2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Blown Fuse? Where the Heck Is It??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Blown Fuse? Where the Heck Is It??

Apparently I'm not the only person to encounter this, but I seem to have blown a fuse somewhere and cannot locate it.

Basic story: was replacing some interior lights, and in the process I believe I created a short (or I have a defective bulb?). Anyway, the interior lights are now not working, as well as the radio/nav and the door locks don't work.

FYI: this guy had the exact same problem, but with a 2008 Fit:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ical-help.html

Problem is that the 2009> do not have a fuse under hood labeled "BACKUP". The only three fused under my hood are for "Battery", "EPS" (whatever that is) and "Horn/Hazard", and all three appear to be intact. And I couldn't find a burned out fuse in the interior fuse panel. I also tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, but to no avail.

This is nuts! Anyone have an idea? Hopefully someone can save me from a trip to the dealer. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by AWDturbo
Apparently I'm not the only person to encounter this, but I seem to have blown a fuse somewhere and cannot locate it.

Basic story: was replacing some interior lights, and in the process I believe I created a short (or I have a defective bulb?). Anyway, the interior lights are now not working, as well as the radio/nav and the door locks don't work.

FYI: this guy had the exact same problem, but with a 2008 Fit:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ical-help.html

Problem is that the 2009> do not have a fuse under hood labeled "BACKUP". The only three fused under my hood are for "Battery", "EPS" (whatever that is) and "Horn/Hazard", and all three appear to be intact. And I couldn't find a burned out fuse in the interior fuse panel. I also tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, but to no avail.

This is nuts! Anyone have an idea? Hopefully someone can save me from a trip to the dealer. Thanks!
The (online version of the) Fit 09 manual lists Fuse #1 interior as 10 amp Back up.

The service manual lists fuse #1 controlling MICU, cargo area light, front map light, ceiling light, gauge module, navigation unit, audio unit, immobilizer unit, dlc. Looks like fuse #1

Last edited by pharmpk; 02-05-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by pharmpk
The (online version of the) Fit 09 manual lists Fuse #1 interior as 10 amp Back up.

The service manual lists fuse #1 controlling MICU, cargo area light, front map light, ceiling light, gauge module, navigation unit, audio unit, immobilizer unit, dlc. Looks like fuse #1
THANK YOU!! That's it!

Somehow I didn't see the #1 fuse called "BACKUP" in the manual fuse map/listing for the interior fuse panel. I pulled the 10A fuse for the rear wiper, plugged it in, and everything appears to be working now.

It's kinda odd, actually. The large spot labeled "1" in the fuse panel map is actually comprised of two slots, with only the lower one actually being an active slot. However there's a weird orange plastic thing attached to the fuse, and when you pull it, there's actually two fuses there - the 10A in the active slot, and a 7.5A in the inactive slot. To make matters more strange, both of these fuses were blown. Very strange.

Anyway, things look good now. I'll just have to stop at Autozone tomorrow and get some spare fuses - I don't have any of these newer mini style fuses on hand.

Thanks again!!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by AWDturbo
THANK YOU!! That's it!
It's kinda odd, actually. The large spot labeled "1" in the fuse panel map is actually comprised of two slots, with only the lower one actually being an active slot. However there's a weird orange plastic thing attached to the fuse, and when you pull it, there's actually two fuses there - the 10A in the active slot, and a 7.5A in the inactive slot. To make matters more strange, both of these fuses were blown. Very strange.
Yeah, the diagram in the service manual shows just one regular sized fuse in the position 1, listed as 7.5A. The image in the owner's manual looks like a double size.

Last edited by pharmpk; 02-05-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member
OK I have screwed up same way. I have pulled the orange thing out. It looks like a fuse attached/built in and there is the other 10 amp fuse still in fuse box. So my questions are -

1- where the heck is the fuse puller?
2- the 10 amp still in the fuse box is the problem? and the one in the orange thingy is OK?
3- do regular fuses then work as replacements?

