2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Help me with Oil Change

Hihi.

The GE8 will be my first car, and I will be treating it like a firstborn. So I seek help from fellow FitFreakers regarding oil changes.

I have a mechanic-friend that will help me look over the car, but I want to learn about my car therefore I wish to do all the maintenance myself.

Can someone post a DIY oil change for the 09 Fit Sport 5MT?

Also, what oils are recommended? I've heard for a new car, the first few oil changes should be with dino oil ... it helps seats the seals better. Then switch over to a blend of synthetic/dino and finally full synthetic.

I have my own beliefs in oil changes. Reasonable driving first. First oil change at 1000km. Drive it like I stole it for the next 2k (after, of course, the car is warmed up). Then have the second oil change at 3k and 8k intervals thereafter.

I want to use only Group IV Synthetic oils. What is the recommended weight/viscocity? Sorry ... it should be in the owner's manual but I have yet to take delivery of my Fit just yet.

Also .. Filters. What Filters are recommended? I don't want to use the paper Fram filters... only the best of the best goes into my Fit.

I suppose I'm a bit anal about it, but I truly love my car and would want it to last ... so this is just how I feel

Cheerio!
-k

Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
kai- i think there's a DIY in the DIY section. it's super easy on these cars.

dont get too anal about the oil change itself. just make sure to change it regulary when the reminder hits 15%. it's not so much the expensive materials, rather keeping a good routine that will win you a happy engine.

i use the standard honda oil filter, crush washer, and Mobil1 synthetic silver cap one.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:51 PM
general oil change instructions.

jack the car up, place on jackstands. never leave the car supported only be a jack
place pan under drain plug.
open drain plug (may help to remove the oil filler cover too, for flow)
remove filter.
After oil has drained, replace crush washer on drain plug, torque to specs.
replace filter, priming rubber contact surface with new oil
fill with oil
close cap, warm up, then check oil level. add as needed.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
As has been mentioned many times, the manual specifically says not to change the oil for the first time until the maintenance minder tells you to. So I wouldn't change it at 1,000km. In fact, a friend of mine brought his to the dealer to get the oil changed for the first time at 3,000 miles, and they refused to do it.

I've changed my oil once, and it's by far the easiest oil change I've ever done on a Honda. Mostly because they've finally stopped putting the oil filter halfway up on the back of the engine. The new location on the front of the engine is much, much easier.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Yep..Piece of cake. Easy to do without even getting dirty. 4 quarts with the filter

Old 08-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Honda filters are okay, although certain Honda filters are manufactured by Fram (which aren't the kiss-of-death some make them out to be, but that's for another thread). Purolator PureOne, Wix, Mobil 1, etc are all good filters.

5w20 is the recommended viscosity, at least in the US.

Since this is your first time doing an oil change on the Fit, I'd recommend trying to loosen the filter a bit BEFORE you drain the oil. You'll be able to turn it a bit without leaking any oil. You just wanna make sure you can break it loose before draining all the oil so you don't have to try to pour the old oil back in if the filter is too tight to get off (rare but it happens).

As someone who has spent WAY too much time over the past 20 years reading about and experimenting with different oil recommendations, used oil analyses, etc and the almost-religious zeal used to argue various choices, let me just recommend that you not get too hung up on "THE BEST" filter or Group 3 vs Group 4 oil, etc. Synthetic oils in general should far exceed the dino rated SM oil that is recommended and that Honda factory fills and that dealers use for oil changes. And Honda engines are generally easy on oil, going 150,000+ miles no regular dino with no problem. At that point, maybe using synthetic means an engine rebuild at 225,000 miles instead of 200,000. That assumes you keep the car the 15+ years needed to accumulate that many miles.

I'm not saying don't take care of your car or use quality filters and lubricants, just don't drive yourself crazy making these choices because in most passenger-car duty, the performance differences between products is very small.

Last edited by txmatt; 08-18-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
yep, i have 2 drain catch pans (buckets) so while the oil is draining from the plug, i loosen the filter while holding the second pan right under the filter and let it dribble out. then loosen it some more and more oil will come out. then loosen some more, etc. and just unscrew it off the engine at the end. no mess.

btw, get a can of electric cleaner or brake cleaner to use to clean your pan and funnel after use.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
And Honda engines are generally easy on oil, going 150,000+ miles no regular dino with no problem. At that point, maybe using synthetic means an engine rebuild at 225,000 miles instead of 200,000. That assumes you keep the car the 15+ years needed to accumulate that many miles.
I sure hope my engine lasts longer than 200,000 or mine will be dead in like 5 years. Am I the only one who puts on like 40k a year? I imagine this engine should last til 600,000 miles or so, it's the transmission I'm worried about.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Older and wiser here. Let the dealer do it. No fuss no mess. I am sure the materials they use are quite satisfactory and meets warranty demands.

Where are you going to dispose of used oil/filter assuming you don't accidentally spill it all over your garage floor?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Older and wiser, never let anyone else service your car unless you can't.

There are many places where one can dispose of used oil. Most auto parts stores offer such service for free. My city also has a collection point for collecting hazardous waste.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
I sure hope my engine lasts longer than 200,000 or mine will be dead in like 5 years. Am I the only one who puts on like 40k a year? I imagine this engine should last til 600,000 miles or so, it's the transmission I'm worried about.
I think the average is like 15,000 miles/year, so yeah, 40k is definitely at the high end. I'd assume that a lot of that mileage is highway miles which is easy on oil and would likely help engine life. 200k+ miles, though, is not very common since, even at 20k/year, it still becomes a 10 year old car that most people tire of and at that many miles decide to replace it instead of putting a couple grand into a rebuild.

With as much as you drive though, you may actually get to see how long an engine lasts if you don't get tired of replacing CV joints, shocks/struts, brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, bushings, transmissions, alternators, etc before you get there.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
im with Ein.

you might be just older but not necessarily 'wiser' to let the dealer do it. just preference. i rather work on my cars in my spare time.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:48 PM
I put about 3000 miles a month on my FIT. Mostly I-80 commute miles. Currently at 7200 miles and the oil minder just went to 50%, but I drive pretty easy.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by x94cherry
...they've finally stopped putting the oil filter halfway up on the back of the engine. The new location on the front of the engine is much, much easier.
Now, if they would only install the damn thing vertical, instead of horizontal

Old 08-18-2009, 11:27 PM
the v6 accord i had had the filter in a pretty good place. you took off the passenger front wheel, and it was right there. the M3 though has the best placement. its a cannister, and it is right at the front of the engine bay when you pop the hood.