2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kia Soul, Your Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:00 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by urameatball
Being a person who's still trying to decide between the Soul and Fit, I'll chime in.

The Soul is a great car, it's ABSOLUTELY DECKED OUT in every single option you can ever imagine. The Canadian version comes in 3 packages. 1.6L base, 2.0L base, and RIDICULOUS!
For under $20k CAD, you're getting bluetooth, ipod/mp3/usb/Satellite radio, sunroof, 18" rims, traction control, stability control, fog lamps, roof rack, tinted windows, amazing sound system/sub, external temp gauge, mood lighting, sports suspension, 4wheel discs, heated mirrors, 5yr warranty.
And that's ON TOP of the options available on the Fit Sport.

It's priced approximately $700 more than the Fit Sport, so on paper, it's got AMAZING value.

However, there's a 90% chance I'll decide on the Fit over the Soul because:
1) honda reliability
2) no haggle room for Soul because it's new for 2010
3) Fit interior looks and feels SOOO much better (check inside the glove box of the Soul, it's painted bright red)
4) Sales person at Honda did a very good job making sure I was comfortable with the car before even asking if I'm serious about buying.
5) Soul's throttle was really awkward. There's some weird lag going on there. Revs would stick until nearly 1/2second after you release the throttle. Kinda like Kia used an elastic band for a throttle cable.
Good post. I was really surprised when I researched the Soul to learn of all the features the Sport model (our fully loaded trim) has as standard equipment. I still can't deny I wish the list of items I listed on the first page came with the Fit. Like I said I would have gladly given up the expensive navigation system option to get all of those other items as standard equipment.

But, as others have pointed out, a Kia simply will not be built to the same quality standards as a Honda. The Soul may be a nice little car, but will it still run as well as a Honda will with 150,000 miles on the odometer? Plus the Soul will never have the gas mileage, resale value, or interior space as the Fit, and from everything I've read the Fit is more fun to drive despite the smaller wheels and tires.

I have a feeling in future updates of the Fit some of those items will get added, such as four wheel disc brakes, standard stability control, outside temp gauge, bluetooth, and a better sound system. But hopefully not, as that would just make me jealous anyway since I'm not buying a new car any time soon.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Kia/Hyundai has come a long way. Still remember back in the day (1986) my father buying an Excel. It was an okay car. I like the steps that K/H are taking. However, the only vehicle that I'd buy is the Gensis Coupe or Sedan.

But if they came out with a diesel or diesel/hybrid Soul, I'd be really tempted.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
I don't mind the missing items from my Fit...gives me an excuse to add custom gear upgrade everything! I figured out a while ago that I'm never happy no matter how decked out my stuff is, I always find an excuse to DIY and upgrade everything anyway!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by reako
I don't mind the missing items from my Fit...gives me an excuse to add custom gear upgrade everything! I figured out a while ago that I'm never happy no matter how decked out my stuff is, I always find an excuse to DIY and upgrade everything anyway!

So True, it's an addition. I think I may need to get professional help at times, lol.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dgs

11. 12.7 gallon gas tank. Anything is better than our puny 10.6 gallon tank. Why did it need to be so small?
I don't know why we look at the size of the tank. It is the range that we care about. With 20 / 80 city / Hwy driving, I am getting 38 to 39 mpg. That translates to minimum 350 miles range before fill-up with ample of reserve in tank. I don't have any probelm with that.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Banned
No Sir I Don't Like It!!

I drove to the Kia dealership and the salesman was more interested in my 07 Bom Fit !!!!!
as for my impression, lots of plastic and kinda clunky didn't feel as roomy as my Fit and most importantly no magic seats.
Plus It's A KIA.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the Fit knowing that the American after market manufacturers would eventually answer the call and produce performance parts at a more reasonable price than Mugen and the other Japanese companies..... The wait has finally paid off..... I don't think that the call will be answered for a KIA that loses its resale value over night and has such controversial styling gimmicks..... I have no idea what the handling on one is like or if there will ever be anything that can make into a performance car.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
i drove past a red on on the way back home on the freeway. it looks ok but i wouldn't buy it. i don't like the back of the car.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:59 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by zonianjohn
I drove to the Kia dealership and the salesman was more interested in my 07 Bom Fit !!!!! as for my impression, lots of plastic and kinda clunky didn't feel as roomy as my Fit and most importantly no magic seats. Plus It's A KIA.
Wow, that actually looks really good!! That is a really sporty looking little hatch. You have to Kia some props for the Soul. It might not be as refined as the Fit but it's very well appointed, it looks good, gets decent gas mileage, and is very affordable. I would say if there was no Honda Fit this Kia would be the only other micro car I would consider.

