2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Intake/Air filter combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Best Intake/Air filter combo

I see that the old standby, K&N, has an intake and air filter combo for the GE and that some other outfit in SoCal has a similar one with a washable filter. There may be others. Has anyone evaluated the differences between these kits and determined which is the best? I have a brand spanky new white stick Basic '09 and am thinking of a new intake, so any experience out there could help.

Thanks.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Beware, K&N has made some pretty crappy products for the GD3... lots of complaints and people who were not happy. Do a quick search here on FitFreak for the K&N Typhoon and you will find a huge scandle of customers bing mistreated and given parts that just don't fit.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...phoon-sri.html

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 03-11-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Cool safe cold air intake for 2009 honda fit

go to prmracing.com, its a canadian racing company out or toronto that makes a really nice cold air intake for 2009 honda fit, that produces better power gains, than kandn, weapon-r, or any other intake company, i just ordered mine today and will be recieving it in 5 business days so probably next friday at the latest.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by jonahstjernegaard
go to prmracing.com, its a canadian racing company out or toronto that makes a really nice cold air intake for 2009 honda fit, that produces better power gains, than kandn, weapon-r, or any other intake company, i just ordered mine today and will be recieving it in 5 business days so probably next friday at the latest.
Actually K&N hasnt released their intake yet, theyre taking volunteers to test fit. Someone already gave their car to K&N for this purpose.

WeaponR advertises a 13whp gain which is 100% BS and a horrible design for an intake.

PRM is nice but its just a filter on a stick.

Ill wait for the T1R intake which includes a chamber and places the filter away from the engine utilizing the stock underhood air scoop to provide fresh cool air to the filter. The same design has already been used for big JDM names like last station and nobblesse. Should be out in a couple of months.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Actually K&N hasnt released their intake yet, theyre taking volunteers to test fit. Someone already gave their car to K&N for this purpose.

WeaponR advertises a 13whp gain which is 100% BS and a horrible design for an intake.

PRM is nice but its just a filter on a stick.

Ill wait for the T1R intake which includes a chamber and places the filter away from the engine utilizing the stock underhood air scoop to provide fresh cool air to the filter. The same design has already been used for big JDM names like last station and nobblesse. Should be out in a couple of months.
I second everything he said!

Old 03-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by manxman
Your description of the T1R is the exact same thing as the new PRM, except for the chamber which does nothing at all but take up space and soak up heat. The PRM design puts the intake exactly where the stock intake is.
So how does it make any power...?

The chamber stores air which helps low-mid throttle response. It doesnt matter how hot the intake gets because the air is not in the intake long enough to get hot. Plus the material of the T1R intake will not get as hot as the aluminum pipe of the PRM.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/aj-r...9-fit-ge8.html

As mentioned before, very reputable companies like last station and nobblesse already use this design and apparantly it works over in JDM land if everybody still uses the design. Im not saying PRM is bad. But I rather wait for the T1R.

Edit to your edit: Its not a 90 degree bend, its alot smoother than it appears. Its just the outside of the mold that makes it look like that. And I get it, your very happy with your PRM and you plug it every chance you get. But try to be open minded and realize that the PRM intake isnt the ONLY intake that will make power. You dont have to go around bashing everything that isnt PRM

Here is an dyno for the T1R intake for the GD. An honest dyno unlike the ones other manufacturers provide us with. Only 2whp at redline but about 3-5whp throughout the entire powerband which is where it matters. Thats the whole point of the chamber.

Ive shared what I know, not my fault if your too close minded to share opinions and facts. I provide the facts and my personal opinions and let the owners decide.

Last edited by qbmurderer13; 03-14-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:58 AM
It looks to me as if both T1R and the PRM place their intake over on the driver's side wheel well. That would feed them both cool air. Whether the fold in the intake is a problem will not be answered until we see a posting of the dyno results. It is all conjecture until then. K&N? Will they get theirs ready anytime soon? Will it be protected from the wet? Where I am it rains a lot: ~190 inches a year (NOAA).

