2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil changed folks: what oil/filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork
Here is more internet info (take it with a grain of salt)

Lot's of posts on lots of forums claim that the Honda filter is made by Fram (I do not know for sure)
and other posts, guys who have taken all kinds of filters apart claim the Fram is minimal in quality. (I dont make this stuff up folks, but a lot of info available if you got an hour to google)

2 questions come to mind
would Honda use an inferior quality filter and risk more engine warranty claims? The answer would be no if it were more than a couple dozen extra engine replacements.

would any auto manufacturer (including Honda) be tempted to buy filters from Fram if say they could save $1 a filter?
Sure because if they supplied say 4 million OEM filters a year that is a big profit.
Again it may be mindless internet chatter, don't know, but there seems to be a substantial amount of info along those lines, and certainly I am in no way trying to discourage the use of Honda oil filters.
Main reason I am not using the Honda filter right now is the Bosch was on sale and it is made by Puralator (Pure One). That one always rates high and it was convenient.
Honda North America uses 2 "different" brands' filters for the '09 Fit: Honeywell's (Fram's) 15400-PLM-A02 & FilTech's (Toyo Roki's) 15400-PLM-A01

FilTech/Toyo Roki makes many of the higher end Honda's filters like the larger S2000 unit, which I ran on my D & B-Series cars with excellent results. I'd always try & find the 15400-PLM-A01 filter over the A02 Frams just from how long the S2K filters kept the oil fresh... I just wouldn't recommend using the S2000 unit (part # 15400-PCX-004) since the L15 oil pump looks pretty aenemic next to even a D-Series... wouldn't want to risk straining the little sucker with too much oil pressure.

Here's some pix from a 4-yr old thread I made comparing a Napa Gold/Wix to the S2K filter.. enjoy!

D-series.org - View Single Post - S2000 Toyo Roki oil filter (Japanese)

Old 03-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by mikejet
Gonna run Amsoil with the OEM filter when I get my oil change next month.
I'm using Amsoil on my 08 R32, but I don't think it's necessary for the Fit, shouldn't be rev'ing it high, what's the point to having an economical engine

Mobil 1 has been fine in my GSR which revs 8k once in a while.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by EUROz*JDMz
I'm using Amsoil on my 08 R32, but I don't think it's necessary for the Fit, shouldn't be rev'ing it high, what's the point to having an economical engine

Ok, thanks for the tip. I'll just use Mobil 1 full synth. Save some money too!

Old 03-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Import Al
FilTech/Toyo Roki makes many of the higher end Honda's filters like the larger S2000 unit
I liked the tokorokis, except their now made in USA? WTF? my new batch of Hamps are made in USA as well? ahh well, I have 1 leftover japan toki roki I didn't use, haha... just save it as a souvenior.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Import Al
Honda North America uses 2 "different" brands' filters for the '09 Fit: Honeywell's (Fram's) 15400-PLM-A02 & FilTech's (Toyo Roki's) 15400-PLM-A01

FilTech/Toyo Roki makes many of the higher end Honda's filters like the larger S2000 unit, which I ran on my D & B-Series cars with excellent results. I'd always try & find the 15400-PLM-A01 filter over the A02 Frams just from how long the S2K filters kept the oil fresh... I just wouldn't recommend using the S2000 unit (part # 15400-PCX-004) since the L15 oil pump looks pretty aenemic next to even a D-Series... wouldn't want to risk straining the little sucker with too much oil pressure.

Here's some pix from a 4-yr old thread I made comparing a Napa Gold/Wix to the S2K filter.. enjoy!

D-series.org - View Single Post - S2000 Toyo Roki oil filter (Japanese)
see there you go! A well educated in the know guy who confirms the A02 Honda filter is made by Fram, and who seems to avoid the Honda/ Fram filter if there is another choice.

Thats what I am saying, lot of sharp guys on the net prefer to NOT use the OEM Honda/Fram filter (A02)

Old 03-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
see there you go! A well educated in the know guy who confirms the A02 Honda filter is made by Fram, and who seems to avoid the Honda/ Fram filter if there is another choice.
I've known that for years, ever since they went from the bigger sized ones to the smaller ones. (though the S2000s continued to be bigger made in japan) until recently anyway.

Seen Fram on the A02 filters and knew they were junk. I always stuck with s2000 ones or JDM Hamp on my Integra.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member

What does “high-revving” have anything to do with it? I run synthetics in all of my vehicles. Sure, it does better at higher temps and resists breaking down, but still, I use it for better wear and longer OCI’s. Besides, doesn't the R32 redline at something like 7k anyway? Hardly considered "high-revving".

I’ve seen too many Mobil1 UOA’s come back with bad results (compared to Amsoil, Valvoline, etc.). I’d suggest not using Mobil1. Also, to the poster that was going to use Amsoil with OEM filter, please use a better filter. A better oil is not going to do you much good without a good filter.

EDIT: Here is a good read:

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

Last edited by p nut; 03-18-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:32 PM
+1 for mobil-1

Old 03-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
M1 (silver cap) 5W20, factory blue filter and washer is wat i use.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by p nut

What does “high-revving” have anything to do with it? I run synthetics in all of my vehicles. Sure, it does better at higher temps and resists breaking down, but still, I use it for better wear and longer OCI’s. Besides, doesn't the R32 redline at something like 7k anyway? Hardly considered "high-revving".
I'm running Amsoil in the R32 cause it's a premium car, not cause I need to rev it high, though I don't think I can justify the premium for the cost of Amsoil for the FIT.

Reason why I stick with Mobil1 for my Hondas as probably many others have, is, availability, price, and company reputation. Doesn't higher revs put more stress on components? So what's your argument about high revs?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
who made you $10 today????????

for those dumb arse mobil 1 users (oh wait, that would include me)

$10 downloadable rebate form, usable with 5 qt purchase.

to all the thank yous I'm gonna get .....I reply "you're welcome"

Mobil - The Oil That's Changing Oil

Old 03-18-2009, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Mobil 1 and Purolator or OEM filter

Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 PM
We're still talking about the Honda Fit right?

Dino oil still gunna be ok if I plan on changing every 5-6k (which shows about 50% on the oil meter) along with a decent filter (non-fram or oem-fram) ?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by raigomaru
Dino oil still gunna be ok if I plan on changing every 5-6k (which shows about 50% on the oil meter) along with a decent filter (non-fram or oem-fram) ?
Yeah, you'll be fine. The few Fit oil analyses I've seen from cars with a bit of mileage on them indicates that the engines (the GD's at least) seem to be really easy on the oil. The mild climate in SoCal (not much cold weather) will help the oil longevity, too.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
You guys think the Honda Filter will be ok if I plan to change oil every 10K miles with mobil 1? Filter 15400-PLM-A01

Old 03-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
$10, but it would cost more for me to spend the time to go deposit it at the bank. hahahahaha.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
how does royal purple rate ?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:01 PM
from what i remember, amsoil and mobil1 synthetics were rated the highest. Royal purple was decent, but I don't think it was the best. Royal purple puts moly in theirs, yeah? I don't know much about oils, this is just what i remember reading.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
$10, but it would cost more for me to spend the time to go deposit it at the bank. hahahahaha.
True the $10 Mobil 1 rebate is not much interest to high rollers,
but you could do it and sign it over to the maid or gardener?

Or better yet, sign it over to the guy who details your fleet of cars

Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Gonna do an oil change next weekend, going on a long road trip and this will be the first one on the car.

Royal Purp and K&N filter overkill?

Quick Reply: oil changed folks: what oil/filter?