2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Fit questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Newbie Fit questions

I have searched and learned that the LED MPG read-out is inaccurate. Some are off by as many as 7 mpg. But do they tend to err on the high or low side or does it vary? I'm sitting on 1/4-ish tank and don't think I like what I see so far. 24mpg maybe? I'll figure it out as soon as I fill up (for the first time) tho......

Also....

I'm intrigued by the Fit's intricacies and love looking under the hood to see what's where and how stuff works and there are two things that baffle me.

At the top edge of the engine compartment there is a sliding door that says "Frame Number" but when I open it, I can't see anything. Is there something there but you need a light to see it?

Name:  DSCN3320.jpg
Views: 5436
Size:  129.6 KB

Another thing I noticed while under the hood is at the manifold. It looks like something has been grinded down like one trying to conceal the serial number of a stolen firearm. Is anybody else's Fit like this?

Name:  DSCN3319.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  130.7 KB

Old 08-31-2009, 10:23 PM
I was under the impression that the MPG averages err on the high side.

Frame number door...hmmm, had to go look. I hate myself for not noticing. That door slides much further to the right...there's nothing in there. I defer to Fit gurus for this one. I've never seen this in the 3 other hondas/acuras i've owned.

As for the grindage on the intake mani....I've got the same thing. I've waited over a decade for an excuse to use that word in a legit way.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Watsoff
I was under the impression that the MPG averages err on the high side.

Frame number door...hmmm, had to go look. I hate myself for not noticing. That door slides much further to the right...there's nothing in there. I defer to Fit gurus for this one. I've never seen this in the 3 other hondas/acuras i've owned.

As for the grindage on the intake mani....I've got the same thing. I've waited over a decade for an excuse to use that word in a legit way.
You're right. I know the trap door opens much further and nearly comes out. I took my fluorescent shop light out and still couldn't see anything so it got me to thinking that maybe a special light such as a timing light was needed to see anything? Who knows? I don't! That's why I came to you guys! LOL

If you got the grindage too.........I'm cool with that. Would like to know what was there or what the purpose of grinding was though.....just because I'm anal!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
My trip MPG has consistently been reporting 4 - 5 MPG's higher than what I've actually been getting.

With city driving, I've been averaging around 36+ MPG, and the read out has been 41+ MPG.

When tanks have been used for mostly freeway driving, it's been about 2 MPG higher in both actual, and the readout.

Currently on a road trip for work, and I've been taking it easy MPH wise, which is damn difficult . Gonna be interested to see if I can get it up close to or over 40 MPG actual with virtually all freeway driving.

No idea what's the story with the stuff in your pics.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM
The frame number is the VIN which should be engraved onto the body of the car. So the next time you look, try looking at the bottom. it should be there somewhere...

As for that grinding...I have no clue wtf that is lawlz :P

Old 08-31-2009, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1FiTpINOY
As for that grinding...I have no clue wtf that is lawlz :P
Dude.......I hip but I am 43. Quit trying to confuse me with lawls! If it's an LOL, say it's an LOL!!!!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 PM
My guess is, in relation to the "grindage" you are looking at the spot where the metal was poured into the mold to make the part. This leaves a bit hanging off that has to be ground away.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
My trip MPG has consistently been reporting 4 - 5 MPG's higher than what I've actually been getting.

With city driving, I've been averaging around 36+ MPG, and the read out has been 41+ MPG.
For the life of me, I don't know how people are reporting this. There is no way in hell I could ever hope to see my meter read 41+ with city driving. I take it easy with my fit primarily because it's new, so I'm not driving like a jerk- nor do i typically drive like a jerk. My meter is reporting 33 at the moment, but it only got THAT high because I did a highway trip on the weekend and got the numbers up a bit. Now that I'm back to city driving, the numbers remain higher- but is it accurate or just a false read coming off of a highway trip. Before the highway trip, I was lucky to get my meter up to 31. How are people getting such great gas mileage- coasting all the live long day?! I don't get it.

