2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GE Custom Turbo Kit. Inputs needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
GE Custom Turbo Kit. Inputs needed

I went to a shop today and they want to start developing a full complete plug/bolt on turbo kit for a more than fair price. If they can see that there is a demand for it they will than hand mass produce it.

I will be posting up pictures of their work here soon.

He wanted to know what the fit community is looking for when it comes to this besides the being complete, bolt on, and turn key.

THey are devleoping a turbo kit for the civic si that will push rouhgly 350-400whp.

I mention to him there are a few turbo fits (GD) that are pushing from 220-240ish.

Again any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
1. Well-matched to the engine flow characteristics so as not to negatively change the shape of the power or torque curves
2. Reliable, preferably oil and water cooled, ball-bearing type
3. A choice of BOV flanges pre-welded in
4. High quality couplings with T-bolt clamps
5. Smart engine management (ie. no adjustable FPR please)
6. A new oil pan with an oil return bung pre-welded in

A lot of that will drive up cost unfortunately, so I don't know if the market exists. One thing that should bring cost down a bit though is that the exhaust manifold design should be more simple than traditional manifolds.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:17 PM
i love college
i'd like to know a gd turbo kit that puts you over 180.. lol

Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Low cost
Reliable
Little part as possible (simple)
Low gain (30hp)
Hp over torque (minimize torque steer)
No cutting (reversible back to factory state)

Old 07-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
gt47 turbo
k20
drag tires

Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dewthedew
gt47 turbo
k20 in the back
awd
which k20?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hanzo
Low cost
Reliable
Little part as possible (simple)
Low gain (30hp)
Hp over torque (minimize torque steer)
No cutting (reversible back to factory state)

X2 on this but maybe a little more HP

Old 07-15-2009, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
For sure this shop wants to run a ball bearing turbo. They make high horsepower hondas. Their RSX is a little over 800whp. to them its no point if its only like an extra 30whp. might as well just do full bolt ons.

the manifold will probably be a log type (cut down cost) they may want to do an upgrade version of turbo kit. including a full fuel return, injectors, etc.

They use Hargett Clamps on a lot of their set up such as my other vehicle that is being worked on but those damn clamps are like 150 a piece. But they are trying to find the best cost effective way of doing a turbo kit for the new fit without cutting corners and making sure its what the general population wants for their cars.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 PM
im all up for a turbo kit... would it be available for manuals only or autos as well?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
my car is an auto so for sure it will have to fit mine lol. But I dont see why it wouldnt fit a manuel as well. they might need a manuel as well. From what ive seen on the GD i know the manuel holds a lot more power than the automatic.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by I<3_myfit
For sure this shop wants to run a ball bearing turbo. They make high horsepower hondas. Their RSX is a little over 800whp. to them its no point if its only like an extra 30whp. might as well just do full bolt ons.

the manifold will probably be a log type (cut down cost) they may want to do an upgrade version of turbo kit. including a full fuel return, injectors, etc.

They use Hargett Clamps on a lot of their set up such as my other vehicle that is being worked on but those damn clamps are like 150 a piece. But they are trying to find the best cost effective way of doing a turbo kit for the new fit without cutting corners and making sure its what the general population wants for their cars.
First thing is you do know that the stock exhaust manifold is integrated with the head right. They will not be able to make a manifold to bolt up to the head. I would think the best bet is to do a remote mount turbo. To me I don't see there being a cost effective way of doing it. Hope I'm wrong though.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I'd totally be in for a turbo kit, with the following stipulations:

1) $2,000 or under... for a $16k car, it just doesn't make sense to spend $5k on a turbo kit.
2) COMPLETE bolt on installation... meaning it's a 100% complete kit... with stuff like clear directions and nuts and bolts and all the stuff that makes it run right. And 100% bolt-on, like people can do it with regular tools
3) For god's sake... this car doesn't need 10psi or 200whp, nor would it help longevity... and it would open up a huge can of worms. Make the thing hit 140 - 150whp and you'd have more than enough fun with this car

This car really needs a good set of brakes with the stock HP, so if they can design a custom turbo setup have them fabricate up a low-buck rear disk brake setup too!

