2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 09 Sport AT Fit is making strange crunching noises.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Anyone have a youtube video? Not that I'd know what to do about it, I'm just curious to see it.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by ASBJUNK
Anyone with this issue having cold start issues meaning, the cam shaft has to turn three four times before engine kicks on?

Like diidiidiivroom, or diidiidiidiivroom?
Did you get a resolution on this? I had the same issue this morning. I've only had the car for a week and a half...

Old 10-06-2009, 09:05 PM
It's just a high-compression engine with no distributor. They all sound like that.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by progeria
Did you get a resolution on this? I had the same issue this morning. I've only had the car for a week and a half...
Read post #15 in this thread, try it, and you should see a marked improvement.

Dan

Old 10-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by chubbykai
has anyone experience a CLICK sound when reversing and then right wen you put it into drive and start gassing it it goes CRLICK? lol
I have the same thing with my car. From R to D and a little gas and it clicks. Or visa verse, only less noise.

And for anyone wanting to reply to "change slower, and wait before gas". No sheeeit.

I am still having issues with cold starts which is getting worse. The issue is not just a couple turns of the cam shaft, it's that the car is starting like it has absolutely no oil, it doesn't start like a new car should. I will be contacting a lemon law attorney this week, ill keep you guys posted.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member
I have the same thing with my car. From R to D and a little gas and it clicks. Or visa verse, only less noise.

And for anyone wanting to reply to "change slower, and wait before gas". No sheeeit.

I am still having issues with cold starts which is getting worse. The issue is not just a couple turns of the cam shaft, it's that the car is starting like it has absolutely no oil, it doesn't start like a new car should. I will be contacting a lemon law attorney this week, ill keep you guys posted.
I would suggest a mechanic instead of a lawyer. Take the damn thing back to Honda and let them have a shot at it. They will likely need to keep it overnight to be able to hear it on a cold start.

When I started mine yesterday it was around freezing I found it started just fine and backed out of drive without any funny noises.

A warm car will start quicker than a cold one.. If you want instant start try an electric one.

Is this your first car?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member

The click was described above as having to do with brakes. I tend to agree, but suspect it's more to do with an adjustment mechanism for the rear drums; other Hondas I've had with 4 wheel disks didn't make this noise. Anyway it's healthy.

On the starting issue, what has your Honda dealer told you? Easiest explanation is a weak battery not turning it over as quickly. A lawyer will ask you how long have you been without use of the car for this problem, and how many times has the dealer tried to fix it. Save your money and get your car serviced.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
The click was described above as having to do with brakes. I tend to agree, but suspect it's more to do with an adjustment mechanism for the rear drums; other Hondas I've had with 4 wheel disks didn't make this noise. Anyway it's healthy.

On the starting issue, what has your Honda dealer told you? Easiest explanation is a weak battery not turning it over as quickly. A lawyer will ask you how long have you been without use of the car for this problem, and how many times has the dealer tried to fix it. Save your money and get your car serviced.
It has nothing to do with a weak battery. When the car is warm it starts up immediately.

An attorney will help in NY if you feel that the value of the car is dram decreased, and that is objective to the owner.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I would suggest a mechanic instead of a lawyer. Take the damn thing back to Honda and let them have a shot at it. They will likely need to keep it overnight to be able to hear it on a cold start.

When I started mine yesterday it was around freezing I found it started just fine and backed out of drive without any funny noises.

A warm car will start quicker than a cold one.. If you want instant start try an electric one.

Is this your first car?
I have owned 4 cars. I had a 10 year old acura integra with 200k miles that started smoother winter 0 degrees and 100 degree summer days. Started smooth every time.

I know in cold it will take longer, but its not the time it takes, its the way it feels when starting. The ignition will turn the cam several times over, then the spark will turn the engine and if I let go of the key immediately it will stall, I have to hold the key until it turns one or twice more. Like there is no oil in the heads. It is hard to describe, I tried to record it will my Canon as a video, but the sound is difficult to pick up while showing the tach.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
I had this same issue with my old 04 Civic LX Coupe.... I took it to the dealer and got the cannot reproduce garbage from them....happened in the cold for the 1st year or so on and off, but then went away for the last 3 years I owned the car.... a couple guys on 7thgencivic had the same problem, maybe its a Honda thing...