Old 03-14-2009, 01:29 AM
I dont disagree with you that PRM is a great intake, in fact I might consider also purchasing it. But the T1R intake at least in other models showed bigger gains throughout the lower and middle rpm range, which leads to me believe its due to the chamber, this isnt the only design that utilizes the chamber.

I know PRM will make more peak power and have better throttle response. But I think for daily driving the T1R will perform better. Ive noticed this from having owned alot of short ram intakes vs cold air intakes vs ram air intakes.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by boojum
It looks to me as if both T1R and the PRM place their intake over on the driver's side wheel well. That would feed them both cool air. Whether the fold in the intake is a problem will not be answered until we see a posting of the dyno results. It is all conjecture until then. K&N? Will they get theirs ready anytime soon? Will it be protected from the wet? Where I am it rains a lot: ~190 inches a year (NOAA).
Dont bother with K&N. They dont have a good rep around here. Either go with PRM or wait for the T1R.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:49 AM
I shared my opinion, and here's another one- air doesn't need to be stored anywhere to get into the throttle body and intake manifold. Air is just sitting around at a pressure of 14.7 psi at seal level, and the only place it CAN go is into your cylinders on the intake stroke. The whole "chamber is better" is total bullshit. Just because "everyone in JDM Land uses" the design, doesn't make it any less bullshit.

Just wait for the dyno figures- they will be available months sooner from PRM than they will from T1R or the other three or four marketers of the exact same toaster oven. I already know which design will make more power- you'll just have to wait to get the same information.

And you are right on only one thing- the toaster oven does not have a 90 degree bend as I stated- it actually has three. That guarantees slower flow due to turbulence. The PRM has no bends at all. And the earlier PRM design that HAD bends generated 6 hp.

I am posting the facts for the OP and for others who are looking for the best intake for their money. I am not posting for you. Buy whatever JDM Land crap you want- all you are getting is an unreasonably high price. Style over substance.

Hmmmm, I dunno. I think there is a reason why so many companies chose to go with the chamber design. My view of it is like this:

Take a water hose and turn it on- the water flows at a decent pressure.

Now bend the hose completely for a quick second, then release- the water then has a slightly harder pressure coming out.

The point where you release the hose and the water comes out at a higher pressure is the same exact point when you shift. You hold in the air in the chamber, because the throttle is closed, then as you complete your shift and continue accelerating , the held in air is now pressured and forced in at a higher pressure, thus giving a good bump in the A/F mixture.

Also please don't bash highly reputable companies, calling their products toaster ovens??....really uncalled for. The only reason why its expensive is because of how its made and then handed down from company to company. Everyone's gotta make money ya know.

If anything, it would be great if you constructed your own design and share your progress.

I believe knowledge is power and its obvious you have it, so use it

Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
My favorite intake maker hasn't released their offering yet; Injen. From my experience & dyno runs I've witnessed, they always make excellent fitting, looking & performing air intakes... Just kinda pricey.

My 2nd favorite intake maker, AEM, is also working on a GE8 intake. AEM has (IMO) The best filters out there, with their oil-free, reusable synthetic microfiber "DryFlow" line of filters that filter damn near as well as stock paper mediums while outflowing them by HUGE margins.. but still usually trail Injen by a couple whp & in bling factor. But both above brands always strive for CARB & warranty legal parts, always a big plus! Password:JDM's Power Chamber intakes usually dyno well too.

Those guys have the "name recognition" but there are definitely smaller brands that make very effective intakes (T1R, PRM, Fujita, Weapon-R etc.)
It just frustrates the crap outta me & I'm sure many of you fellow enthusiasts / tuners to have bought such an Awesome little car during one of the biggest economic downturns in recent history.. thats my guess why the GE8's aftermarket is slow to bloom.. Gotta have $$$ for R&D and to take risks!

