2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed interior illumination kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Just installed interior illumination kit

I just finished installing the interior illumination kit (got it from Bernardi). To give you an idea of difficulty, I'm pretty much a complete n00b when it comes to cars, but I'm comfortable with power tools. The kit took about 2 hours to install, and I spent most of that time looking for drill bits in the right size (didn't have metric, so ended up going with one a little larger, which worked fine.)

The directions are pretty straightforward. On a USDM GE, you have to follow the directions "without fog lights" even if you have them (wired differently than the directions, for some reason). The illustrations aren't super descriptive, but with the text I was able to figure it out.

I'm due for a photo-shoot at some point here; I'll try to get some at night. If anyone has questions about installing the kit, let me know! I really think anyone who can handle a drill would find this pretty easy.

Edit on 2/20/2009:
Finally got photos taken!

Here's the switch. The lights turn on when this switch is activated and the headlights are turned on (car doesn't have to be running).

Here's what it looks like installed on the driver's side.

And passenger side.

Last edited by blythe; 02-20-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Well, so do you like it? I mentioned it to my wife and she asked me if I was turning into a ricer.

Maybe I made it sound tacky, but it's made by Honda and looks pretty classy to me.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Waiting for it to get dark so I can try it out, then I'll definitely post my opinion. From what I've read, it's pretty dim, so shouldn't be too ricey. And it has the handy on/off switch, so you could always turn it off when your wife's in the car if she doesn't like it.

The exterior appearance of the lights is really nice during the day, though. They're just little bumps on the underside of the dash with a nice grommet around the edge. Totally fits with the car.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Retired Moderator
Can`t wait to see the pic`s!!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
yesssss pics please haaa

Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 PM
I originally bought this kit because I just wanted a switch to fill up the blanks beside the steering wheel! Haha, but I actually ended up liking it a lot, and I thought at first it would be super ricey.

Two things I didn't like - a) I thought they were too bright (as opposed to most who think they are too dim) and b) I thought the shade of blue was just a bit off compared to the gauge backlighting.

To fix both of these problems I bought some deep blue tinted film from a guy on eBay and cut little lenses and put them inside the LED covers. You can just keep cutting lenses and adding them to adjust the brightness and shade of blue.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blythe
I just finished installing the interior illumination kit (got it from Bernardi). To give you an idea of difficulty, I'm pretty much a complete n00b when it comes to cars, but I'm comfortable with power tools. The kit took about 2 hours to install, and I spent most of that time looking for drill bits in the right size (didn't have metric, so ended up going with one a little larger, which worked fine.)

The directions are pretty straightforward. On a USDM GE, you have to follow the directions "without fog lights" even if you have them (wired differently than the directions, for some reason). The illustrations aren't super descriptive, but with the text I was able to figure it out.

I'm due for a photo-shoot at some point here; I'll try to get some at night. If anyone has questions about installing the kit, let me know! I really think anyone who can handle a drill would find this pretty easy.

I was going to say that the internet must be broken; I didn't see any pictures.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:36 AM
OK, reactions after seeing it at night:

tobey457 was right, the blue does seem a little washed out compared to the dash (I also have blue LEDs installed in the dome light, which are MUCH bluer). I may take his tactic and put some blue film over the lights.

Brightness was about perfect for me. Any darker and you wouldn't be able to see it's there. Any lighter and it would bother you while you drive.

The footwell lights only turn on when your headlights are on (and you have the switch on, of course). I'd like to figure out how to wire them to turn on when the door opens, as well. Anyone know of a thread that describes the wiring in a GE or have any idea how to do this? Again, I'm at a very n00bish level.

I'll try to take pics tonight, depending on how late I have to work. Sorry for the delay, but I want to do a quality setup (tripod and DSLR) instead of crappy flash P&S photos.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
nice job though.. i once saw instructions for the kit, and was completely turned off, as it looked so difficult.

but, i would still like to do it one day when my patience level is more tolerable.. i'm hoping it's not too bright though, since i already have to turn down the dash lights a couple clicks as the max setting is waaay too bright.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
OK, reactions after seeing it at night:

tobey457 was right, the blue does seem a little washed out compared to the dash (I also have blue LEDs installed in the dome light, which are MUCH bluer). I may take his tactic and put some blue film over the lights.

Brightness was about perfect for me. Any darker and you wouldn't be able to see it's there. Any lighter and it would bother you while you drive.
Definitely give the film a try - I bought mine on eBay but I'm sure you could find it at a craft store or WalMart or something. The best part is that it's a two minute job to take the lower dash covers off, unplug the LEDs, and pop the covers off of the housings. I just kept cutting lenses out of the plastic and layering them in there until I got the right brightness and shade of blue. Mine are now just slightly darker than they were when stock.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Retired Moderator
Pic`s...????.....

Old 02-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Sorry, I was exhausted last night (didn't get home until 7:30pm). Maybe tonight...

Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 AM
please post some pics. im still debating whether i want to buy there or not.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Updated first post with photos.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Thumbs up

Blythe,

Those look good. I know it's hard to show something dark properly in a photo.

Would you say that it makes your car look a little more upscale?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by jrlnc
Blythe,

Those look good. I know it's hard to show something dark properly in a photo.

Would you say that it makes your car look a little more upscale?
Upscale? Not really. But it's fun, and a neat little gimmick. I'm sorta going for a techy-geeky feel for my interior (LED lights, upgraded head unit, etc) moreso than any sort of luxury feel.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Retired Moderator
WOW!!. the light section on the USDM light kit is HUGE compared to the JDM foot light kit...!... how big was the hole you had to drill for the light..??

Old 02-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
WOW!!. the light section on the USDM light kit is HUGE compared to the JDM foot light kit...!... how big was the hole you had to drill for the light..??
The directions called for a 20mm hole, which I didn't have. I ended up trying the 7/8in drill bit, and it worked fine, despite being a little big. It just means that the LEDs can spin around, which they can't with the proper size. No biggie, they're not going to fall out of the hole because the grommets are significantly bigger.

Do you have pics of the JDM kit?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Retired Moderator
Do you have pics of the JDM kit?
I have yet to out mine in... but I do have pic's... I posted them a while back in my goodies thread... but I see if I can dig them up..

Old 02-21-2009, 05:35 AM
looks good. it some seem like kind of a cool feature.

Quick Reply: Just installed interior illumination kit