2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navi w/ VSA a $3400 option, not $1800

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Navi w/ VSA a $3400 option, not $1800

Greetings,

I hope I don't alienate too many people with this one.. but this detail keeps bothering me. Everybody keeps referencing Navi with VSA as being an $1800 option. However, it's not.. it's really a $3400 option.

Sure, the Navi VSA Sport is approximately $1800 than the base sport, but the Navi with VSA sport is approximately $3400 more than the base fit.

Some of us don't care about the sport body styling or the fancy wheels of the Sport, and heck, it even gets worse gas mileage (by the sticker, at least) than the base model. Sure, I wouldn't mind the map lights, or the cruise control, or for that matter the audio controls... but it's the VSA that I really want, and I couldn't justify stepping up to the Sport just to get it; on the other hand, if it was just a $1000 or so option ontop of the Base Fit, I would have definitely gone for it. People shouldn't need to spend $3400 just to get OEM cruise control, steering wheel mounted audio controls, map lights, or VSA.

Please consider the $3400 when referencing the VSA, etc. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
The sport comes with map lights and cruise control. Amongst other things. Just because you dont care about the styling doesnt mean other people dont. The base is ugly, comes with steelies, grey headlights, no rear spoiler, no foglights, no USB jack, etc... I dont care for VSA.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
The sport comes with map lights and cruise control. Amongst other things. Just because you dont care about the styling doesnt mean other people dont. The base is ugly, comes with steelies, grey headlights, no rear spoiler, no foglights, no USB jack, etc... I dont care for VSA.
or the rougher ride

Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Yes. But you can get the foglights & usb jack as an option on the base. You can easily replace your wheels with any kind you like, I assume it's not too difficult to change out the headlights. I also think it's probably fairly easy to add the map lights. As far as cruise control, while the convenient steering wheel controls might not be available, there are usually a number of aftermarket cruise control options for vehicles.

_You_ may not care about VSA or Navi -- but it seems that the people _discussing_ it are bemoaning the fact that it's only available as part of a $1800 package option (ontop of the sport) or as I'm trying to point out, a $3400 'package' ontop of the base that includes things that one shouldn't need to order to get the features you want.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by interestingstuff
Yes. But you can get the foglights & usb jack as an option on the base. You can easily replace your wheels with any kind you like, I assume it's not too difficult to change out the headlights. I also think it's probably fairly easy to add the map lights. As far as cruise control, while the convenient steering wheel controls might not be available, there are usually a number of aftermarket cruise control options for vehicles.

If your going to spend all that money doing that you will most likely exceed the cost of a sport.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
If your going to spend all that money doing that you will most likely exceed the cost of a sport.
Wow, read into things much?

I never said people shouldn't get the sport IF thats's what _they_ WANT.

I just was pointing out that for everybody bemoaning the need to spend $1800 because they want VSA... (or other features.. like the steering wheel audio controls) should consider that people really need to spend $3400 to get to that point.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by interestingstuff
Wow, read into things much?

I never said people shouldn't get the sport IF thats's what _they_ WANT.

I just was pointing out that for everybody bemoaning the need to spend $1800 because they want VSA... (or other features.. like the steering wheel audio controls) should consider that people really need to spend $3400 to get to that point.
Your making it seem like Honda is charging $3400 JUST for the navigation and vsa which is not true. To go from a sport to the same sport except with navigation and vsa will cost you an extra $1800. But your comparing a base to a sport with navi/vsa. You get a lot more things than just navi/vsa for that $3,400.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Honda has always bundled options oddly. Back in the '80s the only way to get a fuel-injected Accord was to pay for the LX-i model, which also got you a sunroof and upgraded suspension. The Navi/VSA combo is perhaps even sillier, since the only thing those two pieces of equipment have in common is a customer who wants "everything" and is willing to pay for it.

I don't need or particularly want VSA or the Navi. But I would've bought a base model instead of a sport if the base model had been offered with cruise control as an option. (What's so "sporty" about cruise control anyway? I think our friends in Canada have an LX model that would've been closer to what I really would have preferred.)

And yes, I probably would've added the USB and fog lights.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Ive seen the Navi on Ebay for like 500ish, and the install looks to be on the simple side. The only thing is I think the steering wheel on the Navi Fits have controls for the head unit, which is cool but probably pricey...I thought about doing a OE navi install at one point but I realized I drive to work then home, and maybe to peeps houses, so I kinda know where everything is!!!!!

