2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio removal '09 Fit Base

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Radio removal '09 Fit Base

Hi,

I've gone through the first couple steps of removing my radio head unit on my 2009 Honda Fit Base model. I've gotten to the point of releasing the tabs that hold the unit in and am hesitating. The instructions I have are from Berbardioarts.com <http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2009_Fit(Base)_USBAdapter_AII39879.pdf> or this TinyURL version <http://tinyurl.com/d387vu>.

I'm confused about the number of screws I need in order to begin removing the 13 tabs that hold the head unit in place. It sort of seems like there are two, but the reinstallation portion of the directions only mention one. I've broken too many plastic parts in other projects to want to proceed further.

If you've taken the head unit off can you tell me if I should be looking to remove two screws, or just the one that is accessed behind the fresh air/recirculated air switch?

Thanks,

- Len

Last edited by Beaulen; 02-22-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:34 PM
I think found the answer in a post about installing a Sirius Radio:

One of the steps in removing the stereo involves removing a screw from underneath the stereo. I read a few threads describing this task as a real pain in the rear. I was able to get the screw out (and back in) with little effort using a 10 inch socket extension with a 5/16 socket attached. (The connector between the extension and the socket is just a 3/8 to 1/4 socket adaptor.) See image 1 below.

Image 1

NOTE: You should be able to use this without the ratchet attached. In fact, I think if you do attach the ratchet, you won't be able to fit it between the opening in the panel and the cup holder below.

The PDF document describes use of 2 different Honda trim tools. If you're like me, you won't have access to these. In that case, I recommend that you:

1. Place the masking tape where it's indicated in the PDF document

2. When you start to pull the stereo at the notch found in the upper glove box, use the largest screwdriver that will fit.

3. Once you start to get the stereo moving, use a mini pry bar to complete the job. This pry bar works great for removing trim in all other areas of the job as well. You should be able to get one of these at any hardware. See image 2 below.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 PM
hi did you not have to disconnect the heater cables on this model ?