I come from the Subaru world and have been nuts deep in turbos for the past few years, and have also owned a supercharged 99 Civic Si. The Si was a lot of fun, and the Jackson supercharger kit was perfect to install and run... I have seen some BAD 'custom turbo kits' over the years, so I don't want to say I'm skeptical... but I am cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by tobey457; 07-15-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tobey457
I'd totally be in for a turbo kit, with the following stipulations:

1) $2,000 or under... for a $16k car, it just doesn't make sense to spend $5k on a turbo kit.
2) COMPLETE bolt on installation... meaning it's a 100% complete kit... with stuff like clear directions and nuts and bolts and all the stuff that makes it run right. And 100% bolt-on, like people can do it with regular tools
3) For god's sake... this car doesn't need 10psi or 200whp, nor would it help longevity... and it would open up a huge can of worms. Make the thing hit 140 - 150whp and you'd have more than enough fun with this car

This car really needs a good set of brakes with the stock HP, so if they can design a custom turbo setup have them fabricate up a low-buck rear disk brake setup too!

I come from the Subaru world and have been nuts deep in turbos for the past few years, and have also owned a supercharged 99 Civic Si. The Si was a lot of fun, and the Jackson supercharger kit was perfect to install and run... I have seen some BAD 'custom turbo kits' over the years, so I don't want to say I'm skeptical... but I am cautiously optimistic.
Cheap, Fast, Reliable... pick two.

BTW, rear disc brakes aren't going to help you much. Disc > drum because they cool faster, and therefore more resistant to fade. If you then increase the stopping power of the disc setup (by making it bigger) then you introduce rear bias. So you'll need to design a complete front and rear system to keep it balanced. Instead of cheap/fast/reliable here it's cheap/safe/powerful... pick two.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by I<3_myfit

$150 clamps would be more than ridiculous for a Fit.

If they're going for what the general population wants then I won't get my hopes up, because it'll be cheap.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
All i'm saying is they can do what ever to push cost down. on my other car(track/race/show) I'm using those clamps. Hmm since the head is intergrated I'll be sure to bring that up to them. THey had 8 cars in the shop and didnt have the time to look at my car. So I brought the idea up and to see if they would be interested. All they said was see what people on the forum want and we will sit down and build around it.

Also about is the head intergrated on the older fits? With school and 2 jobs I dont time to research if there are some links you can post/pm that would be great

Thank you guys for your inputs I'll be forwarding it to him on monday

Old 07-16-2009, 02:55 AM
At least 200HP =]

Old 07-16-2009, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
which turbo kits for the gd make 220-240 hp? none that i know of.

honestly, as long as you can hit 120whp+ your fit turns into real fun. low psi, and at least that should be all ge owners need.

our cars are all about the handling, not straight line acceleration. f.i. just gives them a little kick is all.

and the m/t doesnt 'hold' more power, it just has less drivetrain loss compared to the automatic.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
I guess my comment about "low gain" is having a turbo kit that has drivability. I don't want massive power with massive turbo lag and massive torque steer. Good drivability is very important. Don't want a dyno queen/drag car.

Last edited by hanzo; 07-16-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hanzo
I guess my comment about "low gain" is having a turbo kit that has drivability. I don't want massive power with massive turbo lag and massive torque steer. Good drivability is very important. Don't want a dyno queen/drag car.

very true, and i totally agree. the problem with honda 'tuning' is that we have come to expect a ton of horspower, given what honda engines 'can' do. mind you daily driveability is a term that i used very loosely with some honda tuners: to them it means that THEY drive the car everyday. doesn't make it a good dd imo.

having a hp goal is one thing, but its more important to realize how much MORE power you are making over stock. if the ge8's losses are about the same as the gd's, 130whp would go a LONG way. thats like having a 155hp fit. who wouldn't want that?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:37 PM
150+ hp in a fit, weighing in at only 2450 lbs would be amazing! especially all the way to 200+ hp. i have a stock 09 sport, and the upgraded suspension makes a nice ride already, n if u need a lil better, theres minor upgrades for cheap to fix tht. brakes are already amazing, ive had plenty of 'near miss' moments and never had any problems stopping it, its a featherweight already.
aslo, making this turbo either full bolt/snap on with as little a fabbing as possible would definately sell, especially to the average owner whos willing to spend the money and time but doesnt have the tools.
but yea, definately dont let the drivability and overall handling fly out of the window. you gotta think TUNER not so much MUSCLE. thts my opinion anyway.

Quick Reply: GE Custom Turbo Kit. Inputs needed