2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TWM Shift Knob Review (M1 Abrams knob in gun blue finish)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 PM
TWM Shift Knob Review (M1 Abrams knob in gun blue finish)

Just wanted to start a thread to do a review on a great shift knob that I just received.

I contacted TWM performance www.twmshiftknobs.com as I was interested in a round shift knob. After much discussion with Frank (awesome guy, quick to return emails, has lots of info) I decided on the M1 Abrams knob in the gun blue finish, you can see the knob pics here:

TWM Performance Weighted Shift Knobs - M1 Abrams Shift Knob

I ordered the knob on Thursday morning, by Thursday evening I had an email confirmation and a tracking email from UPS, and on Monday I received my knob. This thing is a work of art, and the gun blue finish is very cool. I snapped a couple of quick pics of the knob before I installed it, they're not the best pics, but I'll get more this weekend of the knob installed.

Some notes about the knob:

* The knob has a height adjustment by using the two threaded inserts, very cool feature (there is probably an inch or more of adjustability here)
* Frank stated that the gun blue finish is very durable (which is good since my fiancé likes to destroy things)
* The gun blue finish is a very dark grey when it's not in the direct light, and underneath the top coating you can barely see the machined finish. Looks very cool. But when it's in the bright light, the coating almost looks like a smoked clearcoat over the machined stainless steel, which looks even cooler.
* The knob is stainless steel, so it's got some decent weight to it
* The feel of the knob on my new T1R is fantastic. I just installed my SS, it's very notchy, very stiff, and you can really feel the engagement. With the new knob, the shifter moves a lot easier, and the engagement isn't as noticeable. I'm sure the weight of the knob is helping here.

That's all I got for now, I will take installed pictures when I have some light, and post a further review.

In the meantime - TWM was awesome to deal with, Frank is a great guy and I highly recommend them if you are looking for a high quality product. If you do buy a knob, please tell him that Tobey from FitFreak sent you. From what I understand they are looking to develop a SS and possibly other Fit products, so if you buy and mention me it shows that there is a market for this stuff!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 PM
New pictures:

Can't say enough how much I like this knob - well worth the money!

Just a few notes - I am still trying to find a sweet spot with the height of the knob, and where I like it. Having adjustability is great, and it's way better than shoving washers in there to space it out. In the pictures above the knob is adjusted up about halfway, I will probably bring it down some.

The short shifter is a T1R lever that I got from AJ Racing.

The boot was supplied by www.shiftstyle.com. If you have any questions about the boot please see the other thread I started about the boot and ShiftStyle.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats, you now have the sexiest looking shift/boot combo. That is daaayum good looking. + rep that .

Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Scaldy
Congrats, you now have the sexiest looking shift/boot combo. That is daaayum good looking. + rep that .
Thanks! I'm really happy with the way things came out, and I can't say enought about TWM - they were great to work with.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
I wish I had a stick so I can put that on my fit. Do they have any applications for Autos?