We are all fans of Honda and more specifically the Fit, so I see some of us get a little defensive when other cars are talked about, but this Kia is a nice little hatch, and for a lot of people it will be a better buy than the Fit simply because of the amazing amount of standard features over the Fit Sport. Give Kia props, this is a great first effort in a new market for them and I'm sure over time the car will get even better.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:34 PM
So after breakfast this morning, the girlfriend and I went and drove a Soul. I have to say it was not bad at all. Would I seal the fate of the Fit, of course not but it was not a bad little car. I would actually go as far to say that besides the vague clutch and rubbery shifter I would say it was actually more sporty than the fit. The car felt more planted on the road and the engine was eager to rev. The dealers of course have the car loaded up with add ons that raise the price of a reasonable car to a ridiculous almost 20,000 something. Of course the new small cars are commanding a premium, but that was a little much. As we were leaving we actually watched a new nissan cube Krome roll right past. We are considering going back out after lunch to check one out.

I am anxious to see what the aftermarket will offer for such cars as the Soul and Cube, these are exciting times.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Soul just scored a 5 Star Euro NCAP rating:

VIDEO: Kia Soul aces Euro NCAP crash tests

Old 05-31-2009, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
i drove one today not a bad car at least the a/c blows cold air.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Saw one dolled-up unit parked at Superstore in Richmond today. It is certainly an eye-catcher but considering all the previously mentioned reasons above, I'll put my money down on a Honda any day over a Kia.

Once the novelty dies down, will see how sales of the Soul will perform against the FiT.

Last edited by Benggolf; 05-31-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Benggolf
Saw one dolled-up unit parked at Superstore in Richmond today. It is certainly an eye-catcher but considering all the previously mentioned reasons above, I'll put my money down on a Honda any day over a Kia.

Once the novelty dies down, will see how sales of the Soul will perform against the FiT.
very true i'll bet they will be giving rebate this time next year lol.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:48 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by jaydubz79
As we were leaving we actually watched a new nissan cube Krome roll right past. We are considering going back out after lunch to check one out.
Not a fan of the styling of the Cube. I really don't find it an attractive car at all. It has this weird wrap around window thing on one side that just looks odd to me. Plus it's just too damn boxy, I need something that has curves and looks a little sporty, like the 09 Fit. I hated the first Scion XB because of it's box shape. A box on wheels just doesn't work for me, no matter how space efficient the shape is. Like the Fit I think the Soul is more on the sporty looking side than the boxy side which is why I like the way it looks.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:37 PM
I know Im gonna catch flak for this...but...Im actually considering trading for a Soul. Test drove one, liked the handling, the sound system, pretty comfy too. The Fit does have way more cargo room...the soul has more pass comfort room (imo). I love the extras you get...bluetooth...ipod interface...sat radio...neat little speaker lights...and most of all a Sunroof.....The one thing that lingers in the back of my head is it is a KIA.
They have made a tremendous improvement then what they used to be....anyhow my 2cents

Old 06-16-2009, 06:08 PM
I tried to look at a Soul when I was shopping for my Fit last week. I test drove a Cube, xD, Mazda3, xB, Vibe, and my Fit. I had to BEG the Kia salesperson to even show us the Soul. He knew we were looking around and cars and planned to pick one and buy within the week. When I asked for a Soul test drive, I was told to come back when I was "more serious about buying" because he works "on commission" and if he took us for a ride he might miss out on "actual paying customers".

So we never got to test drive the Soul......but that experience put me off on even trying another Kia regardless of how interested I was originally. It certainly looked like a great step for the company though.

That said, I am very pleased with my brand new Fit Sport!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm gonna make this this quick without the details.

Regardless of its little "bonus features" like its blue-tooth, rear-view mirror lighting, and its center console, the Kia looks horrible. There will be VERY FEW (If Any) aftermarket parts and upgrades available i'm sure.

Seriously, we wouldn't be here flashing our mugen and type r honda badges if we weren't dedicated to Honda's engineering. Let's agree, most of us started out working on our integras and civics, not our spectras.

I bought my 07 fit for about 16,500 (About MSRP) + tax. I wouldn't trade in mine for a box that's 2 grand more (We're not even talking about all the little add-ons-which can bring it up to 20 grand total) just so i can have a little more bass and some ricey lighting around my speakers.

Of Course... this is just my .02

Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 AM
I seldom post, but seeing the title of this thread I have to open my big mouth.

Korea does not welcome American cars, in fact those few in Korea that own American are chastised and ridiculed. This is a fact. I wouldn't support a country with this attitude (nor would I protect the bastards with our military) for anything, but that's just me. I don't care if their automobiles are good, bad, the best thing since sliced bread and half the price of anything else, I wouldn't buy one.

-bob (on his 2nd FIT Sport)

Last edited by bobthenuke; 06-17-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Every time I see a picture of a KIA Soul, I start to wonder If Richard Gere is turned on by them because of the hamster appeal.... He could clean up if he was the spokes person for them in commercials.

Quick Reply: Kia Soul, Your Thoughts