2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

K&N Drop-In: Better MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
K&N Drop-In: Better MPG?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has installed a K&N drop-in air filter into their '09 Fit.

If you used a different after-market performance filter, what did you use?

Either way, did you notice a difference in MPG? Did you notice any kinds of differences in performance or response?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:38 PM
nope, no difference with the K&N on the 2007 FIT so it should be the same on the newer ones. Only advantage is it is washable.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 AM
K&n

Same here. I put on in my 09 and haven't noticed any difference what so ever. I do like the washable part instead of just throwing it out.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
I recently got a K&N filter on my '08 with a slightly modified OEM airbox. I put it in halfway through my tank of gas. My mpgs were slightly higher than normal. I will see with my next tank of gas if I see continued improvement.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
Don't expect any.... if you spend the majority of your time at expressway speeds in a manual, then maybe minuscule amounts improvement in mpg. if driven right you can also get minuscule improvements by getting up to cruising speeds slightly faster. I would expect any claimed gains to be akin to the placebo effect.

It'll give you an edge on power when you mash it but you still have those additional 7 90 degree bends in the intake over moving to the full k&n intake. little bit more power, little better throttle response, but the big payoff is if you own the car in the long term the savings in filter replacement.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:06 PM
What's the part # for the filter? I checked Autozone and it doesn't show in the booklet..

Old 09-14-2009, 04:57 PM
I have had a K&N drop in filter on my '09 for a couple months now. No mpg difference, and maybe a tiny difference in pickup. Mainly you get a washable filter and a little more noise when you hit the gas. Too bad I gotta wait til the warranty runs out to go CAI again.

And I ordered directly from K&N since stores don't seem to have them yet.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
No increase in MPG here either. I did find that my car breathes a little easier, particularly when I'm going up a 40 degree angled hill. Other than that no difference, but I'd still make the investment any day.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 PM
I guess I'll just order from the k&n website too as I prefer to wash the filter instead of buying a new one.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Pffft you guys have it on backwards! I get an extra 10mpg!!!

No change...

Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 AM
I did a DIY SRI and I'm noticing 3-7 mpg more. Depending on how I drive.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I just ordered one from autoanything.com for my '09 sport auto.

I'm not expecting a world of a difference but I will be sure to update you all with results.

I plan to start usage of it with a brand new tank of 87 octane and daily typical driving like I always do which is basically my commute to work and around town as I live in a suburb of Des Moines with relatively low traffic congestion everywhere you go.

Here's some info about this test:

1. I have owned the car for just over 1 month.
2. MPG at fillups (not what the guage says) have averaged about 37-38-39 MPG and I am eager to hit the 40+ MPG mark!
3. My driving route consists of the following speed limit sections:
.5 miles of 25 mph (several stop signs)
3.3 miles of 45 mph (3 stop lights)
3.2 miles of 55 mph (1 stop light)
7.7 miles of 65 mph interstate
1.8 miles of 35 mph (2 stop lights)
*google maps says this route is supposed to take 27 minutes but I don't know if that's entirely accurate at all

4. I drive this thing like a grandpa because I've been obsessed with getting awesome MPG (hypermiling vocab/techniques are not specifically what I'm going after here. I will attempt "normal driving" as in driving the speed limit, not flooring it, rolling starts, you name it.
5. Tire pressure is at 38 psi
6. The test will be for the whole first fillup obviously

If this ultimately is not successful in gaining MPG then the way I see it I'll have a filter that will last a long time and will have only invested $42.19 with free ground shipping.

Wish me luck!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
@jcschlic

I am very interested in your results please post often!

Old 09-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I just received the filter and will be installing it/filling up gas tank/checking tire pressure tonight. I'll keep you updated.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Update: I'm a little over half way through my first tank with the K&N. While I obviously won't have an accurate reading until the my next fill-up, I have noticed the MPG gauge has been higher ever since I installed the K&N. I used to get 42-43, now it's steadying around 45-46...but as I said I'll have to wait until the tank is almost empty to fill up and get a truly accurate reading.

BTW I will say I don't think I've noticed any type of smoother acceleration or response. Perhaps if I was gunning it off the line I could notice, but I may never know.

I will update soon with the final numbers on this experiment.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:58 AM
OK, I filled up the tank last night almost immediately after it went on "low fuel". I obviously could've gotten some more miles on the tank, as seen by the fill up. However,

Summary for the experiment:

353.4 miles on the tank
8.81 gallons to fill up
This equals 40.11 MPG

Not a huge improvement, but it got me to the 40 mark just as I had wanted.

So I think it's safe to say that the K&N does work to improve airflow and efficiency.

I will also say that now that the experiment is over, I totally want to pedal it off the line and just drive the hell outta the car, because I really did work hard for that 40 MPG mark.

Essentially, I obeyed the speed limits, never floored it, never put myself in a position where I had to pass someone at the last second just to make a turn. I used the cruise control whenever I could, getting as good as I could with coasting.

Overall, I'm pleased!

EDIT: I forgot to say that the Fit's mpg gauge read 44.9 mpg when I finished the experiment.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Usually you will gain a little more MPG after the break-in period.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 AM
k&n is good concept but from what I have read, stick to the stock filter, it lets in too much dirt and also the oil spray may foul sensors.
oil analysis at bob is the oil guy has shown that k&n elevates silicon, which will degrade your cylindar walls

Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stockrex
k&n is good concept but from what I have read, stick to the stock filter, it lets in too much dirt and also the oil spray may foul sensors.
oil analysis at bob is the oil guy has shown that k&n elevates silicon, which will degrade your cylindar walls

i like this post.. i have used 3 oilfilters on 2 different cars in the past.. one which was boosted, the all the MAF sensors and IODE(whatever) sensors all get prety jacked up after you clean and re-oil your K&N filter... no getting away around it.. freaken sucks.

theres a HUGE toyota thread on the subject:
K&N intake problems- what K&N had to say - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
I went to Pro-dry AFE filters just because of my experiance in the past, and all these other people having the same problems.

and heres what K&N has to say about the MAF sensor subject:
K&N Mass Air Flow Sensor Test Results

i guess for our fits it wouldn't really matter.. dirty sensors... what makes a difference? its a stock car.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:28 PM
1 up

Quick Reply: K&N Drop-In: Better MPG?