2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 09 Fit Owner + Small Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:58 PM
dgs
New 09 Fit Owner + Small Review

Hey all, got my 09 Fit three weeks ago. I was adamant about having a 5-speed manual transmission and the navigation system option and there were none in Texas. The dealership had to go 600 miles out to find the closest Fit with those specs. It was a white one. White was not my first color choice as I would have preferred the storm silver or the blackberry, but I couldn't be too picky about the color. Since manual transmissions are a dying breed in this country it's extremely difficult to find cars with them. For a small four cylinder engine though a manual is the only kind of transmission I'll drive.

I also own a 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 with the navigation option and that is a great car. I got the Fit as a second car to cart my new dog around in. He's a pit bull and he's real hyper and the hatchback of the Fit is perfect for that. I put my pet tent back there and he's completely restrained and I don't have to worry about him. When I brought him home I only had the Sonata and he was a handful in a sedan, constantly jumping from the front seat to the rear seat and then jumping on me! Not safe while I'm trying to drive.

Anyway, the Fit was "supposed" to be a second car and the Hyundai my main car, but it hasn't turned out that way. I've driven the Hyundai twice in the three weeks I've owned my Fit lol. The Fit is just an amazing little car. What I'm most surprised about is how quiet the ride is and how composed the suspension is. The car is just as quiet on the road as my Sonata and that's more of a luxury car. The suspension is also better than the Sonata. There is a very bumpy/hilly road I have to take when going to work. In the Sonata it's like being a rollarcoaster but the Fit handles that same stretch of road so much better. I just really enjoy driving the car, and it's so much fun to drive a manual transmission again. It's been a long time since I've owned a manual and I forgot how much fun it could be. The one in the Fit is real easy too, it shifts so smoothly.

I love the interior, everything is ergonomic, the seats are real comfortable for me, and I think the sound system is decent for the price. The navigation system however is excellent, every bit as good as the one in my much more expensive Hyundai. I love the airy feeling in the car too, and the storage is insane in such a small car. As a matter of fact, I can't think of one negative thing to say about the car. I wish it came with a couple of features, such as moonroof, autodim rearview mirror, and an outside temperature gauge, but there is nothing I can critize about the car. It's just a fantastic car and I really like all of the changes Honda did for the 09 model.

Anyway, good to be a member here.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
congrats and welcome to FF.
enjoy your new ride.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Nice review, I agree auto-dimming mirror and outside temp would be nice. I too have a large dog to haul around, 120 Bullmastiff. She fit in the Mini but is much happier now in the back of the Fit. Lol, I have had my two dogs in the Mini, our male bullmastiff was 140 lbs. He would take up the back and our female was moved to the front, which I didn't like because of the air bag.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:02 PM
What did you do with your V6 6 speed Accord? I know your name from Driveaccord.net

Old 12-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Congrats. Hopefully your doubts were proved wrong the first week you owned the Fit. I know I had mine.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by honda761
What did you do with your V6 6 speed Accord? I know your name from Driveaccord.net
I don't own an Accord and never owned an Accord. Maybe another dgs? I have seen other dgs user names on other messageboards. Sometimes I have to make up a user name because dgs is taken.

[EDIT] Damn, this is old! Why would anyone dredge up an 11 month old post? You're not stalking me right?

Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dgs
I wish it came with a couple of features, such as moonroof, autodim rearview mirror, and an outside temperature gauge,
I agree with you on the outside air temperature gauge. Last night we were driving home from Quincy. It was well above freezing when we left. An hour later, the VSA light came on when we drove over some black ice. It was raining lightly, but we couldn't tell the temp had fallen.

With VSA, the Fit takes it all in stride, but I'm definitely going to have to get a temp gauge. They're all so big and ugly, though, and take batteries. Guess that's a different thread.

Cheers.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
I don't own an Accord and never owned an Accord. Maybe another dgs? I have seen other dgs user names on other messageboards. Sometimes I have to make up a user name because dgs is taken.

[EDIT] Damn, this is old! Why would anyone dredge up an 11 month old post? You're not stalking me right?
One of your threads is currently at the top of the forum list, so thats how I recall dgs.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 AM
i picked up my 09 fit couple weeks ago..and im soooo IN LOVE!!! I thought id never find a perfect car until this..i recently got rid of my 05 civic, 96 ek and 97 delsol...and no regrets only problem my 2 sons are still in car seats and their shoes touch the back of the drivers and passenger seats... its ok tho i just take off their shoes when their in the car lol..problem solved...

Old 12-15-2009, 02:15 PM
can get a towel, poke 2 holes and put it through the headrest posts to cover the front seatback