2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Turning on indicators with parking lights?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Turning on indicators with parking lights?

I was curious. So I disabled my DRL's and I like having just my parking lights on. I was thinking it would be awesome if I could also have my indicators on with the parking lights, but maybe not as bright as when actually being used.

Is it at all possible to make this happen?

Old 02-15-2009, 07:32 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
so what your saying is you want to put your
parking lights on a dimmer? is this what your
asking?

Old 02-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Nah

So the parking lights are the little upper humps.

Those are fine.

I want it set so that when I turn my parking lights on (The setting right before your actual headlamps are on), that the indicators (blinkers) are on (steady, not flashing) but darker then the actually blinker itself. A lot of american cars are this way, or police cars, whose parking lights are dimmer then the blinkers.

So if this worked, then when i turned on my parking lights, not only would just those two parking lights be on, but 4 lights total.

does that make more sense?

Old 02-15-2009, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
You want your turn signals (indicators, whatever) on whenever your parking lights are on? If you did that, then what would you use as a turn signal? This doesn't make any logical sense to me =\

Old 02-15-2009, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
I had thought about doing this myself since the small humps aren't very bright. Ideally the front lights would also function as turn signals as well.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah you can do what you want, just need to be able to read wiring diagrams and wire up circuits with relays.

DLR's work with a duty cycle, (pulsed 12v rather than 12v on all the time)

Use that circuit to operate your turn signals dimmer.
Then use a relay to interupt that when you turn your blinker on.

The other way is to switch over to dual filament bulbs(and sockets of course)

Old 02-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
Yeah you can do what you want, just need to be able to read wiring diagrams and wire up circuits with relays.

DLR's work with a duty cycle, (pulsed 12v rather than 12v on all the time)

Use that circuit to operate your turn signals dimmer.
Then use a relay to interupt that when you turn your blinker on.

The other way is to switch over to dual filament bulbs(and sockets of course)
All greek to me.

For the guy who didn't get me above ^^^

Basically, those lights would be on, but DIMMER then the actual blinker itself. So when you turn signal, it gets brighter. The parking lights wouldn't be that bright. See what im saying?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
I get what you're saying, I just don't understand why. I don't see any sort of advantage to it at all.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by cojaro
I get what you're saying, I just don't understand why. I don't see any sort of advantage to it at all.

Most body mod's don't have advantage. It's more for my personal preference / looks.

Plus, if its rainy I like having my parking lights on, cause they look savage, and the current ones are KINDA weak. yanno?

It's just for looks.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SCBarren
Most body mod's don't have advantage. It's more for my personal preference / looks.

Plus, if its rainy I like having my parking lights on, cause they look savage, and the current ones are KINDA weak. yanno?

It's just for looks.
You could always get some high-flux LEDs to replace the stock filament parking lights up front. =]

Old 02-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by cojaro
You could always get some high-flux LEDs to replace the stock filament parking lights up front. =]

True, but I also like the general look of having those four lights on.

It looks good if you have a chance to snap a photo with your cautions on. I think it looks epic at least.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
You could connect the 2 circuits together using diodes to isolate the sources from interfering with each other.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:05 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
i see what your asking now.
well just like Tork said.
you could go the dual fillament bulbs.
this looks to me to be the easyest route.
the only problem is that the light will always
stay on and the other will flash for you turn signal.
you can buy socket holder in your local autoparts
stores or the internet. I tried finding some but all
i could find is the older style.
Head Light Parts

Greg Bender - Turn signals as running lights - A technique using one single-element bulb in each turn signal

Custom LED Dual Contact Bayonet Sockets

Old 05-13-2009, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to attempt a procedure that will accomplish this. I bought a set of amber 7443 bulbs (and sockets), stock is 7440. The only difference between the two is the 7443 has and extra filament rated at 5w, which matches the output of the upper parking light. When i'm done, the blinker section of the headlights will come on with the 5w filament. The other filament is 21w, which matches the output of the stock blinker. When the blinker is used, the 21w filament will blink, overpowering the 5w parking filament.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by umop-apisdn
I'm going to attempt a procedure that will accomplish this. I bought a set of amber 7443 bulbs (and sockets), stock is 7440. The only difference between the two is the 7443 has and extra filament rated at 5w, which matches the output of the upper parking light. When i'm done, the blinker section of the headlights will come on with the 5w filament. The other filament is 21w, which matches the output of the stock blinker. When the blinker is used, the 21w filament will blink, overpowering the 5w parking filament.
I have done that to 3 BMW motorcycles, make the turn signals 5 watt running lights and you still have the 21W blinker. It works good, very effective.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
I think it sounds like a cool idea, thanks for sharing! Don't forget to post up some pics yall'! This is usually the tipping point for me...one I see it in action, I gotta have it!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
let me play around with it... i'll turn your parking and turn signal as one, and turn your fog lights into blinkers.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by umop-apisdn

oh boy! well i look forward to seeing this, so please keep us updated with pictures. also, if you have time for a dyi that would be awesome!

-john

Old 05-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey SCBarren, it's illegal in California to have just your parking lights on.
Just FYI.
I personally don't get it, but it's not my car.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:54 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by mole177
let me play around with it... i'll turn your parking and turn signal as one, and turn your fog lights into blinkers.
ROFL good one man, + rep ;]

i kno what hes talking about, ive seen it stock, mostly on american cars i think, and persosally i think its olds-mobile style, but thats just me, maybe thats y i have 8500K LEDs to replace my soft amber parking lights

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turning on indicators with parking lights?