2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Metallic tapping noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
Metallic tapping noise from engine

Hello. I have an 09 automatic and am troubled by a tapping noise that appears to be coming from the engine. This noise is heard mostly during light acceleration. If you've encountered this issue, I'd love to hear your thoughts and the action you or the dealer took to remedy it. Thank you.

The car currently has 300 miles and I took delivery with 7 miles on it -- engine break in as per owner's manual.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
maybe it's the gasoline, try a different brand?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you, whyzor. I'll fill up at a station we've used reliably for our Accord.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
yep, if it happens during acceleration then it sounds like it's detonation/knock.

Prob crap gas...

Old 02-13-2009, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
I had something that possibly sounds like what you have, only on my 08 Accord MT. It was a relatively faint tapping from the engine, only noticeable with the window down, by a tall wall and when you start off from idle to only about 2,000 rpm. After that it's not audible.

I had Honda check this out, but there was no conclusion.

If yours has it and others' don't, then to me that means not normal.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 PM
I think I may have the same sound, but I'm still not sure. I just noticed it after reading this thread and I kind of heard a very faint metallic tapping when I was driving out of the driveway going 10+mph to work last night. Maybe I didn't warm up the engine enough (temp outside was below 50F), but I usually always wait until the temp light goes away.

BTW, I fill up @ Mobil and use 89 octane gas.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Mine has a ticking at idle, although it just sounds like valves or injectors.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Mine does that too, but we are talking about a completely different thing. Its so faint you can barely hear it on mine. Its probably nothing...

I have 5AT w/ PS.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:08 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Have the same sound on my 07. I hear it when idling and I'm outside. Seems normal.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I poked around in the engine bay this afternoon and didn't find any loose items that could cause the tapping. I also found a post by member 'barams' back in October that describes exactly what I'm hearing. It was not clear whether his case was resolved.

My hope is the next fill-up will cure things and that my Fit can live with 87 octane.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Weird I don't hear it anymore, except the idle tick. Maybe its all in my head or the rain had something to do with it.

Last edited by OEMfit; 02-13-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by OEMfit
Weird I don't hear it anymore, except the idle tick. Maybe its all in my head or the rain had something to do with it.

Sound carries better in heavy weather, tho' knock is ususally worse in very dry weather. Try a tank of midgrade (89) and see if that takes care of the problem. You shouldn't HAVE to run on plus, but if the issue is a knock, that might prove it. (BTW, no disrespect to anyone, but I am deeply suspicious of any diagnosis of 'bad gas'. Too low an octane or a knock sensor asleep at the switch is another matter.)If a sensor is awry, it SHOULD throw a code.
It does seem to me that we live with engine noises (and noise in general) in the Fit; it's quieter than my Wrangler, but it ain't a limo.
Moon

Old 02-14-2009, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Since the Fit is not designed for high octane gas, 87 octane is good enough. Higher octane gives better power and fuel efficiency, but only if the engine was designed for it, otherwise it's a waste of money.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by whyzor
Since the Fit is not designed for high octane gas, 87 octane is good enough. Higher octane gives better power and fuel efficiency, but only if the engine was designed for it, otherwise it's a waste of money.
Absolutely and unequivocally true. My advice or trying 'plus' was an attempt at diagnosing the problem. If the sound the OP is hearing is knocking, and 89 octane makes it go away, the question is now 'why the knock' on 87? Timing off? Carboned cylinder head? Engine running hot/hot spot in cylinder head? Knock sensor not functioning? Bad ju-ju?
Moon

Old 02-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Bingo. You most likely have the "Honda tap." I hail from 8thcivic and have a R18 civic with the same noises. Mainly at idle or light accel you will be hearing the injectors and/or valvetrain putting out a little bit of "chatter." Totally normal.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I hear the same thing I think. When I lightly press on my accelerator I hear like a faint metallic tapping or kind of a grinding sound like some metal and metal tapping or grinding each other. But it went away after some drive... I always use shell gas and nothing but shell gas. Imo, I think its normal, I don't think it has anything to do wit gas and knocking or pinging noise.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by sdn09fit
Hello. I have an 09 automatic and am troubled by a tapping noise that appears to be coming from the engine. This noise is heard mostly during light acceleration. If you've encountered this issue, I'd love to hear your thoughts and the action you or the dealer took to remedy it. Thank you.

The car currently has 300 miles and I took delivery with 7 miles on it -- engine break in as per owner's manual.

Ive herd a lot of people say its the valves making the ting noise ur hearing. the valves arent self adjusting that i know of. so they have to be manualy re-adjusted. My 07 Fit Sport does the same thing

Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks again for everyone's comments.

I filled up with 87 octane at a different station and there is less tapping or knocking under light acceleration (and the car feels peppier, which is a real treat). On the other hand, I'm hearing consistent valve chatter around 1700 RPM. No acceleration is needed -- chatter appears when I'm cruising at this engine RPM. I sure hope the chatter does not become louder with miles or apparent at other RPMs.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:25 AM
If a Fit is rated to use 87, then it shouldn't have the high compression to cause knocking. Using a higher octane fuel would be pointless. I would go with valve clatter or a loose heat shield.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by luv4jdm
I hear the same thing I think. When I lightly press on my accelerator I hear like a faint metallic tapping or kind of a grinding sound like some metal and metal tapping or grinding each other. But it went away after some drive... I always use shell gas and nothing but shell gas. Imo, I think its normal, I don't think it has anything to do wit gas and knocking or pinging noise.
I have the exact same thing now too...only it didn't do this for the first 10k miles, only recently started this after my 2nd oil change. I'm on my second tank of gas after the oil change as well, and it's still there. Hope it's normal..

Quick Reply: Metallic tapping noise from engine