2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme water dampness under the back seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Extreme water dampness under the back seats

Hi Everyone,
I pretty much just got my fit about a month ago. Today while we were getting some stuff from the Home Depot and lifted the rear back seats I noticed mold under one of them, on the lining. I vacuumed the stuff and felt it, it was really wet (Like water was glistening in the light when you press on it). I don't leave anything in my car, no bottles, glasses of any sort so it's not anything that has spilled. It is Florida and it's been raining a heck of alot, I've checked all the windows and they are all shut. I don't know where the water is coming from!!! I'm not sure if I should take it to the dealer to have it checked. I don't know what to do.... any suggestions?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Oh boy. Take it to the dealer. There's a water leak somewhere. Some seal not working right. And I haven't looked into how the water gets to the back window on the hatch, but it comes from somewhere and maybe that part is leaking?

If something is askew, you'll probably have to have the carpet replaced, hopefully under warranty. So, scamper down to the dealer after the long weekend.

Until then, find a covered parking lot, soak up what you can with towels. When driving, use the floor vent setting.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks Taffeta, I was afraid of that. I have been reading some blogs about the fit seals not working right. Unfortunately I have assigned parking and no cover parking at all in my building. I know it's a long shot but I'll take it in tomorrow since it might be a big sales day tomorrow... I love my Fit otherwise but finding this issue occurrence affecting more people than just myself it's upsetting.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
That's the first I've heard of leaking weatherstrips or body seams on a GE Fit. I'd be interested in seeing a link to even one of these "blogs". I'm not doubting the OP's situation, just the additional owners reporting the problem.

Last edited by badself; 07-04-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Let's take a look...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...into-boot.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-fit-jazz.html

Water from around tail lights here on another Honda model, lots of possibilities checked out in this thread, including the washer nozzle!:
Water leak in car?? - Club RSX Message Board

Aaaaand it's another leak, this time on the Pilot:
2005 Honda Pilot Reviews & ratings - Yahoo! Autos

Old 07-04-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks For the links Taffeta, the truth is a simple google search for Honda fit water damage will sofice some naysayers. I don't really feel like I need to prove myself since the problem is happening to me. In fact there are some forum discussions here on fitfreak.com. I'm simply asking a question to other freak owners who are experiencing the same issue, if some don't believe me then that's their issue...

Thanks again

badself, i apologize, I understand you are not doubting... Now hehe. I'm just a bit frustrated and annoyed that my nice new car has MOLD in it...

Thank goodness I found this out now, it was under the backseat mat when I was making use of my nifty folding seats...

Last edited by Firephoenix1980; 07-04-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks to the person who provided the above links. It seems most of those leaks are to GD Fit and other Honda products. Mine's bone dry at the moment.

It could take the dealer several tries to isolate your problem. Make sure you push for a new carpet and backing (if there is one); otherwise, you may have long-term issues with odor and longevity of the already cheap carpet material. If necessary, contact Honda North America and open up a case.

Good luck with the repair and restoration of your car.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Update:

Today I checked the same area where I found the water dampness last time (It basically rained all night) and water still there. I took it in to the dealer for the 2nd time and as last time they kept saying there's nothing we can find... however, they will replace weather stripping on the left read side door on Wednesday just to make sure and then I guess I'll take it from there.

I know I'm not crazy, hehe, water's got to be coming in from somewhere... the odd thing is that the left rear floor is the only section that is being affected but no water trails can be found...

Old 08-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Status Update

Hello,
Here's an update on the issue that's been haunting me for a while now. After writing a letter to Honda corporate on July 26 the weather stripping and my carpet was replaced just a couple of weeks ago. Fast forward to yesterday, August 15 and the water is back after a long hard rainy day. I have had the issue looked at and 3 repair attempts have been made without any resolution.
Brand new replaced carpet has gotten water accumulation and pretty sure mold will follow like last time.

In my communications with Honda corporate, it still seems like this issue is only happening to my specific car and no other Honda Fits. I'm posting the following photos for anyone to know what to look for if this might be happening to you. I will start the lemon law process within the next week and will update on that.

Rear Left Door
Under the left rear door. Water clearly visible.

Rear Left Door
Water accumulates on the weather strip around the inside of the door seal.

