2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

base steel wheels vs sport alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
base steel wheels vs sport alloy wheels

I am preparing to buy a new Honda Fit Sport, but I might ask the dealer to put on a set of 15 inch steel wheels and tires from a base Fit instead of the 16 inch alloy wheels that come standard with the Fit Sport (and of course I'll ask for some sort of discount for this). My reasons for this are the following:

1. The alloy wheels are a target for thieves. I have to say I felt sick and heartbroken to see all the pictures of a sharp-looking Fit sitting on concrete blocks after its wheels were stolen. Wheel thieves should be crucified!

2. The 16 inch alloy wheels require an unusual tire size. I've seen several posts complaining that they either can't find this tire when they need it or their local Honda stealership is the only place they can get it after selling their first-born into bondage.

3. Ride improvement. The low-profile 16 inch wheels reportedly contribute to a rough and bumpy ride. The higher-profile 15 inch tires could smooth things out a bit.

4. Pot holes. The geniuses in our local government have run out of money to fix pot holes, and I've already heard several reports of tires being destroyed and wheels getting cracked. The 15 inch steelie with higher profile tires is less likely to sustain damage if I accidentally hit a bad pot hole.

What are your thoughts on this? Keep in mind that I'm not entering this vehicle into any races or auto shows. In other words, I don't really care if the steel wheels don't look as good or if there is a slight deterioration in handling.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
LOL let's trade!! (see sig photo)

Old 06-03-2009, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
If you don't care for looks or anything then I think you've made a good enough case to swap out for steelies. Though what you could do is keep the alloys as backup, say use them for winter tires (not sure what the weather is like in the winter) and then just go out and spend a few on steelies (which would probably cheaper at a local shop than the stealership). I also have a feeling that you'd be better off financially doing that...even if you don't need another set of rims for winter or whatever, sell the rims and chances are you'd get more money from selling them than trading them in for steelies from the dealership. I'm not 100% if that would be true or not but it's worth looking into.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
the dealer is going to charge you labor to do this. that would negate any discount that you feel entitled to. Do what M4psycho says; you're better off buying steelies somewhere else and trying to sell your stock rims.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Hey fellow IL guy.

I cant believe theft in Bloomington/Normal could be even remotely as dangerous as New Jersey/New york where most of them are seeming to happen. Wheel locks will help to slow down a thief, not prevent just discourage and relatively cheap.

Yeah only 3 tires in the Sport size but that will change by the time you need new tires.

It will hurt resale to not have alloy wheels.

But a better idea might be this........
Get 07-08 Sport 15" alloys, often available here in classifieds pretty cheap.
Then you have your options open to use one of your sets of wheels for winter tires and you have a better looking wheel than the steelies.

I have lightweight SSR wheels for summer, they can bend easier so I know full well the Illinois pot hole dodging routine and slow down for RR tracks. My stock 16's are for winter now.

Another option is.....
both H dealers I deal with have wheel and tire hazard insurance for $1 a month. I bet my wife will cash in on this with her Civic because she is ignorant of the pot hole dodge LOL

16's really are not that radical, many guys have gone with 17's or even 18's.

Enjoy your car, don't worry so much, maybe the $1 a month thing would put you most at ease.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ds61761
I am preparing to buy a new Honda Fit Sport, but I might ask the dealer to put on a set of 15 inch steel wheels and tires from a base Fit instead of the 16 inch alloy wheels that come standard with the Fit Sport (and of course I'll ask for some sort of discount for this). My reasons for this are the following:

1. The alloy wheels are a target for thieves. I have to say I felt sick and heartbroken to see all the pictures of a sharp-looking Fit sitting on concrete blocks after its wheels were stolen. Wheel thieves should be crucified!

2. The 16 inch alloy wheels require an unusual tire size. I've seen several posts complaining that they either can't find this tire when they need it or their local Honda stealership is the only place they can get it after selling their first-born into bondage.

3. Ride improvement. The low-profile 16 inch wheels reportedly contribute to a rough and bumpy ride. The higher-profile 15 inch tires could smooth things out a bit.

4. Pot holes. The geniuses in our local government have run out of money to fix pot holes, and I've already heard several reports of tires being destroyed and wheels getting cracked. The 15 inch steelie with higher profile tires is less likely to sustain damage if I accidentally hit a bad pot hole.

What are your thoughts on this? Keep in mind that I'm not entering this vehicle into any races or auto shows. In other words, I don't really care if the steel wheels don't look as good or if there is a slight deterioration in handling.

As someone said you will not get much of a discount for going with 15" steelies. There are lots of steel wheels available at pretty low cost that you could put the alloys up and use only steelies. 175/65x15's are a good choice for tires. They are slightly bigger in OD but slightly less weight.
As for the 16" tires there are several sizes equivalent to or better than the 185/55x16's.
But if you are dead set on ridding the 16" alloys let us know. I'd buy them for $200.

Last edited by mahout; 06-03-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by kostar
LOL let's trade!! (see sig photo)
Kostar will trade with you if you want steelies.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
!!!!!! i mean i'm not exactly sure how that would happen, i guess i'd have to hitch a ride to work for a few days lol... google maps puts normal about 12hrs away from dallas soooo yeah thats kinda far to drive. but if we can figure out a way to trade, i'm down. my hcaps are pristine and in a friends garage. i have about 1300 miles on my factory wheels/tires.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice everybody. You're probably right that I would be better off getting the car from the dealer with the alloy wheels and then making my own arrangements to get steel wheels and sell the alloys. My impression is that I want the purchase agreement with the dealer to be as simple and straightforward as possible. Any complications just muddy the waters and gives them an opportunity to gank you in some unseen way.

My eyes have really been opened in regards to the snow tires. I've never had snow tires on any of my vehicles, but I think I'll be getting some for my wife for next winter. I read some of the info over at tirerack.com, and it makes total sense that traction and safety would be greatly improved with a tire adapted for winter conditions.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
OEM 07-08 alloys would be best bet. Just trade em with someone on the board from a dry-state like Cali. Then you just pay shipping on the rims, and that's it. They are 15's, super easy to find tires for for a decent price.

Winter tires are better on smaller wheels, and it does soften the road a lil bit with more sidewall. Some alloy wheel locks (mcgards are best) and gorilla wheel lugs and alloys aren't gettin snagged for anything.