2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 02:39 PM
First Oil Change

I just had my first oil change today on my 09 Sport.
I had about 7200km and oil life of 70%.
It seemed weird that the mileage was so high and oil life was still at 70%, so I asked the dealer when to change it.
They said just bring it in, so I did.
After all was said and done, I received the paperwork on the service and noticed that it showed oil change (NO FILTER).
The great part was, the service was FREE.
But what the hell, no oil filter.
This service seems almost pointless, without a new filter.
Anyone else notice this?

Last edited by rhecht; 06-13-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
What the f***'s wrong with them. That's insane.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhecht
I just had my first oil change today on my 09 Sport.
I had about 7200km and oil life of 70%.
It seemed weird that the mileage was so high and oil life was still at 70%, so I asked the dealer when to change it.
They said just bring it in, so I did.
After all was said and done, I received the paperwork on the service and noticed that it showed oil change (NO FILTER).
The great part was, the service was FREE.
But what the hell, no oil filter.
This service seems almost pointless, without a new filter.
Anyone else notice this?
You never need to change the oil until the little wrench shows up on your dash. If you drive highways mostly, your oil will stay cleaner longer. The oil they put in when they build your car has special stuff in it that helps keep the seals tight, etc. and they should not have changed it. But done is done. Next time let the oil expire before you get it changed.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
The Honda service schedule does say new oil filter every other oil change. If you insisted they will change it for you.

I have been changing oil every 10K miles and oil filter every 20K miles for the past 5 years. I wouldn't worry about it. Honda advice not to have the same oil filter for more than a year. I happened to drive 20K miles a year so they works out for me.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane
You never need to change the oil until the little wrench shows up on your dash. If you drive highways mostly, your oil will stay cleaner longer. The oil they put in when they build your car has special stuff in it that helps keep the seals tight, etc. and they should not have changed it. But done is done. Next time let the oil expire before you get it changed.
Honda oil is by no means special. Yes if you drive mostly highway your oil will last longer. Waiting for the wrench to come on is a bad idea or going by the oil meter.

Check your oil level every few weeks or so, always change the filter when you do an oil change and stick with the correct viscosity oil 5w-20 in the Fit for its tighter tolerances in the engine internals.

And as far has how often to change the oil it all depends on what oil you run. Synthetic Blends can obviously run longer where as conventional oils will break down faster. A safe bet for the Fit would be 5000 - 7500 miles max 10,000 between changes.

This topic has been beaten down on many threads and forums.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
No, it is not a bad idea, it is how the freaking car is made to run. You can put way more effort, time, expense, etc. into oil changes and get bupkis for it. Whatever.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Cat
5 Year Member
I normally wait until my oil reminder is around 20%. Heck I've had my Fit since 05/2007 and only have 12,000 miles on it so my oil changes take a little time to get to that point. I am lucky to live only 8 minutes from my job and I don't do too much traveling! LOL!

Cat :x

Old 06-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane
No, it is not a bad idea, it is how the freaking car is made to run. You can put way more effort, time, expense, etc. into oil changes and get bupkis for it. Whatever.
If you can explain to me how the oil meter in the Fit judges stop and go traffic, the load the engine takes in different types of driving, the 100+ degree weather we have here in TX, someone who has 32 below winters, if you live in dusty or hill country, and whether it has synthetic or regular oil, the list goes on and on I'll start going by the oil meter.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Technically, most of those data are available from the car's ECU. Except for oil type. If you have a Scanguage, you would have known.

The oil meter could be using most of the data you mentioned above or something that's simpler with the same result. The problem is that no one here knows what exactly the oil meter bases its decision on?

Old 06-13-2009, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ein
The Honda service schedule does say new oil filter every other oil change.
Although I change the filter on every oil change, the maintenance minder on my (US) Fit only calls for filter changes on every other oil change.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:25 PM
So it's probably posted up somewhere but, what mileage would you guys "recommend" having your 1st oil change? There's so many people saying different stuff in this post, is there like a Honda "rule of thumb"?

I've never heard of "special oil" as someone up there stated, but in my last car, I always replaced the oil every 3,000 miles with regular oil, and 5,000 with Synthetic. Had a Mazda 6 with a Ford V6 Engine but, that's apples and oranges seeing as this is Honda.