Rear Left Door
Water accumulates under the passenger left seat. Carpet wet spot clearly visible while pressing down on carpet. Water track visible running down from plastic molding.

Rear Left Door
Water accumulates under the passenger left seat. Carpet wet spot clearly visible. Water track visible running down from plastic molding.

There's more images here if interested in seeing more...

Old 08-16-2009, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Firephoenix1980
Hello,
Here's an update on the issue that's been haunting me for a while now. After writing a letter to Honda corporate on July 26 the weather stripping and my carpet was replaced just a couple of weeks ago. Fast forward to yesterday, August 15 and the water is back after a long hard rainy day. I have had the issue looked at and 3 repair attempts have been made without any resolution.
Brand new replaced carpet has gotten water accumulation and pretty sure mold will follow like last time.

In my communications with Honda corporate, it still seems like this issue is only happening to my specific car and no other Honda Fits. I'm posting the following photos for anyone to know what to look for if this might be happening to you. I will start the lemon law process within the next week and will update on that.

Rear Left Door
Under the left rear door. Water clearly visible.

There's more images here if interested in seeing more...
There shouldn't be ANY water below that inside panel as shown on your photos. Not like that. It looks more like the water is coming in through the window, and not draining properly or not being blocked off properly. So that it's running down the inside of the door and door panel and into your car.

If it was the door seal, it would show on the glass, if it was rain coming from above. It would take a mighty big storm (like time to build an ark) to blow water into the cracks and crevices and then overcome the door seal. Or it has to come in from the top, dribble down the door seal and then make it's way inland...but that wouldn't account for the water just below the interior plastic panel.

Did they do the window weather stripping, where the window slides down into the door?

You might be able to check this out at home, via a plant watering bucket thing. Dry off the underside of the door and that weather stripping. Then very slowly pour water from the plant thing (the kind with the spout) onto the area where the window meets the weather stripping, I mean very slowly. Not a big gush.

Check and recheck that edge of the panel next to the door. If it's coming in via that panel, then it's a WINDOW problem, not the door.

And if everyone has been focused on the DOOR without looking at the window spots, right there at the base of the window, that could be the problem.

I hope that's it. It would be relatively easy to fix. I have a lot of noise with my back left window. I still have to take it into the dealership to repair. It's like it's squishing and squeaking and struggling against the weather stripping somewhere. Something I didn't even notice until having the car for months, because I didn't use the back windows.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
There shouldn't be ANY water below that inside panel as shown on your photos. Not like that. It looks more like the water is coming in through the window, and not draining properly or not being blocked off properly. So that it's running down the inside of the door and door panel and into your car.

If it was the door seal, it would show on the glass, if it was rain coming from above. It would take a mighty big storm (like time to build an ark) to blow water into the cracks and crevices and then overcome the door seal. Or it has to come in from the top, dribble down the door seal and then make it's way inland...but that wouldn't account for the water just below the interior plastic panel.

Did they do the window weather stripping, where the window slides down into the door?

You might be able to check this out at home, via a plant watering bucket thing. Dry off the underside of the door and that weather stripping. Then very slowly pour water from the plant thing (the kind with the spout) onto the area where the window meets the weather stripping, I mean very slowly. Not a big gush.

Check and recheck that edge of the panel next to the door. If it's coming in via that panel, then it's a WINDOW problem, not the door.

And if everyone has been focused on the DOOR without looking at the window spots, right there at the base of the window, that could be the problem.

I hope that's it. It would be relatively easy to fix. I have a lot of noise with my back left window. I still have to take it into the dealership to repair. It's like it's squishing and squeaking and struggling against the weather stripping somewhere. Something I didn't even notice until having the car for months, because I didn't use the back windows.
Thank You TaffetaWhite,
I did exactly as you directed and you are absolutely correct! The water seems to be going in through where the window glass meets with the rubber stripping, specifically on the rear corner. I assume those gaps are normal but there's something inside the door that is making the water leak into the car instead of just draining to the outside. Thanks.

Now I'm foreseeing some "BUT"s from the dealership service dept as I have so far, "well, of course water will leak into the car if your pouring water into specific areas...." but we'll see... I so just want to get this issue resolved so I can thoroughly enjoy my little fit...

