2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My 09 Sport AT Fit is making strange crunching noises.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:20 PM
My 09 Sport AT Fit is making strange crunching noises.

When I turn the key to the second position right before the ignition when hondas turn the fuel pump on and you can hear it pumping, I am hearing a second noise possibly comming from the pump.

Sounds like a crunching or maybe bubbles or teeth of a motor missing a sprockets gears or something.

I also noticed the car starts after one or two turns of the starter when cold, when hot it starts immediately. And the noise seems to be more persistant when the car is cold.

It isn't the starter making the noise cause I am not turning the key past the second point.

Has anyone else noticed this sound and identified it, or just noticed it? In order to hear it you must have all accessories off that make noise, fan and ac and such.

-A

Old 06-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I have the same problem. It definately sounds like its something in the fuel pump. Just thought it was normal. Rather deal with it than have the dealership tear apart my car like savages replacing something that isnt broken.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
I have the same problem. It definately sounds like its something in the fuel pump. Just thought it was normal. Rather deal with it than have the dealership tear apart my car like savages replacing something that isnt broken.
So you consider it a problem.

Do you feel that your fit doesn't start right up as a new car should..?

I feel it might be related.

Can anyone else listen for this and report back to this thread please.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
I don't hear anything out of the ordinary on mine.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by ASBJUNK
So you consider it a problem.

Do you feel that your fit doesn't start right up as a new car should..?

I feel it might be related.

Can anyone else listen for this and report back to this thread please.
It shouldnt be making that noise regardless if its a "problem" or not. Which in my case it doesnt effect the car. It turns on fine.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:07 AM
i hear it in my fit as well... when turning the key to second position a crunching noise... i'll call my dealership about it and report back. if any else has any more info please lemme know! i got a mt 09 sport fyi.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by sl1pg8r
i hear it in my fit as well... when turning the key to second position a crunching noise... i'll call my dealership about it and report back. if any else has any more info please lemme know! i got a mt 09 sport fyi.
Mine is AT, so we know it's less likely to be a tranm issue.

I think it is teeth in the fuel pump sprocket getting missed, and crunching. Just my thought.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:55 AM
i got an AT 09 fit. it does the same thing too. only when it's cold.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Anyone with this issue having cold start issues meaning, the cam shaft has to turn three four times before engine kicks on?

Like diidiidiivroom, or diidiidiidiivroom?

Old 09-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that my Fit has this same noise and it's now taking longer to start up than it did when new (I'm at 6500 miles).

Has anyone gotten this fixed by the dealer?

Old 09-06-2009, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
I think the fuel pump guess might be right.

For sure, the Fit as a whole is relatively reliable, but trouble-free, I couldn't say that about mine, Japanese build or not. My Mazda CX-9 was assembled in Hiroshima, but the same applies to it.

I'm starting to think that the gap between Japanese and "anything else" build isn't as large as I once believed, at least not for my two vehicles. Aside from Chrysler and Maseratti (where q/c is non-existent), most manufacturers have had to get better or perish, not just with build, but with the quality of their sourced parts.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
has anyone experience a CLICK sound when reversing and then right wen you put it into drive and start gassing it it goes CRLICK? lol

Old 09-06-2009, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone with this issue having cold start issues meaning, the cam shaft has to turn three four times before engine kicks on?
Yes- me too. Takes a second or so longer to fire up when cold. Warm it turns right over. I'm a little over 500 miles on the engine now. I have not noticed the crunching noise though. I'll have a listen later when the car cools down again.

Dan

Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 AM
My fit took longer to start when it was cold, and I realized it was the way I was parking. I started letting it idle a bit (maybe three seconds) to stabilize RPMs at 750, and it starts up in no time at all. I have to do the same thing with my Civic.

I would go in and ask about the noise. See if you can get them to listen and at least tell you what it might be.

The fuel pump is relatively simple on the GE8. Completely accessible from outside the car.

Actually:
Try having someone start it while you slide up under the car around the driver's seat area. You should instantly know where the fuel pump is, and if the noise is coming from there.

Last edited by awptickes; 09-07-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
I wanted to post back here because I've been following a few peoples advice here to hang in ignition position [2nd position with key before starting] for a couple of seconds and then start the engine. This has been working and starting the car has gotten noticeably better. Out here in the burbs of NY, it's still not freezing yet but it was down in the 40's last night. Following this proceedure, the car turned right over. Even the first start of day when it's warm out, it does the trick. My Fit has never really been troublesome to start- just took a wee bit longer to turn over than I would expect in a new car, when starting cold. This proceedure has eliminated any hesitation upon startup. The only time I don't need to do it is if the car is warm already- such as store hopping, errands, and such.

So to the few who recommened it- thank you!

And to those who've experienced this, give it a shot. It does work well, IME.

Dan

Old 09-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chubbykai
has anyone experience a CLICK sound when reversing and then right wen you put it into drive and start gassing it it goes CRLICK? lol
That could be your brakes.

Why do my brakes make a single “click” noise when I back out of a parking place and once again when I drive forward?

A clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pads allows for heat expansion and avoids corrosion between the caliper bracket and the brake pads. That clearance can cause the pads to hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new directions of travel. When you back up and apply the brakes and then drive forward and apply the brakes, the single “click” noise you hear is a normal characteristic of the brake system.

Frequently Asked Questions - the Official Honda Web Site

Old 09-21-2009, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Gee, if everyone hears the noise then it's probably not a problem.

And 3-4 turns before starting is NOT a problem. Trying keeping the key in the ON position a few seconds before you crank it to allow the fuel pump to prime and pressurize the system.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
That could be your brakes.

Why do my brakes make a single “click” noise when I back out of a parking place and once again when I drive forward?

A clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pads allows for heat expansion and avoids corrosion between the caliper bracket and the brake pads. That clearance can cause the pads to hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new directions of travel. When you back up and apply the brakes and then drive forward and apply the brakes, the single “click” noise you hear is a normal characteristic of the brake system.

Frequently Asked Questions - the Official Honda Web Site

i saw that but it doesnt really make sense to me. w/e it doesnt affect the car lol

Old 09-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chubbykai
i saw that but it doesnt really make sense to me. w/e it doesnt affect the car lol
It's like pants.

Put on pants that are comfortable. Suck in your stomach so the pants are loose. If you pulled the pants from the front, the back of the pants would hit YOUR back (and in the case of brakes, stay there). Pull the back of your pants and the front hits your front.

Push out your stomach, and that's like the expansion of the brake pads and there is no loose give when pulling on the front or back of the pants.

Luckily, massive holiday meals have no effect on brake pads and we do not have to unbutton the top button of brake caliper pants.

That will be today's bad analogy.

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 09-22-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
LOL thats actually not a bad analogy. you should teach kids as a side job haha

+rep for the effort lmao

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 09 Sport AT Fit is making strange crunching noises.