Old 10-15-2009, 04:36 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
It has nothing to do with a weak battery. When the car is warm it starts up immediately.

An attorney will help in NY if you feel that the value of the car is dram decreased, and that is objective to the owner.
Pay attention to the italicized text, you haven't told us what the results were on those parts...
------------
New Car Lemon Law Fact Sheet

The New York State New Car Lemon Law provides a legal remedy for consumers who are buyers or lessees of new cars and certain "used" cars that turn out to be "lemons." If a car does not conform to the terms of its written warranty and the manufacturer or its authorized agent is unable to repair the car after a reasonable number of attempts, a consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement.
Cars covered by the law include any car that:
  • Was covered by a warranty at original delivery; AND
  • Was purchased, leased or transferred within the earlier of 18,000 miles or two years from the date of original delivery; AND
  • Was either purchased, leased or transferred in New York State or is presently registered in the state; AND
  • Is used primarily for personal purposes.
Duty to Repair:
A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:
  • Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR
  • The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.
Exceptions when manufacturers may not be required to provide a refund or replacement:
  • The problem does not substantially impair the value of the car to the consumer; OR
  • The problem is a result of abuse, neglect or unauthorized alteration of the car.
What consumers should do if they become aware of a problem with the car:
  • Immediately report any defect or "condition" either directly to the manufacturer or to its authorized dealer. If the consumer reports the problem to the dealer, the law requires the dealer to forward written notice to the manufacturer within seven days.
  • Keep careful records of all complaints and copies of all work orders, repair bills and correspondence.
  • Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at 518-474-8943 if there are problems obtaining repair orders.
Individuals with questions about their rights under the New Car Lemon Law are encouraged to contact the Attorney General's consumer help line at (800) 771-7755 or go to newcarlemon.pdf (PDF)
New York State New Car Lemon Law Consumer Bill of Rights (PDF) | [En Español]
For Adobe PDF files you can download Adobe Reader from Adobe Systems.

New Car Lemon Law Fact Sheet

------------

From what you've said, the car may be slightly sluggish starting. This means you haven't gone without the car at all?

And you haven't taken it in to the Honda dealer yet? Or what?

I'm sure the attorney will be pleased to take any fee, but there is absolutely NOTHING the attorney can do until you have followed the proper steps.

Maybe you posted about the results from the Honda dealer in another thread? ...No, not that I can see, but you have also mentioned the brake system might have bubbles, missed connections on the fuel pump sprocket, the transmission lurching, cold start problems,...none with anything to do with taking the car in to Honda though.

TAKE THE CAR TO HONDA!

Another idea. Check for Fit meets in your area. Uh, and go to one. Ask folks if you can listen to them start up their cars. Seriously!!!

You have mentioned a former car, that didn't do these things. That's because your former car wasn't the same kind of car. What is very odd in one car might be perfectly normal in another. The sound of a starter, or exhaust. The way the car handles, brakes, accelerates.

The old "apples and oranges" comparison doesn't work. Going to the Fit meet might give you a chance to compare apples to other apples. Although their apples might be modified. er...

And you might want to cancel any attorney appointment until after you have fulfilled the requirements of the lemon law, so as not to embarrass yourself.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite

And you might want to cancel any attorney appointment until after you have fulfilled the requirements of the lemon law, so as not to embarrass yourself.
or waste your money when you haven't met the simple requirements for even filing for a lemon law case

Old 10-15-2009, 02:22 PM
my fit doesnt start up right away either, some times i have to hold the key in the start postion for a few seconds then try it again. it normally starts after that but i live in sf and some times its cold but never below 50 at least.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:05 AM
From what you've said, the car may be slightly sluggish starting. This means you haven't gone without the car at all?
The car runs, but it does not start smoothly. This impedes on the value of the car in my eyes. Its embarrassing, when my friends hear it, they call it "The little car that could." Like Thomas the Tank Engine.

