity parties to everyone that has endured a hardship. toughen up!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by dmckean
I want to know how a manual is any harder to drive in traffic than an automatic??
I certainly don't think driving a manual is any harder to drive in traffic than an automatic. I LOVE my manual transmission Fit and drive a lot in stop/go traffic and lots of stop lights. I have never gotten tired of shifting in traffic - if anything, I "zone out" and feel more tired in heavy traffic when I'm driving an automatic because I get bored and sleepy....

My poor little Fit was snowed in for a week and I couldn't get it out of my condo parking lot so I rented an automatic PT Cruiser for a week. It made me appreciate my Fit a whole lot more! At least for me, the driving experience is more fun with the Manual and I feel safer because I'm more in control and involved with the driving experience. But I certainly do understand why some people prefer automatics - I'm just not one of them :-)

Old 01-09-2009, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
I want to know how a manual is any harder to drive in traffic than an automatic??
Well it is more difficult to have sex with your girl friend while driving a manual. Er I dont mean your girl friend, as far as I know she is not that type of girl.................................

the point is let's lighten up it is personal preference!!

Taffeta White, I hear you brother, I am mentally disabled evidenced by my posting and my choice of transmissions. Good thread tho, lots of passion
And I reread all the posts, I really really do not think kelso directed anything personal at you, I think he just addressed the overall tone of the thread (manual is garbage, or I drive in traffic type posts)

Last edited by Tork; 01-09-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here but I opted to get a automatic also. The reason why I got an AT fit was because I hate driving in traffic with a manual since I live in chicago... But I did used to have a 2000 honda civic si, and I luv that thing to death literally lol... But the AT fits feel pretty peppy for a automatic. Unlike other cars I test drove, the fit feels good as an AT otherwise I would've opted for the manual. But I luv my new Fit!!!! Oh and by the way I gave u rep point Taffeta White, I also am disabled with rheumotoid artiritis and I'm only 20..

Old 01-09-2009, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
In Canada the paddle shifters aren't an option for the AT. If they were an option I would have at least test drove both to compare them. However, I find a standard transmission lends itself to a more engaging driving experience. It was an easy decision for me.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:07 AM
mt, at in the future we'll all be controlled by robots

Old 01-09-2009, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
MT here, after coming from a motorcycle i get so bored driving an automatic car (the family's corolla) i had to get a manual for myself. it does get a little annoying in rush hour traffic but instead of stop and go i just roll VERY slowly. I dont care if the guy behind me in an auto gets pissed off cuz im leaving space in front, we're all stuck in traffic anyways what difference does it make to go 1 sec faster? i dont like using my brakes for no reason

Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by panda1314
MT here, after coming from a motorcycle i get so bored driving an automatic car (the family's corolla) i had to get a manual for myself. it does get a little annoying in rush hour traffic but instead of stop and go i just roll VERY slowly. I dont care if the guy behind me in an auto gets pissed off cuz im leaving space in front, we're all stuck in traffic anyways what difference does it make to go 1 sec faster? i dont like using my brakes for no reason
WERD!
I had my RSX for 6 years and still had good brakes. I hardly every step on the brakes. Plus it saves gas. lol

Old 01-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Roland
I would be interested in hearing feedback from AT drivers about their experience with the paddle shifts in comparison with driving a MT. I've only driven one for a few minutes so don't have a good feel for them. Re: "more of a connection" with the car. Maybe again it's just a personal thing, but I feel in more control with a manual. I control the shifts, when/where/how, no surprises, especially in snow. It's also more fun for me to drive.
check out my initial review on my Fit Blog in the newbs section. i posted
some comments over there about a week or so back.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:59 PM
I drive about two hours a day in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I had a MT Jetta, and I was constantly riding the clutch. If I was on a downhill, I'd just put it in neutral and roll. I don't have to mess with any of that with the AT, so AT Fit for me.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
Well it is more difficult to have sex with your girl friend while driving a manual. Er I dont mean your girl friend, as far as I know she is not that type of girl.................................

the point is let's lighten up it is personal preference!!

