2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Proper Use of E-Brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Daemione
That's just it - I acknowledge and agree with the concept of using the handbrake before putting in park, it makes sense.

But I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that 99% of automatic drivers don't use the handbrake. ever. And 99% of them have never had a transmission problem. :shrug:
Well, considering it takes half a second and ZERO energy to engage the E-brake, and it could POTENTIALLY save you 1000s of dollars on a broken tranny, I'm gonna use it every time I park. End of discussion.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
the proper way to use it is when you are at the middle of an apex in a turn, pull it hard, correct your steering and disengage it.
Have you figured out a way to disengage the brake lock permanently? It's so much easier if you can just pull the brake up until you don't need it, and let it drop back down without having to press the damn button!

Used to argue with a much older guy who said it was the EMERGENCY brake, and only to be used in case of emergency. I said it's a parking brake, and like selden said, I've seen the cables freeze up if they aren't regularly used. So I use it whenever parked.

My driveway is sloped anyways, and one time, I left my GTI in neutral, forget to set the brake, and a neighbor had to come get me 'cause the GTI was out in the middle of the street, and blocking traffic. Name:  adoh.gif
Views: 379
Size:  2.1 KB

Shit happens. I got a M/T, when I park it, I set the PARKING brake, then put it in 1st. Works for me.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by Krizz
Have you figured out a way to disengage the brake lock permanently? It's so much easier if you can just pull the brake up until you don't need it, and let it drop back down without having to press the damn button!

Used to argue with a much older guy who said it was the EMERGENCY brake, and only to be used in case of emergency. I said it's a parking brake, and like selden said, I've seen the cables freeze up if they aren't regularly used. So I use it whenever parked.

My driveway is sloped anyways, and one time, I left my GTI in neutral, forget to set the brake, and a neighbor had to come get me 'cause the GTI was out in the middle of the street, and blocking traffic.

Shit happens. I got a M/T, when I park it, I set the PARKING brake, then put it in 1st. Works for me.
Assuming that the GTI was MT, how in the **** did you even get out without noticing?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:37 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member

My driveway is sloped anyways, and one time, I left my GTI in neutral, forget to set the brake, and a neighbor had to come get me 'cause the GTI was out in the middle of the street, and blocking traffic. [IMG]http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/Afganistand/adoh.gif

hmm, i never thought about disengaging the button. thats actually a really good idea, but i use my ebrake alot for parking, or at least i used to. mainly because when i would turn my car off, the turbo timer would keep the engine on and you cant put it in gear when the car is still idling. now that i have taken off my turbo, i still use it because there are alot of gnarly hills where i live.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by mtunofun
I was reading the owners manual and it said to put the parking brake first and then put it in park (automatic trans). This is the way I've always done it:

1. push down brake pedal.
2. put into park (while still holding brake pedal).
3. set e-brake.
4. release brake pedal.

I figured that i'm not putting any load on the transmission anyways, but what do you guys think? The "proper" way or my way?
I agree with the way your using the parking brake. The whole idea is to keep the weight of the car from resting on the transmission. It makes good sense if you think about it IMO.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
I never use my parking brake with my A/T. This all makes sense though... Maybe its time to start...

Old 08-19-2009, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
Ever since I've been driving I'v always used the parking brake even when I'm not on an incline. I usually put it in park, then engage the e-brake. Can't believe I've been doing it wrong for the past 7 years or so. I park in my driveway sometimes which has an decline coming from the road. Whether I'm parked uphill or downhill, I get that huge CLUNK going into drive or reverse. Now I know why I hear that noise. I always thought it wasn't supposed to sound like that, thought something may be wrong with my car. It's a good thing I found this thread. From now on I'm gonna do N, E-Brake, then Park.

Good Thread.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kyle is raaddd
Assuming that the GTI was MT, how in the **** did you even get out without noticing?
Yeah, it was an MT, was just one of those fluke things. The top of the driveway is almost level, I was in a hurry, parked it, for some reason I was in a hurry to get inside, and it managed to stay there long enough for me to get inside the house. 5 minutes later, the neighbor was knocking on my door. Fortunately, I don't live on a busy street.

I've only made that mistake once in the 23 years I've lived there

Old 08-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Daemione
But I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that 99% of automatic drivers don't use the handbrake. ever. And 99% of them have never had a transmission problem.
At the same time, auto transmissions have a higher failure rate than manual. The discrepancy is generally attributed to manual transmissions being simpler tech, but maybe it's b/c of drivers not using the handbrake!

My week-old Civic was bumped in a parking lot because some jackass forgot to put his car in Park *AND* forgot to set the handbrake. It rolled across the traffic lane right into my car. It was a very light grade so his car had not gained a lot of speed and there was no damage fortunately.

As an M/T driver I can see forgetting to put an A/T in park if you don't drive it often....but IMO not setting the handbrake is unforgiveable and if it was up to me that other driver would never drive again. He's going to be a headline when he "forgets" which pedal is which someday.

He saw me seething with rage and said "It's no big deal, that's why it's called an 'accident'" and all I could think was how this ding dong carelessly left 2000 lbs of metal to freewheel across a parking lot...someone could have been seriously injured...and he's saying "It's no big deal."

It requires so little effort to set the parking brake, so it's silly not to use it.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Yeah, it was an MT, was just one of those fluke things. The top of the driveway is almost level, I was in a hurry, parked it, for some reason I was in a hurry to get inside, and it managed to stay there long enough for me to get inside the house. 5 minutes later, the neighbor was knocking on my door. Fortunately, I don't live on a busy street.

I've only made that mistake once in the 23 years I've lived there
Oh okay, I pictured a pretty nice incline.
Well I can see how that could happen.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:30 PM
That is really weird. I'd use it on a steep incline, but that's it.
I know 54857397 people that DON'T use their e-brake when they park their AT, and they haven't had a problem so far.

54857397 people, huh? Name them.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by ksmith0034
54857397 people, huh? Name them.

Nooo!! What a shame,...

I typed them ALL out, then when I went to post it, my internet timed out.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Nooo!! What a shame,...

I typed them ALL out, then when I went to post it, my internet timed out.

LOL!!! Very nice! In fact, I'm STILL laughing!!!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by weeladdie
Keeping your foot on the brake, put the auto transmission in neutral, set the handbrake, remove your foot from the brake and allow the car to settle, then put the transmission in park.
This is also the way I do it. After putting it on neutral, I set the handbrake, then wait for the auxiliary fan to settle down before I put the gear in Park.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Auxillary fan? You may have opened pandora's box. You'll definitely have to explain. Is there a reason to wait till it goes off and then park?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm just trying to remember to set the e-brake every time. After I read it in the manual, I wanted to start setting it again (I used to do it religiously in my old car, but I didn't know anyone else with an automatic that did it, so I stopped). I'm out of the habit now, but I think I've remembered the past five times or so, hooray!
I park on a hill when I'm at home, so it is definitely a good idea for me.

I do it the same way I always have: Apply brake until stopped; while still at a full stop, shift into Park, then apply emergency brake and take foot off brake pedal. Turn off car.

I'm not fancy enough to put it into neutral, wait for the fan, blah blah blah. Good enough, and better than nothing at all, right?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by mtunofun
Auxillary fan? You may have opened pandora's box. You'll definitely have to explain. Is there a reason to wait till it goes off and then park?
The fan goes on once the aircon turns-up. Notice that when the aircon goes automatic, the RPM goes up, close to 1k, the moment it settles down, the RPM also drops.

I do it because It allows the engine to cool down (and the coolant to rotate faster) a little bit before I turn it off.

Last edited by red07; 08-20-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by red07
The fan goes on once the aircon turns-up. Notice that when the aircon goes automatic, the RPM goes up, close to 1k, the moment it settles down, the RPM also drops.

I do it because It allows the engine to cool down (and the coolant to rotate faster) a little bit before I turn it off.

Nothing cools an engine faster than stopping the source of the heat. I/E the 25-30 Mini-Explosions occuring ever second in your engine at idle. Just turn it off

Old 08-25-2009, 01:16 AM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
cheez-its christmas!
its called park for a reason.
stop the car- put it in park. turn car off - leave car.
if my tranny fails itll be from my tapping into 2nd at 45 to make a turn,
or the D bombs that i do bc i think im cool.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:22 AM
for automatic transmissions, i rarely use the parking brake unless i'm parked on an incline.

for manual transmission: always, with the gear in 1st.

Quick Reply: Proper Use of E-Brake