Bottom line- I'm pretty sure I'm getting advertised mpg's which is fine and expected. But 40? No way.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 09-01-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
How are people getting such great gas mileage- coasting all the live long day?! I don't get it.
The hell if I know.
My gauge runs about 10% high.
Name:  100_0872.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  68.5 KB

Old 09-01-2009, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
Wow! If I ever saw that number I'd for sure will have shat myself- even if it's 10% high! Come on now, admit it. You're the person doing THE speed limit at all times and consequently, driving me absolutely insane behind you!

Dan

Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Wow! If I ever saw that number I'd for sure will have shat myself- even if it's 10% high! Come on now, admit it. You're the person doing THE speed limit at all times and consequently, driving me absolutely insane behind you!

Dan
Ditttttttto. lmao

Old 09-01-2009, 09:25 AM
That is why last year the govt started to mandate that car manufacturers give more accurate MPG ratings. So all ratings for all cars went down a bit. Even with a Toyota Prius. They still find ways to bloat true ratings. If you do a lot of stop and go, parking a lot (running errands) and city driving you will probably get less than the average. If you live in Montana and drive on the freeway at a consistent 65 miles an hour than you will beat the hwy average. It really depends on how you drive because the manufacturer's averages are just that ... averages.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krizz

define city driving?

and what are you doing, other than getting out of the car and pushing it thru the streets to get that mileage?

in city driving i get somewhere in the 20s mpg.
in mixed driving for the lifetime of the car (11,000 miles) ive averaged 31.6 miles.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
huh... didnt even notice that the last time i opened the GE's hood to check its fluid levels.

so, i guess it's not much of a concern.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spin out
define city driving?

and what are you doing, other than getting out of the car and pushing it thru the streets to get that mileage?

in city driving i get somewhere in the 20s mpg.
in mixed driving for the lifetime of the car (11,000 miles) ive averaged 31.6 miles.
That's realistic. When I see the number that Schadenfreude has for mpg's [51], it makes me think that these readouts are wildy off from vehicle to vehicle and perhaps my typical readout [30-34] is actually tighter and closer to reality- in other words less 'off'. All I know is it would take a LOT for me to get a reading of 51, considering I consistently hover in the low to mid 30's. Maybe, maybe if all I did was highway driving and rolled along at a constant speed, each day, I could push a number like 51 over time. But when you go back to city driving and the numebr hangs around that territory, to me that's a false read. It should drop like a stone in that instance, back to the reality of city driving. But I notice it doesn't do that, at least for me.

I really think this damn mpg readout is taking up way too much space in my brain, but I can't seem to help it!

Btw- I opened my hood for the first time yesterday to do the mesh guard and I noticed everything that was pointed out here. All I can say about the engine compartment is it's cute! Everything is tiny compared to my 8 cylinder!

Dan

Old 09-01-2009, 09:25 PM
HA! "cute"

...sadly, I had a similar response when looking the engine over for the first time. That battery cracks me up, next was the radiator...my gawd, it's almost as small as the oil cooler on my Suzuki DR650. I had replaced my van's radiator several months back...that thing was a 42" LCD-sized hog...so it was fresh in my mind.

...I can't find an answer for the frame number door, but the dude a few up probably has it right. A portal for viewing frame number...seems kinds tacky if that's all it is.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Sh*t try driving around San Diego!!! Bad roads plus alot of ups and downs (both city and highway driving)

3/4 of my gas i had about....194 miles. WTF

Old 09-02-2009, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
Q1 remember to reset the TRIP METER after your fill ups this will reset the AVERAGE FUEL MILEAGE too (always calculate your mpg by hand)

Q2 If you look straight in and a little up with a flashlight you will see the VIN stamped into metal frame

Q3 I think rosswond is right the molten aluminum needs to be pored in from somewhere