2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Intake/Air filter combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
If your referring to me your mistaken. If you look a couple posts back you will see I said that T1R or PRM are the best choices intake from my personal experience running both short intakes and chambered intakes in my previous cars.

Comparing T1R's old dyno vs the PRM intake, the T1R intake has better gains throughout the lower to middle rpm range (usually where people are at in daily driving) vs prm's higher peak horsepower in the upper rpms.

I never claimed I was educated in fluid dynamics but I was giving my opinion based on personal experiences and dyno's I've seen. I'm not telling anybody that x or y intake is better I am just saying I believe they will behave differently.

Again this is an opinion coming from a person who has not done any research on fluid dynamics. Feel free not to believe anything I just said.

Last edited by qbmurderer13; 03-14-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
You really need to go back to, or stay in, school- whatever the case may be. You have absolutely no understanding of fluid dynamics, of the earth's atmosphere, or even how YOU breathe. "Where does the air that's already in the intake go?" Did you R E A L L Y ask such a question? Do you understand what atmospheric pressure is?? Do you understand what vacuum is?? Do you know what each of the four strokes of a four stroke internal combustion engine are called, and do you know what happens in each of those strokes?

It is not my responsibility to provide you with an education, and you are WAY beyond any possibility of a reasonable, adult conversation about how any part of an engine works, let alone intake systems.

I looked up the course catalog in my university and came across EML 5709. I will take that next semester as to help with my education of atmospheric pressure, fluid dynamics, and how vacuum works. I will also learn about the combustion chambers in our engine where fuel and air meet and combust to help push down the pistons.

I will also take BME 4230. I will learn how I breathe.

But I don't know why I can't I ask that question? Is there a forum rule that saids I can't ask that question? What if your son/daughter asks you that same question? Are you going to slap him/her in the face as well and step on them as if they were a nothing piece of crap and call them a toaster oven and bash them?

I am sorry then. I apologize for asking such a stupid stupid question. I am sorry for even making that post. I really feel like killing myself now. >_<

I am sorry for everything. I thought I was just posting what I thought, and wanted to learn something from you but it doesn't matter I guess.

Last edited by 1FiTpINOY; 03-14-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sid 6.7
Honestly 1FiTpINOY and qbmurderer13, if you guys try to defend yourself, or a certain design on an intake, and you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and are basing your argument on your own limited reasoning skills and non-existent experience, then when someone comes in here and smacks you around with facts and actual scientific knowledge, it would be best to quietly pay attention and learn something instead of complaining about it.

Why not do your own ACTUAL research into fluid dynamics. Find out how air really is a fluid. Learn for yourself how fluid reacts to it's environment. Then you might be able to truly understand how ludicrous some of your statements sound to someone who does know and understands.

Seriously, do yourself and those to whom your are giving advise to a huge favor: read a book. Blathering on about how XYZ Intake is so much better than the ABC intake, and then backing it up with utter nonsensical drivel, is not the best way to make a reputation around here.

Especially since this forum is not completely populated with keyboard jockeys and magazine racer wannabe sychophants. Every once in a while you will come across a "manxman" who will gleefully show you the error of your ways, and some of them may not be as nice as he is.

You are absolutely right Sid 6.7 I am sorry for posting my thoughts and opinions, I should have posted them in such a way where it didn't seem like facts. I just wanted to put what I think/thought how intakes work.

I am just a stupid toaster oven from stupid wack JDM land.

I will end my posts so that the OP can actually learn what he/she is really looking for. Facts. Which is something I obviously can't provide.
Sorry for everything again guys. Hope you can forgive me -_-

Last edited by 1FiTpINOY; 03-14-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Beware, K&N has made some pretty crappy products for the GD3... lots of complaints and people who were not happy. Do a quick search here on FitFreak for the K&N Typhoon and you will find a huge scandle of customers bing mistreated and given parts that just don't fit.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...phoon-sri.html

not the same car, but i put a k&n short ram on my si, fitment kind of sucks and the heatshield dont fit at all wit my tb spacer. i need to shorten the intake now so i would say stay away from it

Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Nobody needs to get upset in here. There is nothing wrong at all with asking intelligent questions. C'mon, be reasonable.

The issue here was not about wether you are allowed to have an opinion about a certain intake or not. The issue here was that people were blindly recommending a certain course of action. And when those people were asked why there choice was superior, the response made no sense and was based more on emotional attachment with a particular brand or design, that on reality.

I think at it's core, the thing that manxman and some of the older members here have a problem with, is the continuation of the "blind leading the blind".

The dissemination of pure conjecture and ignorant drivel, while being presented as factual postulations, furthers and continues the cycle of blatant ignorance within the import community. We need to break the chain, and start learning and passing on truth and reality.

We can all have opinions. And opinions aren't necessarily right or wrong. An opinion can be based on perception and personal taste. Just don't expect to be able to walk in here, present that opinion as being superior to all others, and not be able to reasonably explain your position in a rational manner. If you wish for others to respect and adopt your feelings on a matter, then you should arm yourself with any and all pertinent information to support you theories.

If not, then don't cry about it afterwards, just because you showed up to a battle of wits, unarmed.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1FiTpINOY
I looked up the course catalog in my university and came across EML 5709. I will take that next semester as to help with my education of atmospheric pressure, fluid dynamics, and how vacuum works. I will also learn about the combustion chambers in our engine where fuel and air meet and combust to help push down the pistons.

I will also take BME 4230. I will learn how I breathe.
This right here is the right direction. I applaud you, if you are serious about this and not just being sarcastic.

I think this is exactly what a lot of people need to do. Educate themselves. Find out for yourself what reality is. Learn. And then share that knowledge with others, teaching them the correct way.

This is the way you break the cycle of ignorance and magazine jockey bench racing.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Sid 6.7
This right here is the right direction. I applaud you, if you are serious about this and not just being sarcastic.

I think this is exactly what a lot of people need to do. Educate themselves. Find out for yourself what reality is. Learn. And then share that knowledge with others, teaching them the correct way.

This is the way you break the cycle of ignorance and magazine jockey bench racing.

I am completely serious about this and will jump at the oppurtunity if given

Old 03-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Retired Moderator
Thumbs down Bow down

Ah yes... this thread starts again..... plastic toaster vs metal tube with filter on a stick...Name:  horse.gif
Views: 517
Size:  4.2 KB