Taffeta White, I hear you brother, I am mentally disabled evidenced by my posting and my choice of transmissions. Good thread tho, lots of passion
And I reread all the posts, I really really do not think kelso directed anything personal at you, I think he just addressed the overall tone of the thread (manual is garbage, or I drive in traffic type posts)
Make that "I hear you sister". And I realized that I took it way WAY too personally. My old car broke down Dec 23, 2007. I have been walking since then, until I bought the FIT, on Dec 19, 2008. Yes. Walking.

Walk to the store. Every few days. A couple miles. Load groceries into the folding cart I bought, and walk home. A couple miles. Pouring rain? Yup, still have to get groceries.

And it was so painful sometimes. It was getting even more painful, and that was when I decided I just had to get a car. HAD to. Even when I tried to ride the bus, to a doctor's appointment, I fell in someone's lap.

I'm so glad to be able to get around again. I am able to go beyond two miles from my home now. Not Kelso's fault that the wrong thing was said at the wrong time. Probably didn't expect that kind of response. And he obviously didn't know my personal situation.

How can anyone know, though, what is going on with other people? Nobody here reads minds.

If the admins can remove the negative rep I sent Kelso's way, that would be good. He didn't know.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Fat, and lazy.

A/T for me. This thing is fun to drive, even with the A/T!

She hasn't driven Mister Fitster since we got him, but she can if need be because its an A/T.

I drive all day to and from jobs, so if I could find a car that drove itself, I would buy it!

I had manuals and I had fun with them.

No mo manuals for me, lest it be a Stingray or some exotic other!

Fat and lazy (and older, now), I remain,

Craigster, The Loxmyth

Old 01-09-2009, 06:46 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
hey taffetawhite, no hard feelings. i really didnt mean to direct anything at you. sorry if you took it the wrong way. as for the negative rep points, whats done is done but a little word of advice before you give out more negative reps, if your rep power means that much to you, be careful who you neg rep. some people have alot of rep power like myself,( it doesnt really mean anything other than i have alot of friends on this site) but a neg rep from you didnt really hurt me at all but i know that the neg rep from me killed your rep stats. just post in the "does anyone really care about rep points" thread. you will get repped daily by alot of people. good luck with the site and try not to be so sensitive in the future

Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Thumbs up Very interesting Topic . My personal Take is ...

I test drove both and couldn't see any difference in accelerating ability between the Auto and Stick . I've driven a stick for 20 years and found it hard to make that decision , but I can drive the auto in Sport mode with the paddle shifters when I want . The price I paid for the Auto in Georgia was equal or less than the price I would have paid in Alabama for a Manual . The gas mileage is about the same . It's easier in heavy traffic . We have had only manuals in our Husband/Wife family (a friend recently had a major climbing accident where he broke his heel and had to borrow a car from a family member ) We're also very active so this hit home . And for the final reason , I can drive a true manual whenever I want because I still have my 95 Civic hatch with a stick and about 120,00 miles on it !
Best of both worlds !

Old 01-12-2009, 02:30 AM
i choose MT over At just because i get bored as hell driving an AT car, before my MT fit i used to drive a 2001 AT mazda protege, the car was nice, great mpg but man do i got bored driving it, when i drive my fit i feel like im having fun but if i would've bought it with an AT i think it would be just like driving any other car. i think it's all about preference and for what you want the car, im a young kid who likes to get my fit above 6000rpms once in a while and i know that it's gonna be more fun in an MT than in a AT.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:57 AM
I went to the dealership in San Jose and said I only wanted to drive manual, so I was shown a few Civic SIs and then I asked about the fit. There was only one fit with a manual transmission that day and now it's mine.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:41 PM
MT for life..I will never own an AT.. Racing enthusiast so that might have something to do with it? I just find myself more in control of my car and fun to drive..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by MRKIDD
MT for life..I will never own an AT.. Racing enthusiast so that might have something to do with it? I just find myself more in control of my car and fun to drive..
Same here. I will always go MT

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic