2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Tinting my Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:08 AM
Tinting my Fit

So I decided I want to tint my '09 Fit Sport Storm Silver Metallic and I have a few questions, I appreciated any help.

First, a friend said that tint will void the Honda/manufacturer warranty, is that true? This is my main concern.

Second, I was thinking about 20% on the rear driver and passenger sides and rear and 35% on the driver and passenger side front, what do you think?

Third, what do we think about 3M? The place I was thinking about going uses 3M products.

Finally, is $269.00 plus tax too much for tint?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2009, 04:19 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
How will tint void your warranty? Is that a serious question?

Whatever you want. Theres a tint thread so you can see pictures.

No experience with 3M products. I paid $250 for all my windows using formula one pinnacle tint. 15% all around.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
I paid $339 Cdn. That included 10% off for being old. My rear and rear sides dark
enuf cannot see anything in the back.

The shop I used does work for my dealer, so if anything the dealer just lost their cut.
Name:  100_6672.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  Fit.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  82.3 KB
Name:  100_6671.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  34.7 KB

Last edited by Black3sr; 07-23-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:33 AM
qbmurderer13: How will tint void your warranty? Is that a serious question?

Yeah, this is a serious question, a friend of mine said that it voided his warranty when he tinted his car. I am going to call my dealer. I'll post what the dealer says. I rather be safe than sorry. Besides, if I find out later that it does and I need warranty work done, I'd rather not have to peel the tint off and have to pay to have it retinted.

Last edited by 09hondafit; 07-23-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Tint will not void your warranty. Tint will not affect how the car performs.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:53 AM
I know that it sounds stupid, why/how could tint void the warranty, it doesn't sound plausible. I'd rather check twice and tint once, so I'm still going to contact the dealer and ask. And I'll post what they say incase anyone else has this question. If I am going to spend almost $300 I'm going to make sure it's not a waste.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ive never heard of manufacturers voiding warranties for tint.

darker tint on the front and front sdie windows can be illegal so check with your state.

i paid much less to get the rear side windows and rear glass tinted... so shop around. 3M is fine. they used ONYX(?) metallized tint on mine that is suppose to last a life time without fading.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Besides all this...the dealer CANNOT void your warranty based on tint. The Magunsson-Moss Act (not sure if I spelled that wrong) says the dealer can only void a warranty on a particular part if a modification CAUSED a problem on that part...like, ok so say you wired in some new fogs and such and then all the sudden your electrical system is flipping out.

I can't imagine anything that they would be able to void for window tint...unless suddenly your windows stopped working...at which point, I'd be going back to the tint shop anyways as it would obviously be their fault.

Here is a wiki link to the info on the act...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 07-23-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Heh, I paid 225 CAD, cash, for the tint on my car, but it was only the back 5, none on the front since that's illegal here (though many people still do it).

I suggest looking around for some local tint shops. You should be able to get it cheaper.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
First off...think twice about tint...
Welcome to TintLaws.com
Checking around a bit more PA (no offense here but it's just the truth apparently) officers, judges and anyone who enforces and creates rules of the road in PA are idiots. Going off of a few more google links PA doesn't allows tint as long as the interior of the vehicle is visible from the outside...that's perty obscure in it's own world considering I can see through my 5%...can sorta take that as being no tint, yet it never states a specific percentage... but in the second statement tint is allowed as long as it follows federal standards.

The applicable PA Law or Statute is TITLE 75 of PA STATUTES - 4524 (e)(1) - This is the LAW passed by our legislators and it does NOT prohibit tint unless it "does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle."

The Statute is clarrified in PA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE TITLE 67 - CHAPTER 175.67 (d)(4) where some tint is prohibited, but NOT tinting "otherwise permitted by FMVSS No. 205".

PA Window Tinting Law, Statutes, and Regulations

there's quite a bit of info on this. Best thing to do I guess is go to the DMV or something and ask them straight up before getting your tint...unless you don't mind the chance of getting pulled over for it or getting a nice bonus on another ticket.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
yah, plus tint can appear darker at night. lol

werd...

Old 07-23-2009, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
yea, PA seems perty ghey when it comes to tint.n if they say 70%...doesn't even pay to get it done :/

Old 07-23-2009, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
especially werd since factory tint is like 30% and you can't see inside an Odyesse or any minivan/suv all that well.

and at night you wont be able to see inside...

Old 07-23-2009, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
I live in PA. A factory tint is exempt. I had an 2006 RAV4 and the rear window,an rear side windows had 15% from factory,and you could barely see inside. It is very rare to even see any new car sold here with front side windows,and windshields tinted. Not even the Governors Limo. Front windows and windshields can not be tinted, except for solar glass{barely tinted green}. I know there are tons of cars out there that are,but so far they have gotten away with it. If you tint in Pa,and when we have to get our cars inspected,and depending on how strict your inspector is,it will not pass inspection. Most that tint here do it themselves,remove when getting inspected,and re-install afterwards. The Cops won't just stop you with tint,but get in an accident or traffic violation,they most likely will fine you then. Pa has always been tougher on Mods then other states. Can't answer why. I know,I used to inspect cars here for a living.

PaFitter

Old 07-23-2009, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
I paid only $129 for my tint. I got only the rear 5 windows (the "legal ones" as my tint shop put it), because Illinois doesn't allow any tint on the windshield (except for the top 6") or the windows on the driver's or front passenger's doors. There are no restrictions for tint on the remaining windows (you could legally cover them with black contact paper if you wanted), but I went with 20%. I see lots of people driving around with obvious tint on their front windows--and even windshields--but I won't run the risk.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
No experience with 3M products. I paid $250 for all my windows using formula one pinnacle tint. 15% all around.

That's because you're in Florida, where there's a tint shop on every corner.

Here in Maryland, it's a different story. No Formula 1 dealers here, nearest dealer was VA or DE, and I had to pay a cool c-note more than you did for Pinnacle (and the installing dealer sucked ass).

Anyway, the product itself is very good. Huper Optik is the best for reflecting heat, but the stuff is a lot thicker, so the installer has to be near-expert for a good job. Pinnacle looks closest to factory tint, especially if micro-edged.

Tell your friend he/she is a moron for suggesting that tint voids warranty.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 AM
There is a potential warranty issue with window tint. If there is any binding due to improper installation or thickness of the tint material it can put excessive strain on the window motors. My dealer says that they would not raise the window tint as an issue in the event of a motor failure unless the tint install was really shoddy. However, your mileage may vary.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm getting all my windows done this weekend for 280.

It seems like a lot, however it's a lifetime national warranty against fading/bubbling/discoloration of any kind... etc... It blocks 50-60% of the heat coming in.

So you get what you pay for definitely. I'd rather pay once and cry once.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
I notice you're not in Florida where $280 buys you high end ceramic tint such as Huper Optix or Formula 1 Pinnacle; however, at that price point you should be getting a quality product. You failed to mention exactly what you're getting. Aside from quality work, that's the major consideration in determining if you're actually getting your money's worth.

I first bought the Fit with no intention of tinting the windows but a few days with the fishbowl effect and the marginal a/c output made me decide it's a necessity. Since you're only looking to pay once (understandably), I'd stick with legal limits for your state. I went with Formula 1 Pinnacle 35% all around including a windshield strip. It looks like factory smoke during the day and slightly darker at night.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 PM
just figured I'd post this...its a nice reference to state requirements of tint.

I went with 35% all around no problems with mine so far...

http://www.ziebart.com/pdfs/State_Tinting_Laws.pdf

Quick Reply: Tinting my Fit