2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
Quick question about oil changes

I'm thinking of purchasing a "quick oil drain valve"* and doing my own oil changes. My first question is, when I change the oil myself do I need to reset the Honda's computer somehow to tell the oil life to reset etc. Does it do it automatically or do I need a shop to reset it?

Second question is, how is the front clearance for an 09 Sport on ramps? I'm thinking this is the easiest way to raise the car to drain it.
Thanks

*PIC and link

QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil

Old 03-09-2009, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, there is a section in the manual on "Resetting Maintenance Minder"

No, unless you buy the super expensive low profile ones, I do not think ramps will work with the Fit's low front ground clearance.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 PM
I've got 2 of them, ordered from the website with 10% off coupon, haven't installed it yet, I plan to do it later after I put more miles on here, since I'm running an ECS magnetic one in the R32 now.

The valve is pretty sturdy, and you cannot mistakenly open it, which was one of my major concerns.

I plan to install it in my FIT and the R32 later, after more miles, since I want to make sure I pull all, or most of the shavings out of the motor.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:13 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Hi Janine,

Your link is for the Fumoto drain valve, and it is the least expensive, most effective maintenance part you can buy. I have used these drain valves for about 30 years on 7 different vehicles.

Now, in order to use ramps, you will need to make another ramp just to get your car onto the plastic or metal ramps that you are talking about. What I mean is, your car is too low in front to even get onto any ramp without some help. You will need two pieces of 2X10 lumber, about 16" long each. There are very strong, inexpensive plastic ramps being sold on Amazon.com, and I use that type for my Fit. The ramps have a hole molded in very close to the low front end of the wedge. You will need to screw a lag bolt, 1/4" to 3/8" dia. bolt, so that about 1 1/2" of bolt protrudes through the bottom of your wooden pieces, about 1 1/2" from the end of the wood, right in the center. So for a 1 1'2" thick piece of lumber, you need lag bolts about 2 1/2" -3" long. Screw them all the way down so that the lag screw heads are all the way down and flush with the surface of the planks. Once the bolts are in place, just drop the sharp end of the bolt right into the hole molded into the front edge of the plastic ramp. The bolt in the hole will keep the wood from being dragged away from the plastic ramps by your front wheels as you drive up the wood onto the ramps. without the wooden "pre-ramps", your front lip of the car will hit the ramps before your wheels even touch the ramps.

Now you are set, and even low ramps will give you enough room to get under the oil pan and the filter. Don't forget to buy the appropriate size of oil filter wrench, or to buy a strap wrench to remove the oil filter.

The money that you save by doing your own first oil change will pay for the drain valve and the oil filter wrench. The money you save on the next oil change will pay for your oil- net result, it's all free compared to paying a dealership to do it.
I don't know what kind of ramps you have? But my ramps worked fine without any clearance issue.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
That's great to hear. What brand are your ramps?
Usleisure, got them from WalMart years ago. I use them on my wifes Accord and my Crv and now on our Fit. No boards needed.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
I have the fumoto valve, and honestly at least with the '07 Fit, I don't need to jack it up to do an oil change on it. I know the 09's have the engine a bit farther back in the car, so it's possible you will need ramps or to at least get it raised a bit somehow.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
as manxman stated above about those generic Rhino ramps,
i made an extension out of some left over oak i had. each time i
use the extension, i loosely fasten the extension onto the Rhino
using large screws so that the extension does not separate
from the ramp.

been working great for the last 3yrs or so.

thinking about getting this later on if i feel the need:
56" Ramps - Car Ramps | Get your Car Up 8"! | RaceRamps.com your best solution for Lightweight Car Ramps!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by Scaldy
I'm thinking of purchasing a "quick oil drain valve"* and doing my own oil changes. My first question is, when I change the oil myself do I need to reset the Honda's computer somehow to tell the oil life to reset etc. Does it do it automatically or do I need a shop to reset it?

Second question is, how is the front clearance for an 09 Sport on ramps? I'm thinking this is the easiest way to raise the car to drain it.
Thanks

*PIC and link

QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil
OK, it is the F-106 drain plug. With or without the nipple? With or without an adaptor? With an adaptor, which one??

Thanks.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
Get the nipple version, that way you can just attach a hose to it next time and drain the oil, the extension is not needed for the Fit.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:07 AM
OK, thanks for the help.

L8R