2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird gurgling engine noise and starter noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Weird gurgling engine noise and starter noise

Hey all, pretty new here, just got a 2011 Honda Fit Sport Auto. Everything was great, oil change, air filter change, transmission fluid change, fuel system treatment, spark plug upgrade. Riding nice. Unfortunately there has always been an intermittent starter noise, kind of like https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ase-issue.html but with a high pitched whine. I'll try to get a recording of that soon. But also shortly after doing the fuel system clean, but before I changed the plugs, and the main reason I did, was because a weird noise started coming from my engine. I think maybe its a clogged fuel injector, but I'm not sure, I'd appreciate input. it won't let me upload video, I'll go see if I can record audio. It sounds like it's chugging, but it's running fine. It sounds like it's coming from the intake manifold.
Thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Car.mp3 (317.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 10-06-2018, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
How many miles?

The link you provided for the "starter noise" seems to say that your starter works fine but by the noise at the end on the startup cycle, it doesn't sound like it disengages when you release the key from the start position back the "Run" position. Is that what you're saying?

I have a '11 Sport AT with 73K miles and the starter still works fine. Is it possible that a previous owner abused the starter?

Old 10-06-2018, 04:32 PM
70K. The starter noise has actually stopped, and ironically I think it's the opposite of the cause of the newer Fit, it's cold now.

It is possible the previous owner did abuse it. I'm still getting the sound in the recording, I would more accurately call it a chugging.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:20 PM
Just changed the serpentine belt (unnecessary, belt looked brand new at 71k miles). Discovered a rattle in the AC compressor pulley, and while it was jacked up I listened close while the car was running and I'm pretty sure the noise is that.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
Another weak point in that system is the idler pulley bearing. Can't tell you how many times and in all sorts of vehicles that I've heard that problem.

I think the grease gets spun off or dries out on the ball bearings or whatever is in there because my "fix" has always worked: Spray WD40 on both sides of the idler by its spindle. The WD40 must get in there, "wets" the old grease, that grease moves around, re-lubes everything and it gets quiet. Only had to change one idler pulley so far after it failed to respond to the treatment.

I'd spray some WD40 on both the AC pulley and idler pulley and see if the sound goes away. Doing that never hurt any of my vehicles over the years. Getting some on the belt won't hurt the belt either. The belt throws off the excess (don't be right in line with it when you spray) plus it gets hot and will burn off the rest.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Thanks so much Spike, that got rid of the noise!

Old 10-10-2018, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Geez, thank you. I see the same thing on lawnmower decks that are using a "sealed" bearing too as an idler / belt tensioner. There's this rubber cover and all of the ball bearings / race is behind it but there is a microscopic gap right at the sleeve where you run the bolt through. That gap allows water in and grease stuff out, so I soak it with WD40 or other multi-purpose spray lube and most of the time that light liquid works its way in there and "Happy Days" after that. Now you still have the same gap allowing the same problem to eventually come back, but soaking it with the WD40 gives you many many more miles before you actually have to deal with it. I'd spray some more on and let it sit overnight if you didn't do that already. Don't get excessive and spray it every week / month but once a year can't hurt.