The salesman at the dealership said like 7,000 miles, but I've always heard get your 1st oil change in like 1500 miles b/c of all the metal that's in the oil due to the engine breaking in.

I'll do a search also but thought it was kind of relevant to this thread as well.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:38 PM
^^^
Most modern car engines are broken in at the factory, before assembly. Therefore the old tradition of breaking in a new car doesn't apply anymore. Just drive as you normally would drive and treat the car the way you would treat anything else of value.

I changed my oil at 5K last weekend. My oil meter was at 40%. I mostly went ahead and changed it to get that crap cheap oil the dealerships put in its cars and I put Mobil 1 full synthetic and new filter because I will be going on a road trip next weekend and will be putting close to 1k miles on the fit.

I always run full synthetic in all my cars oil filter every other time. Usually 5K-7K on synthetic oil changes also.

btw yes I notice a considerable difference in the smoothness and efficiency of the engine after putting synthetic in it but thats another discussion for later.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-13-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ammo
So it's probably posted up somewhere but, what mileage would you guys "recommend" having your 1st oil change? There's so many people saying different stuff in this post, is there like a Honda "rule of thumb"?
When the little yellow wrench icon on your dash comes on, as explained in the little book that came with your car.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Lek
That's one good thing about the Thai fit/Jazz. There's no stupid light to come about oil change %.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 AM
The factory fill oil is "special" it contains high amounts of moly to help break-in. I'm a tech at an Acura dealership and was one at Honda, there's actually a service bulletin explaining it because the oil tends to look dark and dealerships were changing it to early.
But I also don't agree with leaving the oil in there until the minder says to change it. Someone here had an oil analysis done on the oil from the first oil change that was done at 6K miles I think and the oil analysis company said it was a good time from what showed up in the oil.
Just because honda designed the maintenance schedule doesn't make it the best; there's lots of stuff they designed that has problems. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
So, if I change the oil early, how do I deal with the other recommended services that won't show up until the "15%" point is reached on the meter. If I keep resetting the meter at 5,000 miles or 50% (or whenever) when I change the oil, I might miss other services, right? There's no mileage or time figure listed for tire rotation, air cleaner replacement, etc. They are also run off the meter.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:42 AM
You can force the minder to show you what the next service is.
I've come up with my own maintenance schedule based on what I've seen on the vehicles in my area. My province is one of the most corrosive areas in the world, so much so Honda has an R&D office here where they have cars driven everyday all day to study the corrosion.
I like doing a B service roughly every 6 months or 16K kms. This keeps the pads from getting stuck in the cradles and wearing out fast.
'A' service every 8k kms roughly.
Air and pollen filters every 24K kms( or 2yrs) as well as brake and clutch fluid.
MTF at 60K kms or 3yrs, spark plugs and coolant every 75k kms or 4yrs.
We plan on keeping this car for a long time.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:04 PM
RTFM!

Change your oil AND filter every 5k miles. I prefer 3k but Honda states 5k so its your choice.

As for the filter? There is no reason or excuse NOT to change it along with your drain bolt washer every oil change.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
So, if I change the oil early, how do I deal with the other recommended services that won't show up until the "15%" point is reached on the meter. If I keep resetting the meter at 5,000 miles or 50% (or whenever) when I change the oil, I might miss other services, right? There's no mileage or time figure listed for tire rotation, air cleaner replacement, etc. They are also run off the meter.
Those service indicators more than likely run off the mileage on your car or sensors that trigger the CPU to turn them on. Resetting the oil life meter should not effect those service indicators from coming on.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
The service manual (page 3-5) says: "When the ignition switch is ON and the remaining oil life is 6% to 15%, the remaining engine oil life and other scheduled maintenance items needing service are displayed."

Also, "The engine oil life and the maintenance items can be reset independently only with the Honda Dignostic System" (service manual page 3-6).

This would seem to imply that the oil life meter and other services are not independent, and are tied together. In other words, if you change your oil more frequently, and reset the maintenance minder when you do, you're on your own to figure out when everything else is due.

It's ironic that a system which was supposed to eliminate doubt and guesswork seems to be having exactly the opposite effect around here.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 06-14-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change