Old 03-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Fujita ftw!

ofcourse nothing wrong with AEM either.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm gonna wait for Apexi come out with an SRI.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by EK3 Ferio
I'm gonna wait for Apexi come out with an SRI.
One that they will probably place right next to the engine to soak up all the heat. The only kind of short ram intake design that will work is prm's.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Paragraph 4 is complete nonsense. The throttle body never completely closes. If it did, the engine would die. The t/b comes to the idle (partially open) position when the accelerator is not being depressed. Atmospheric pressure does not change, ever. Whether your intake is a filter on a box, or a "filter on a stick" as someone else described it. Fluid dynamics teaches you that flow velocity slows down when the fluid must change directions, and when the fluid is drawn at high speed through an enlarged, irregular shape in the system, turbulence is created causing a further decrease in velocity.

Look up the term "vortex whistle" to understand flow characteristics in chambers.

In the new PRM design, no bends, no boxes, no velocity restriction.

Oh, by the way, anything that flows is a fluid.

Oh right right the throttle isn't completely closed. So then there is still air seeping through because as you said the engine would die. Ok, so would that be equivalent to whistling? You blow with your mouth wide open. Then you whistle. I think the airflow when you are whistling is traveling at a slight higher pressure then when your mouth is wide open. So thats why I see it as when the air is coming into the throttle, then it idles, where does the air that's already in the intake go/doing?

So I think that's what the chamber is for, to keep in the air, but still maintain velocity.

I dunno I still like it and I don't doubt the R&D these companies go through.

So are we going to get a manxman intake or not?

Old 03-14-2009, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
k&n drop in ftw

Old 03-14-2009, 06:35 PM
I understand disagreeing about a product, but are the personal attacks really necessary? We may not be as "educated" as you when it comes to fluid dynamics and such but were are certainly more mature than you when it comes to disagreeing.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
wait for the T1R chamber intake to come out, then get an APEX'i air filter to replace the generic one.

atleast that'd be the best setup for an AT :]

Old 03-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Honestly 1FiTpINOY and qbmurderer13, if you guys try to defend yourself, or a certain design on an intake, and you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and are basing your argument on your own limited reasoning skills and non-existent experience, then when someone comes in here and smacks you around with facts and actual scientific knowledge, it would be best to quietly pay attention and learn something instead of complaining about it.

Why not do your own ACTUAL research into fluid dynamics. Find out how air really is a fluid. Learn for yourself how fluid reacts to it's environment. Then you might be able to truly understand how ludicrous some of your statements sound to someone who does know and understands.

Seriously, do yourself and those to whom your are giving advise to a huge favor: read a book. Blathering on about how XYZ Intake is so much better than the ABC intake, and then backing it up with utter nonsensical drivel, is not the best way to make a reputation around here.

Especially since this forum is not completely populated with keyboard jockeys and magazine racer wannabe sychophants. Every once in a while you will come across a "manxman" who will gleefully show you the error of your ways, and some of them may not be as nice as he is.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
What blows my mind is when you guys make statements like this:

"I know PRM will make more peak power and have better throttle response. But I think for daily driving the T1R will perform better."

and
"I dunno(sic) I still just like it"
(referring to his inability to understand what really is going in inside of a chamber-style intake, but not caring, because for some silly reason, he just likes it!)

So one of you has the knowledge that the PRM makes more power and has better throttle response, but somehow you think the other intake is somehow magically better. And this thought process is not based on any factual information or even actual experience. Is it based on the idea that you like the name better? Or you like the pretty pictures on the box better? Or is it the flashy website selling the T1R intake that draws you in?

And the other person readily admits they have no clue how any of it works or why he feels this way, but they like it anyway.

Does any of this sound reasonable? You can't explain why, but some gut feeling tells you this intake is better, regardless of what any imperical data may say otherwise. And you go so far as to recommend to everyone and anyone, rush out and get the T1R as soon as it is available and ignore any other intake on the market!

I'm lost.

Quick Reply: Best Intake/Air filter combo