Old 08-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Thumbs up

TW...you need to earn an award of some sort around here Hands down the most informative member...from CARS to leaks to 0-60, you are the most balanced, respectful and informative of the lot. You obviously like (even love perhaps?? ) your Fit and have no problem sharing what you've learned about it in a positive manner. Keep it up...

Old 08-16-2009, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Thank You TaffetaWhite,
I did exactly as you directed and you are absolutely correct! The water seems to be going in through where the window glass meets with the rubber stripping, specifically on the rear corner. I assume those gaps are normal but there's something inside the door that is making the water leak into the car instead of just draining to the outside. Thanks.

Now I'm foreseeing some "BUT"s from the dealership service dept as I have so far, "well, of course water will leak into the car if your pouring water into specific areas...." but we'll see... I so just want to get this issue resolved so I can thoroughly enjoy my little fit...
Woo hoo!

Most excellent news!

All you're doing with the plant water jug is speeding up the timing, but if your car was left out in the rain, it's the same thing. Just one drop at a time on the window here and one there and many more drops all over the window adds up to many drops on the seal, all of which may be running down in a stream to that one opening.

It's good news for you, AND it's actually good news for the dealership and Honda. Because IF this happens to anyone else, they know what to check first. Is it by the panel? If so, check the window seal!

You know, it's like beta testing software. It's GOOD to find the flaws, because then they can be fixed or addressed or BOLOed (Be On the Look Out for). Maybe your seal issue will make it into a service advice memo thingie! That's something to be proud of, really. It could save a whole lot of people a whole lot of trouble if they know where to look first!

It's thanks to your excellent photos that I was able to guess! Without the photos, I would have been clueless.

Let the dealer/service people save face too, because they might not have picked up the water next to the panel and you might not have pointed that part out specifically. So if they say "Well, if you'd told us THAT, we'd KNOW what to do", let them do that.

Keep us updated on the progress.

And remember, your neighbors think you're watering the car...

"There's that FirePhoenix out there watering the car again..."

Old 08-16-2009, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Malice101
TW...you need to earn an award of some sort around here Hands down the most informative member...from CARS to leaks to 0-60, you are the most balanced, respectful and informative of the lot. You obviously like (even love perhaps?? ) your Fit and have no problem sharing what you've learned about it in a positive manner. Keep it up...
Awww, thank you!

I don't really know anything, but don't tell anyone. I like looking things up and retain bits of what I've read.

I don't know ANYTHING AT ALL about wheels and tires and tint and stereos and so much more, that many people focus on here. I don't know all the history...there is so much I don't know that I don't know how much I don't know.

However, there are people here that DO know about all kinds of things. And I think that makes for a good community. Especially when each person chooses and embraces their own specialty. If you asked ME about lowering your car, I'd have to suggest a big trip to Costco.

I'm here as long as I'm welcome, and as long as there are good people and good topics for everyone's conversation. I also really like that moderators here are on the ball, and shut down spammers and topics out of control to make this a NICE place for EVERYONE.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I didn't see any mention of the door panel being removed to check that the plastic water barrier has a good seal? Surely the dealer has already done a panel off leak test but thats a common source for water leaks and your pics look like the water is coming in from behind the panel and working it's way down. Water barrier would be my prime suspect. The window scraper moldings deflect the majority of the water but the if the plastic water barrier has a gap (especially on the bottom) you'll have water getting in from behind the panel. Good luck, Hope you get it sorted out...

Old 08-16-2009, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Also, check to be sure that the door drains are open and draining like they should. Some water will always get past the window seals, but it should drain out through the door drains. If the car has been rustproofed, the drains may have become blocked.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
I guess its also worth asking how are you parking your car. I have a mildly sloped driveway and I noticed that if I reverse in my spot, all my cars will accumulate some water (rear doors and trunk) if theres heavy rains. If I pull straight in, I don't have those problems.

(once I figured that out, I stopped reversing into my driveway, haven't tried it with the fit so I don't know if it happens with that car or not.)

Old 08-18-2009, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bensenvill
I guess its also worth asking how are you parking your car. I have a mildly sloped driveway and I noticed that if I reverse in my spot, all my cars will accumulate some water (rear doors and trunk) if theres heavy rains. If I pull straight in, I don't have those problems.

