2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Suddenly i dont feel so safe :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:13 AM
Suddenly i dont feel so safe :(

the link will explain for itself
IIHS finds sub-compacts fair poorly against mid-size sedans

if thats against a midsize car, what about an SUV???

Last edited by strmslvrfit; 04-14-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
eh nothing is safe anymore there are risk for everything

Old 04-14-2009, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
OH F THAT i wanna trade in NOW!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 AM
In other news, an M1 Abrams tank will come off better in a collision with just about any car. No new information here.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Ehh, am I missing something here? cause the article says the FIT earned a "GOOD" crash rating.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 AM
Fit looked better than the Yaris. Yeouch!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:34 AM
It's also the equivalent of a 80 MPH collision. It was stated more clearly in a USA Today article I read that this was each car doing 40, for a combined effective rate of 80 mph. I'd bet that the majority of accidents are not straight head-on, nor car-into-immovable-object at 80 mph. The linked article also states that mid-size cars only did 17% better.

Here (Detroit News) is another article where the manufacturers dispute the results (of course ), with this example quote:
Smart USA, Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. all issued statements questioning the validity of the IIHS test. Toyota said of 6 million crashes in a year, just 2,600 had a closing speed of 80 mph or higher, a claim IIHS disputed

Old 04-14-2009, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member
you bought an econoshitbox. what did you expect? most cars on the road will pwn the fit in a head on collision.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
My Jazz got rear-ended heavily by a bus last June. Last I checked, I'm still breathing.

Oh, and my car's been repaired too.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 AM
regular sedans will have the same results against suv's

suv's flip easily...
chevy's engines catch fire (according to a new recall)...

A tree can fall on you while your walking down the street. NO ONE is fully safe ever. Geez

Get over it people...

There is always risk at any vehicle on the road.
Best safety is defensive driving.....

Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 AM

Are those SSR Comps on that impact car?.....What are those?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Head on crash?

Watching the morning news would have led me to believe the fit is not as safe.. I bought my 2009 3 days ago. The video was of a older model which the reporter did not mention , and I thought the 2009 had 5 stars for frontal crashes. I guess you can't believe every thing on Tv, especially silly tv reporters.

Last edited by dayzeedawg; 04-14-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by strmslvrfit
the link will explain for itself
IIHS finds sub-compacts fair poorly against mid-size sedans

if thats against a midsize car, what about an SUV???

Good article! Consider all the factors. Slow down. Drive defensively (as in: not like a lunatic). Drive less. Take public transit or walk more often.

How many head on collisions would there be if everyone drove at a whopping 5 mph? Not too many. Because there would be plenty of time to avoid the other vehicle tottering along.

How many fatalities for two vehicles at 5 mph would there be? Someone might break a nail.

Where are the biggest vehicles going the fastest? Freeway, the big routes, for truckers. Don't drive there, or drive there less.

While you have absolutely no control over who else is on the road, you have complete control of when YOU are on the road. You often have control over what routes you take to get to and from the places you go.

Avoid driving "rookie nights/days". You know, those holiday weekends when everyone is on the road to somewhere. New Year's Eve. That's a deadly one. Fourth of July? Have a nice barbecue or pot luck with your neighbors in your neighborhood. Don't drive.

If you're in one of those areas that get jam packed with tourists or spring break kids, just hide under your bed until they go home. Just in case some drunken fool careens across your yard and crashes into your car in the driveway.

In a lot of ways, you are better off with this car. It's reliable. That means you don't put yourself or others at risk if the car breaks down in a really bad spot.

By "really bad spot" I'm thinking of the time my clutch plate broke...
on the Bay Bridge...
during rush hour...

I don't think my fine FIT will be letting me down like that old VW I had.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't think this is anything we didn't already know.

Funny though, the timing of this seems fishy, with US automakers taking a huge identity hit this year. And why don't they include any other domestic smallish cars... Ford Fiesta anyone?

I smell a conspiracy (even though it really isn't saying anything false)!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by dayzeedawg
Watching the morning news would have led me to believe the fit is not as safe.. I bought my 2009 3 days ago. The video was of a older model which the reporter did not mention , and I thought the 2009 had 5 stars for frontal crashes. I guess you can't believe every thing on Tv, especially silly tv reporters.
That's right!

The '09 does have more of that crumple zone they are basically saying is the less safe factor.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
OK, so Japanese made cars are not that safe when it comes to head on collision.. so what? GM just recall 1.5 Million cars cos they may catch fire when its moving~!! So, tell me... which one is safer?

Next Question...

Old 04-14-2009, 11:01 AM
"Nonprofit" IIHS is fully funded by auto insurers (whose only goal is increased premiums disguised as loss mitigation). Period. Okay, perhaps their goal is R&D/verification for the insurers as well.

The real answer on safety lies somewhere in between what IIHS proposes and what Honda proposes. One would keep in mind that Honda has a pretty good track record.

It's irresponsible blogging and journalism that allows it to be aired without a counterpoint that consists of something other than "Honda denies".

Of the Minicars, IIHS rated the Fit the best: IIHS-HLDI: Minicars - Current Models

Last edited by Plink; 04-14-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by minnemike
That's right!

The '09 does have more of that crumple zone they are basically saying is the less safe factor.
It doesnt matter if its the "older" GD or the "newer" GE... Fit is a safe car for what it is... if not, GD will not be the best seller in Japan for 6 years and you guys will not have GE to begin with =\

Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Guinness
It doesnt matter if its the "older" GD or the "newer" GE... Fit is a safe car for what it is... if not, GD will not be the best seller in Japan for 6 years and you guys will not have GE to begin with =\

This is not the time for the great GD/GE debate. In times like these, we Fit brothers must unite the evil bad publicity scourge! And I agree, the Fit is safe for an ultra compact! Why don't we hear stories on CNN about how safe a motorcycle is in a head on collision!

Quick Reply: Suddenly i dont feel so safe :(