As for VSA, learn not to lose control of your car. and if you live in a snowy area, don't buy a fit. (this last statement was obviously a generalization for dramatics)

Old 08-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
As for VSA, learn not to lose control of your car. and if you live in a snowy area, don't buy a fit. (this last statement was obviously a generalization for dramatics)
+1 seriously... if your looking at a base fit and want vsa... why even look at a fit.... its like your saying... i want bare minumum... except an expensive driving assist... which kind of goes against thinking about buying a base...

a better option could be the suzuki sx4 awd... under 17000... bare min with a awd system...

Last edited by dela; 08-05-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Your making it seem like Honda is charging $3400 JUST for the navigation and vsa which is not true. To go from a sport to the same sport except with navigation and vsa will cost you an extra $1800. But your comparing a base to a sport with navi/vsa. You get a lot more things than just navi/vsa for that $3,400.

agreed. honda may option things badly, but thats nothing new, it hasn't kept people from buying their cars, and that price is only in comparison to the base model as the op states....so in actuality, that extra money is going for more than just vsa.

to the op: if people who subscribe to this site are so dumb that you feel the need for everyone discussing the price of the fit to consistently say that is 3400 more for these options...well your outta luck. i think people should be more intuitive.

if anyone is considering a base, but wants a decked out sport, THEN i'll say its that much more.

until then, its an 1800 option.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dela
a better option could be the suzuki sx4 awd... under 17000... bare min with a awd system...
this little guy does intrigue me...and would be a better car for snow and ice...believe it or not the Fit can't do it all...

Originally Posted by eldaino

to the op: if people who subscribe to this site are so dumb that you feel the need for everyone discussing the price of the fit to consistently say that is 3400 more for these options...well your outta luck. i think people should be more intuitive.

if anyone is considering a base, but wants a decked out sport, THEN i'll say its that much more.

until then, its an 1800 option.
I think the OP fails to see that the jump from base to sport gives you all the body stylingf, but he claims to not want it, which is fine, but it still cost money!!!!...I think Honda packaged their options correctly, Logically a Base model buyer would want a cheap ass car, period...they don't see the value in body styling(this is the masses of course) there are those few that want a base model, but want an 1800 dollar Navi, and the car to drive itself...when a map at the gas station is 2 bucks and learning to drive right is free....,

Last edited by Stormtrooper; 08-05-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
we'll likely go with the Base model with A/C as the Sport was too rough a ride and the LX model up here comes with some gawd-awful ugly rims.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:47 PM
The only difference in suspension between the base and sport is the wheels and tires. The thicker sidewall of the base tire is probably why the base felt smoother.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
The reason most of us call it an $1800 option is b/c the Sport non-navi is hands down the biggest selling variant of the Fit. The base model is a stripper car. The Sport has enough amenities to make it a normal, livable car for the needs of the average buyer. It's the car that dealers push hard and most folks willingly go for it. Heck, my dealer only had two base models on the lot and only two Navi models as well.

Some types of cars DO come setup for cruise already and the only mod needed is to change out the steering wheel controls. Don't know if that's the case on the Fit or not.

As for me personally, this is frickin 2009. I don't want to be chasing around errant hubcaps and I'll be damned if I drive another car without cruise. If all you do is short trips, that's fine. But the Fit is a perfectly capable long-distance cruiser/commuter, and that's what I use mine for.

If all you want is a stripped-down, cheap as they come car, go look at a base Yaris, Versa, Accent, or Cobalt. You'd come out a lot better, money and gas-wise.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
The only difference in suspension between the base and sport is the wheels and tires. The thicker sidewall of the base tire is probably why the base felt smoother.
Not quite, at least according to Honda. The Sport also has a rear stabilizer bar which the base model lacks.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
I think that if your premise is you have to choose between calling it a "$3400 option" and an "$1800 option" you're not gonna get anywhere. This is one of those battles that's not remotely worth fighting for.

The main reason it's not a "$3400 option" is that for the "$3400 option" coming from a Base model you got a ton of extra stuff, not just VSA.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:55 PM
It doesn't matter, the fact is Honda blew it by not offering VSA across the line.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by suneohair
It doesn't matter, the fact is Honda blew it by not offering VSA across the line.

i agree that i would have preferred this...but since the civic doesn't offer it across the line either, that would have resulted in them needing to add it to the civic as well.

hopefully that will be corrected in the new iteration though. other manufacturers have caught up and are offering a bunch of stuff standard now, honda cant keep at it with base model dx civics lacking a/c.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blyndgesser
Not quite, at least according to Honda. The Sport also has a rear stabilizer bar which the base model lacks.

yeah, but a rear stabilizer bar does not automatically=harshness. the bigger sidewall of the tires on the base is whats doing it, and might i add that its probably not that much.

perhaps the fact that the model is called fit 'sport' that its making you FEEL like its rougher.

Quick Reply: Navi w/ VSA a $3400 option, not $1800