Old 09-06-2009, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member
confused, maybe a picture will help? on the older fits, the fuse puller is on the fusebox under the dash (not the one in the engine bay) it's pretty noticeable, it's white and it's notably larger than the fuses

Old 09-06-2009, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
I have 09 Fit so it is different

Here are a couple of pics

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 9829
Size:  47.8 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 5934
Size:  35.6 KB

Old 09-06-2009, 05:46 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
OMG! Black3sr! I don't even know what that is. Do I need to know anything about any of that? Is the "orange thing" being discussed shown in the upper image in the upper left corner that has two fuses behind it?

Fuse puller? Uh, a thing that pulls out fuses? And would that be the thing in the upper picture on the right side below the blue boxy thing and above where all the blue square holes are?

What is the bottom picture of?

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 09-06-2009 at 05:46 AM. Reason: someday I'll remember which is left
Old 09-06-2009, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
Yes that is the orange thingy.

Maybe that is the fuse puller. Sheet I don`t know.

The 2nd pic is the lower part of fuse panel. See the green square with two wiresÉ THey are pink and blue. That is where the trouble started. This is the circuit for the dome light. I unplugged it. I poked a test light that I had grounded on the steering support in each off the holes and nothing happened then when I stuck it in the fuse box where it plugs in it went poof.

So it seems I screwed the fuse(s) under the orange thingy. I will pull it later today when sun is up. I will have to wait til Tues to get my radio code I guess.

I hope to solve this myself as otherwise dealer may ask what the hell I was doing in there.

Last edited by Black3sr; 09-06-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
just use a test light to see if its dead or not. im still wondering myself where the fuse puller is cause when i pull some out i use pliers >_>

Old 09-06-2009, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Well it was my test light that caused the problem. I somehow shorted something playing with it.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
I found the fuse puller. Follow the arrow. Just squeeze and pull. Then squeeze and fit over fuse. Release and pull out. OK I pulled the 10amp fuse under the Orange thingy and yup it is blown. Off to pick up some. Sheet I was at discount place the other day and did not pick up a bunch for a couple bucks. Damn.

Keep your fingers crossed this will solve the problem.
Name:  Drawing1.jpg
Views: 6248
Size:  35.5 KB

Old 09-06-2009, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Me again. Well those Mini fuses are rare. Local auto parts does not carry them. I have to wait til Tues to get some from dealer.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Yes that is the orange thingy.

Maybe that is the fuse puller. Sheet I don`t know.

I will have to wait til Tues to get my radio code I guess.
Yay. I got two right! I like this kind of thing, learning about the car. Pictures and arrows and diagrams. I like what Niko does with changing things too, with step-by-step instructions.

It certainly would be useful and helpful for Fit owners to have more things like this post. Things that may commonly need replacing, how to go about it, how to do it safely. What tools are needed, if any.

I didn't even know there was such a thing AS a fuse puller, let alone that it would be provided on the fuse panel grouping. And it's MUCH better to have an actual full-color image, with the added arrow, where people can ask questions, than it is to have just a manual.

Anyway, I had a suggestion. You can get your Radio/Nav code online.

Audio and Navigation System Theft Protection
For theft protection purposes, your audio system will be disabled if it is disconnected from electrical power for any reason. To make it work again, you must enter a specific code with the preset buttons. Because there are thousands of possible number combinations from five digits, making the system work without knowing the code is nearly impossible.
Retrieve Your Code
You can retrieve your code using this website by providing identity verification and vehicle information in a few simple steps.
Hours of Operation
This automated process is available Monday to Friday 4:00 AM to 9:00 PM PST (Pacific Standard Time) , 4:00 AM to 6:30 PM on Saturdays , and 4:00 AM to 9:00 PM PST on Sundays.

What You Will Need
Vehicle VIN Number
Phone Number and Zip Code matching those on file
Device Serial Number: Radio and / or Navigation

https://radio-navicode.honda.com/

------

There's a lot of good info on this page:
Owner Resources - the Official Honda Web Site

including a link to Honda Owner link, where you can manually enter your code when you get it, and it's always right there where you can access it without the fuss. I put mine in there.

Oops, that's all US. Let me get links for Canada...