And you haven't taken it in to the Honda dealer yet? Or what?
I have several times, and there is documentation.

Another idea. Check for Fit meets in your area. Uh, and go to one. Ask folks if you can listen to them start up their cars. Seriously!!!
No thanks. I purchased the car and I expect the car I buy to be in the same running order as the one I test drive. I'll hire an attorney soon, I spent too much time in honda service centers to spend more time with my ear to someones hood.

You have mentioned a former car, that didn't do these things. That's because your former car wasn't the same kind of car. What is very odd in one car might be perfectly normal in another. The sound of a starter, or exhaust. The way the car handles, brakes, accelerates.
Understandable that every car is different. However, there is a substantial difference between how my car starts and any other new car I have ever been in starts.

I am a longshoreman, I unload new cars as part of my living aside from operating heavy equipment to unload container ships. I know how these cars should start, because I have started dozens of them after 2 weeks on a car ship, and they start smoothly most of the time.

I am fully read on the laws, and I know my rights.

My car has too many problems. A/C blows warm air for a full 2 mins. The air ducts stink like mold, and I keep the car clean. The car pulls hard, out of the showroom to the right, all promises to get that free alignment have gone without anything being done (which might be a clue that the car was damaged, I suspect it might have been in a accident under the 10% mark which allows no paper trail in NY). The lights dimming to almost nothing every time the compressor relay flips.

These may individually sound like small problems, but cumulatively in my opinion substantially degrades the value of the car to me. And the law reads that this is objectively determined by the buyer. And I can honestly say I am thoroughly disappointed and substantially dissatisfied with my purchase to say the least.

Last edited by ASBJUNK; 10-17-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Ahh, very good. Well, not that you've had to spend a lot of time at the dealer, but that you have indeed visited the dealer and the problems are not resolved.

Forgive me, it sounded like you were just griping without substance.

What, if anything, was said when you called Honda? Do you have case numbers for the various problems?

What would the ideal result be? Have them buy back the car? And you would then go out and buy a different kind of car? Or would you consider taking another Fit?

Certainly that specific car may need to go in the dumpster, like the ones during the CARS/Clunker program. LOL! If it has that many problems, and Honda can't fix them for you, they won't be able to fix them for anyone else either.

I did have a lemon myself. I had that car 15 years and every single year, it would die. At least once. I tried several dealerships as well as small mechanics. Nobody could ever fix or even satisfactorily diagnose the problem.

Last time I put in $1,000 to it, to "get it fixed up good", and it died again in nine days. LOL! That darn car!

Nobody else had the problem. No recalls. Nobody knew what was wrong.

It was generally dependable for most of the year until...THE PROBLEM would start up. I have been left stranded at the SPCA on Christmas Eve at night. The last time it died was the day before Christmas Eve, and I walked to the store for Christmas dinner stuff.

THIS car, my FIT, is like a dream come true. It's SO MUCH BETTER and so dependable and reliable and comfortable and much more useful than my old car was.

But my old car was a LEMON with a mystery problem. Not all the VWs have that problem. Nobody would buy that brand if they all had THE PROBLEM that was guaranteed to surprise them and leave them stranded on at least a yearly basis.

Especially if it was an unfixable problem.

Your car should NOT be pulling to any side. That's dangerous.

Maybe take a test drive in another Fit as well as some other cars. If you are going to HAVE to replace this car with another car, you want it to be what you need it to be. What kind are you thinking of?

Old 10-17-2009, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you bought the Fit used. It might well have been in an accident. Trade it on another car: I don't think you would be happy if Honda gave you another, "perfect" copy. The nice thing is the Fit retains its value pretty well. Even if you're upside down on a loan, it's not worth the aggravation for a couple grand. I did this once and never looked back.

Look at Toyota Matrix; it's a similar car with more substance. From what I've read here, Toyota will negotiate a lot on the price (more than Honda does on the Fit).

Old 10-17-2009, 10:56 AM
take a look at the suzuki sx4 as well.