2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's seat killing my back!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Driver's seat killing my back!

I wuv my new 09 base model manual Fit (thanks Obama) but this seat is as bad as an airline seat for my body type. The thing has a recess up around your shoulders and bulge all the way down with no other curve above the lumbar area which is essential but proper back support. I realize the design is to activate the active head restraint, but dang, it hurts! So, what have people done to work with this? Men with normal-size booties seem to have no issue with this, as my husband has noted. Now don't be thinking that I have a big booty either, just a feminine curvy normal sized one! (Gawd what kind of posts am I going to get from this!?!?!)

Old 08-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey I'm pretty skinny And on Long drives some days it really kills me! (08-GD-Base)

Old 08-08-2009, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Try reclining the seat back a notch. If you need to, you can also telescope the wheel closer to you, and/or slide the bottom of the seat forward. The idea is to put your center of gravity further back.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
i agree with you. the fit lacks proper lumbar support but i thought they addressed the problem with the GEs. guess iwas wrong.

and just for fun, lets see that curvy body jk ofcourse

Old 08-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Maybe only bigger folks are having problems with the seats?

I have no pain issues with mine.

myke

Old 08-08-2009, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
No problems here, 6' in a GD.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:15 PM
yeah.. try reclining it back a bit and dont rest your head on the head rest...

Old 08-08-2009, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
No problems (male 5'7.5" ~170), but if the headrest is a problem try reclining the seats a bit (lean back) or see if you can buy an aftermarket headrest that isn't as forward as the OEM one.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Fitftw

and just for fun, lets see that curvy body jk ofcourse
I second that motion

Old 08-09-2009, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TootsD
I wuv my new 09 base model manual Fit (thanks Obama) but this seat is as bad as an airline seat for my body type. The thing has a recess up around your shoulders and bulge all the way down with no other curve above the lumbar area which is essential but proper back support. I realize the design is to activate the active head restraint, but dang, it hurts! So, what have people done to work with this? Men with normal-size booties seem to have no issue with this, as my husband has noted. Now don't be thinking that I have a big booty either, just a feminine curvy normal sized one! (Gawd what kind of posts am I going to get from
this!?!?!)
In the SW last winter a plastic/metal mesh lumbar support that straps to the seat was all the rage among snow birds and RV'ers. The prices ranged from $2 to $10 and they work! I found mine at a flea market but I have noticed them on Amazon. Good luck! Amazon.com: Angel Sales PosturePro Lumbar Support: Health & Personal Care

Old 08-09-2009, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
The driving position isn't really ideal on our cars, and yeah missing lumbar support is a huge disappointment. My issue also revolved around lacking thigh support and I'm just a 5'8" male. I resorted to replacing my seats.

Before replacing the seats though I "cheated" by sitting as far as I can from the wheel while still maintaining control on the pedals. Then I sat as upright as I could. Believe it or not, it helped...but it'll still ache after a few hours into a long drive or bad traffic.

At least your GE has the reach-adjustable steering column. I suggest you make use of it, it's a huge help My GD doesn't.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Which seat did you use for a replacement? My Fit is a week old and it's the first time I've had back problems in a car! Love everything else about it...

Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 PM
I've been using a lumbar support cushion in my Fit ever since I bought it. It's perfectly comfortable as long as I use the cushion, even on a drive across the country.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Gargoyle, The Fit is the first new automobile I've ever purchased. I've always bought a car that was 1-3 years old to let someone else take the depreciation. The only other transportation that I ever bought new is a Harley Fatboy.

So like yourself, I was disappointed and concerned when I suffered from a sore back after a few hours riding in the car on my first long trip. I was really worried that I would have the replace the seats asap. However, I was surprised that after 1000 miles the seats broke in and now feel comfortable. After 3000 miles, they feel fine and I haven't thought about replacing them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... give them a chance to break in. It made a difference for me.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by TootsD
...but dang, it hurts! ... (Gawd what kind of posts am I going to get from this!?!?!)
I hear these help for those who can't hang with the seat

Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Maybe only bigger folks are having problems with the seats?
Nope! I'm 183 cm, 67 kg and I can definetely feel the lack of support for the lower back

Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
ThomP, bigger in the US means big as in "carrying a lot of weight" and not "tall"

Also, the won't know how much you weigh and how tall you are unless you tell them 67 kg is about 148 pounds and 183 cm is 6"2'. So actually for US standards you are considered skinny and severely underweight ;-D

(I'm allowed to say that as a Bavarian and skinny person, we always speak our mind *lol*)

Old 09-02-2009, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mela_SC
ThomP, bigger in the US means big as in "carrying a lot of weight" and not "tall"

Also, the won't know how much you weigh and how tall you are unless you tell them 67 kg is about 148 pounds and 183 cm is 6"2'. So actually for US standards you are considered skinny and severely underweight ;-D

(I'm allowed to say that as a Bavarian and skinny person, we always speak our mind *lol*)
Thanks for the unit conversion
I am quite aware of the fact that I am skinny (but not at all underweight) so my point was that the fact that I do have issues with the lack of seat support prove that the problem is not limited to big people as IBJanky suggested

Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
I got you

Nice to "meet" someone from Denmark, I heard it's very nice there!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gargoyle
Which seat did you use for a replacement? My Fit is a week old and it's the first time I've had back problems in a car! Love everything else about it...
Name:  DSC01152.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  22.3 KB
I use Recaro SRDs mounted to Bride RO-type rails. All my seat problems (lack of lumbar and thigh support) solved in one fell swoop.

Last edited by Type 100; 09-02-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Driver's seat killing my back!