2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme water dampness under the back seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:33 AM
I have the same problem and posted my problem at fitfreak. Here's the link to my original posting: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...et-carpet.html. I brought my car to the dealer but they told me my warranty has expired and it would cost me almost $100 for them to take a look at it. Needless to say, everytime it rains here I have to vacuum out the water.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:12 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITSutra
I have the same problem and posted my problem at fitfreak. Here's the link to my original posting: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...et-carpet.html. I brought my car to the dealer but they told me my warranty has expired and it would cost me almost $100 for them to take a look at it. Needless to say, everytime it rains here I have to vacuum out the water.
Did you try the test, you don't have to have the door closed to see if it's coming in via that door panel. No need to get anymore water inside.

The only reason I made the suggestions I did was because of the excellent photos showing close-ups of that door area. That made all the difference in the world.

If your problem is similar, I would think it would not be especially expensive to repair.

Not that I've seen the inside of the door, but folks here have mentioned some kind of plastic water proofing thing that is caulked on??? And looking at the page of parts at Bernardi for 2008 (I wasn't sure of the year of your car), in the Body section, for the back doors, there are several seals mentioned. None are over $40.00 (their prices).

If you try out the pouring of water on the window, and water does come out on the panel, it should be fairly easy and cheap to have them fix. Just my guess, I'm not a mechanic.

It helps if you can tell them where the water is coming out, because then they know where to look and what to fix. As you can see from FirePhoenix's problems, they didn't LOOK inside the door, they only looked at the door surround weatherstripping.

Then they don't spend that precious and costly labor hour time looking at YOUR door surround weatherstripping. They can go right to work on the problem, saving time and money for you.

FirePhoenix did a fabulous job with the photos, documenting everything. JimBob specifically mentioned the water barrier on the inside of the door. And Uncle Gary mentioned drain hole clogging.

You really do want to have that fixed if possible. Let us know how it turns out!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I have the puddle of water on rubber mat in left rear floorwell after some rain. I noticed the weather stripping at the top of door towards the front is wet on the INSIDE. This is over the wet spot. So rather than coming through the interior of door I suspect it it the top.

I was at Honda this morning and service rep took a look. The top of the door can be pushed in ever so slightly when you press on it. He thinks may have to adjust door. I am taking it in next Wed. I will post results.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Water 100% gets inside every fit door. When I put my speakers in, the inside of the doors were very wet and the stock speakers were covered with water on all four doors.

I don't get wet carpet though, and I installed foam waterproof baffles on the new speakers I put in my car to keep the speakers dry.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm glad I found this thread. I have a 07 Fit (base) and I've been experiencing the same or a similar water leak problem since I owned it new! I never realized until this past August that the driver side rear floor was soaked after rain.

I took it to my dealer after I realized that there is a puddle on the floor! Not knowing what the problem is, the Honda mechanic seemingly repaired it. My guess was that water was coming in from the driver's side rear window due to bad sealing. After I got my car back, another long rain day came. It's wet again!

I took it again and the Honda tried again to seal it (only the same door). I left it overnight. I got it back again. Another rain came, and it still leaks.

I read others' posts here and found out that water is flowing into the backseat (only the driver's side) from the trunk!? I lifted the floor mat of the trunk. I saw some water in the space where the spare tire is stored. But the trunk floor carpet is sort of wet, and there's clearly a sign that water is leaking. I looked everywhere but cannot tell where it's coming from. I cannot find any crack on the roof-end sealing.

I really hate to take it back to the dealer because they don't seem to understand this is a common problem. I paid for the first fix attempt (over $100). What can I do now? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
I did the water test for my Fit, as I noticed a water inside the spare tire well (like on my 79 Supra when it was 13 years old
I removed driver side inner finish panel, closed the back door an began to hose the back of the car with water.
The rear quarter glass panels, antenna and tailight gaskets are not leaking;the water was getting in from the panel spot weld seams around the rear door opening at the "glass" level.
after I peeld the rear opening weatherstrip I noticed the openings between the mating panels (very unusual as this flange is "solid on most cars) which I sealed with urethane and used the rest of left over sealant to glue the weatherstripping to the flange around the upper part of the door opening: if this will not work the new weatherstriping $50 + S&H will be oredered to take care of this problem for another 3 years.
It is still cheaper then pay $100 to the dumb dealer.

Last edited by doctor J; 02-14-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Bumping up this old thread, because I STILL use the images FirePhoenix took as an example of water leaking into the car from within the door.

Those photos can be used to diagnose the problem in ANY car or truck, as can the test I suggested at the time.

It's definitely a thread worth bookmarking, or even making into a sticky, because it's SO useful. For anyone.