(once I figured that out, I stopped reversing into my driveway, haven't tried it with the fit so I don't know if it happens with that car or not.)
That's a good point to make! There are some pretty serious driveway slopes and hills here in San Francisco. I'm sure those things aren't limited to this area either. Ha!

It could make a huge difference on water draining, and rust potential if the car is nose-up, nose-down, sideways, or even on a flat surface.

After going to the spray car wash, I have all kinds of water drops on the body before the seals on the outside in the niches of the doors and hatch. I park flat. Being on any slope would force the water one way or another, where it might pool. Do that enough years, and there could be a rust problem.

Don't forget to wax those areas where you see water accumulation. The little hidden droplets. Nu-Finish works pretty good for those areas. I don't know how people feel about that product here.

I'm glad some folks know more about the insides of the door too, I don't know anything about rust-proofing and drain holes and plastic stuff inside doors. I only know there IS an inside to the door. LOL!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Woo hoo!

Most excellent news!

All you're doing with the plant water jug is speeding up the timing, but if your car was left out in the rain, it's the same thing. Just one drop at a time on the window here and one there and many more drops all over the window adds up to many drops on the seal, all of which may be running down in a stream to that one opening.

It's good news for you, AND it's actually good news for the dealership and Honda. Because IF this happens to anyone else, they know what to check first. Is it by the panel? If so, check the window seal!

You know, it's like beta testing software. It's GOOD to find the flaws, because then they can be fixed or addressed or BOLOed (Be On the Look Out for). Maybe your seal issue will make it into a service advice memo thingie! That's something to be proud of, really. It could save a whole lot of people a whole lot of trouble if they know where to look first!

It's thanks to your excellent photos that I was able to guess! Without the photos, I would have been clueless.

Let the dealer/service people save face too, because they might not have picked up the water next to the panel and you might not have pointed that part out specifically. So if they say "Well, if you'd told us THAT, we'd KNOW what to do", let them do that.

Keep us updated on the progress.

And remember, your neighbors think you're watering the car...

"There's that FirePhoenix out there watering the car again..."

HAHA, that's funny, specially since I live at a condominium LOL

Here are some good news, I took the car in to the service department today and showed them print outs of the photos. I also asked for them to pay extra close attention to the inside panel and where the water was coming into the car.

I have my car back and they said there was a "plastic sealing sheet" not properly caulked so they recaulked it and dried my carpet (and got my car detailed). Crossing my fingers this would be the end of it! It looks like it might rain tonight so we'll see. Just telling myself, "it's not going to leak, it's not going to leak..."

Thank you so much TW for your suggestion! If this works, it's all thanks to you.

The dealership was very nice this time around since I think they found the problem were before they might have thought I was a bit looney...

Oh, and I think somebody asked here about where I actually park my car.. well, I live in a condo and I have an assigned parking space. It's not covered and it's pretty much open. There are no slopes since I live in boring South Florida where all the roads are flat... (And obviously rains too much..)

I'm happy so far, I was getting kinda sad to think I might have to return my Fit, I kinda get attached to my cars... believe me, trading them in is no picnic for me... ahh the memories...

Old 08-18-2009, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
HAHA, that's funny, specially since I live at a condominium LOL

Here are some good news, I took the car in to the service department today and showed them print outs of the photos. I also asked for them to pay extra close attention to the inside panel and where the water was coming into the car.

I have my car back and they said there was a "plastic sealing sheet" not properly caulked so they recaulked it and dried my carpet (and got my car detailed). Crossing my fingers this would be the end of it! It looks like it might rain tonight so we'll see. Just telling myself, "it's not going to leak, it's not going to leak..."

Thank you so much TW for your suggestion! If this works, it's all thanks to you.

The dealership was very nice this time around since I think they found the problem were before they might have thought I was a bit looney...

Oh, and I think somebody asked here about where I actually park my car.. well, I live in a condo and I have an assigned parking space. It's not covered and it's pretty much open. There are no slopes since I live in boring South Florida where all the roads are flat... (And obviously rains too much..)

I'm happy so far, I was getting kinda sad to think I might have to return my Fit, I kinda get attached to my cars... believe me, trading them in is no picnic for me... ahh the memories...
Very good news! JimBob was right about the interior plastic thing not being sealed! Cool!

It's always good to find a logical explanation as to why something happens.

Now you can enjoy your car!

Quick Reply: Extreme water dampness under the back seats