Starting page for "My Honda" in Canada:
Honda Canada

And their FAQ on the radio code:
http://www.honda.ca/HondaCA2006/Your...ction2.htm?L=E

Here's how to get the serial number of the radio:
Retrieve Serial Number from Device Display
2003 - 2007 Accord with Navigation System
All Other Models
  1. Turn the ignition switch to ON.
  2. Turn ON the device and confirm that the display reads COdE. If you don’t see this message, pull the backup fuse for 1 minute, and then go back to step 1.
  3. Turn OFF the device.
  4. Press and hold the 1 and 6 radio preset buttons, and turn ON the device.
  5. The display toggles between two screens: U with the first 4 digits of the serial number (U2200 for example,)
  6. And L with the last 4 digits of the serial number (L0055 for example.)
  7. Ignore the U and L and record all 8 digits

I'd try out the Canadian MyHonda site, and if you can't get your code there, try the US site to see if it will let you input your data. Probably won't.

Font mania!! What is the default font and size for this site?

Wait, there's more on the serial number, it might be on/in the glovebox too:

Serial Number Retrieval Help
There are several places to find your audio unit's serial number:
The Unlock Code and the device unit's serial number are listed on the anti-theft ID card that comes with the vehicle. The card is usually placed in the glove box at the time of delivery. Use the Unlock Code listed on this card.
For certain models, the dealer may have placed a label with the device serial number on the glove box.
For year 2001 and later models, you may obtain the serial number from the device display. This procedure is detailed in the device’s manual.
For models earlier than 2001, the serial number is located on the back of the device. This will require a trip to the dealer to obtain the number.

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 09-06-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added in more Honda info, serial number locator
Old 09-07-2009, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
All this reminded me that my salesman gave me a card with something on it. I kept it in a safe place and was able to find it. Yippee it is the radio code so once I get a new fuse I should be good to go.

What a pain in the butt locking all the doors manually. I hope that keeps it safe as the hatch does not lock.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
All this reminded me that my salesman gave me a card with something on it. I kept it in a safe place and was able to find it. Yippee it is the radio code so once I get a new fuse I should be good to go.

What a pain in the butt locking all the doors manually. I hope that keeps it safe as the hatch does not lock.
You CAN lock the Sport hatch manually. I knew there had to be a way, and then I got lost while reading the owner's manual.

Page 89.

On Sport model and Canadian LX model

If the power door lock system cannot unlock the tailgate, unlock it manually.

Place a cloth on the edge of the cover, then use a small flat-tipped screwdriver to remove the cover on the back of the tailgate.

Push the release lever to the right as shown.

If you need to unlock the tailgate manually, it means there is a problem with the tailgate. ...duh...

Anyway, this "cover" is on the inside of the cargo area, just above the exhaust vent area, located in the center of the plastic, which would be facing the backs of the rear seats. A small, squarish cover.

The picture shown has the screwdriver being wedged into the very top of the cover, horizontally, and then the cover gently pried by lifting the handle of the screwdriver to create leverage.

Lock is to the left, as you're facing the opened release lever, and unlock is to the right.

It might not be all that convenient to lock and unlock that way, but it's only to keep your car secure until you can get into the dealer for your fuses.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
I really should read the manual. Thank you. I guess if I lock it then until I get fuse I will have to crawl in with back seats down to release it.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
I am fused! Everything is working. Just have to re-set radio stations.

My dealer only had two fuses and would only sell me one. $2.25 Cdn.

That orange thingy - well don't mess that up. It is some sort of bridge. It only costs $83 Cdn. My plan was if fuse replacement didn't work was to take it in and play dumb.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
I am fused! Everything is working. Just have to re-set radio stations.

My dealer only had two fuses and would only sell me one. $2.25 Cdn.

That orange thingy - well don't mess that up. It is some sort of bridge. It only costs $83 Cdn. My plan was if fuse replacement didn't work was to take it in and play dumb.
Yay!

Fuse rationing. The fuses are rare or what? Are the same sizes used on the GD models?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
No idea. I know I will be asking every time I am in if I can buy more. Maybe an Ebay thing to buy some.

I have no idea what GD use.

Quick Reply: Blown Fuse? Where the Heck Is It??