2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automobile Mag - Fit, Fiesta, Insight, Jetta TDI

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Automobile Mag - Fit, Fiesta, Insight, Jetta TDI

A comparison of 4 fuel sippers. I'm not sure why they didn't have a Prius in hand.

Some notables:

- They twice mention the flawless manual shifter of the Fit.
- They point out how the Insight's interior isn't any more expensive-looking than the Fit, something I keep pushing on those who think otherwise.

2009 Honda Fit Sport, 2010 Ford Fiesta, 2010 Honda Insight, 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI - Fuel Sipping Car Comparison - Automobile Magazine

Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 PM
dgs
I read that and it seems as though they liked the Jetta the best. However I would not trade Japanese reliability for "German engineering" ever, I don't care how well it drives on the highway. I have known too many people and have read too many horror stories of German autos and their reliability issues to stay far away. I doubt that Jetta will still be running as flawlessly as my Fit when the big mileage starts rolling in; I'm talking 150,000 miles plus.

While I have no intention of buying a new car any time soon, I would be tempted if Honda took the advise of the author and added a 6-speed manual along with wider tires. A nice overdrive 6th gear would make highway cruising so much more pleasant in addition the gas mileage savings due to the engine not reving so high. Rear disc brakes, moonroof, outside temp gauge, and lumbar support would also be really appreciated and would definitely get me to upgrade if those changes were made.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
The only problem with these comparisons is that they never seem to address important issues like long-term reliability and dealer network support. The VW is certainly the most efficient when considering performance as well as fuel economy (which is why the Insight can't compare to it) and certainly "feels" like a well-built German sedan.

But the VW cars seem to have a terrible reliability record, with expensive (not to mention back-ordered) parts and service department personnel who are in dire need of the Dale Carnagie course.

The Fiesta sounds promising and looks every bit as good as the Fit, but lacks the utility. Then there's the long-term reliability issue: How good are they in Europe, and how good will the ones built in Mexico be?

Which leaves the Fit. Here is a car with Japanese reliability and efficiency that (with the '09 models changes) also has the coveted German "tightness, refinement and quality feel." And the utility is unmatched in this segment. I think I'll keep my Fit, thank you very much.