2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Steering Wheel Audio Controls POSSIBLE on non-navi!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Steering Wheel Audio Controls POSSIBLE on non-navi!

Greetings,

Well, my efforts with the "How about a chart?" https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...out-chart.html thread has shown me that it is indeed possible to get steering wheel audio controls with the standard OEM head unit. Models in Australia and the UK, and probably elsewhere, which appears to be the same HU that we have, or at very least the same manufacturer are available with the steering wheel audio controls.

Now what we need is someone in one of those countries who may have replaced their HU or have simply taken it out for one reason or another (perhaps to add USB, or a multi-cd player or MP3 adapter, or someone willing to experiment to further investigate and figure out what to do in order to add steering wheel audio controls to the standard HU in the US Base and Sport models.

Either that, or someone here to do the investigation to figure out what parts are needed, or how those controls hookup to the standard HU, etc.

thanks!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
OOOOHhhhhh....subscribed! That'd be awesome.

That's the only thing I miss about my fg.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Exactly...enjoying a 6gig flash drive with 71 cd's on it.....just cant keep track of more than that..besides..I have 90 gigs of music...it is nice to trade of CD's of the drive to keep it fresh.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
it didnt quite work on the GD, and i think itll be the same for the GE as well.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 PM
...i want....i need...gimme

Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 PM
I've noticed that the new Civic steering wheels look erie and familiar...

Would it be possible to buy the pre-wired steering wheel and just rig it up yourself?????

Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wopasaurus
Would it be possible to buy the pre-wired steering wheel and just rig it up yourself?????
It's not the controls that I think are the biggest part of the puzzle. Controls are after all just switches in an electrical circuit.

I think the biggest question centers around the head unit. What sort of jack goes into the head unit? Which pins enable the controls? What sort of signals or power is necessary to control the unit? Where do you get the right type of jack to go into the head unit?

And finally are there already wires in place for this, or do you need to get and install a new wiring harness?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
interestingstuff, The controls are resistors, each button closes a resistor circuit and the HU understands like this:

From ESM:
Position / Resistance
No button pressed / About 10 kΩ
MODE / About 3.7 kΩ
CH (+) / About 1.7 kΩ
CH (−) / About 775 Ω
(VOL.UP) / About 357 Ω
(VOL.DOWN) / About 100 Ω

And here the Audio Connector for the HU:

Take a look at A5 and A16. So just 2 wires are needed.

I think the biggest problem is exaclty this:
And finally are there already wires in place for this, or do you need to get and install a new wiring harness?

Last edited by kotarou; 09-10-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention A5 and A16
Old 09-10-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm willing to experiment and try to add the controls in mine. This month it doesn't look like I'll be able to buy the parts though... (Feeling a little tapped out after the Mugen Suspension) But I fully plan on adding steering wheel controls. I will probably add USB at the same time just to save a little bit of wear and tear on the dash.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 AM
I was looking into this to add audio controls to a Sport w/o navi and wire it up to an aftermarket HU that supports OEM controls.
I think I found the part needed. It's an assembly with both the audio and cruise control buttons, and runs about $115 from Bernardi. I'm not sure what other parts might be needed.

Manual/AT Base(?): 36770-TK6-A31
AT w/ Paddles: 36770-TK6-A41

Old 09-10-2009, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by guitar_trance
Then again, the video is either in Chinese or Japanese.
That's Japanese. The text of the documents linked is in Japanese also.

Anyway, no one seems to be having luck getting it done the standard way. Although, this sounds as if it may be only a solution for aftermarket HUs. Then again, if the stock Honda HU has infrared (I think it's IR) then this solution should work. The image obviously shows Honda steering wheel mounted controls.
Their unit seems to be designed to adapt pre-existing steering wheel controls to control aftermarket HUs and other devices, and to add steering wheel controls (and subsequently do the same) to units without them.

As far as I know, the stock unit does not have IR. If anybody knows differently, please feel free to inform -- however, there isn't anywhere on there that appears to be an IR receiver to me and I don't know why it would have one.

As far as "no one seems to be having luck getting it done the standard way" I've read a lot of the threads on this, and most of them seem to refer to attempts on the GD model. Those posts and replies inquiring about the GE model seem to be just asking for information and whether it is possible. I think it's pretty solid information that the GE Stock HU is capabable of being controlled by the standard steering wheel controls. So, the possibility is proven, the question is answered with a definitive "YES!", now we just need to figure out the methodology of making it work.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kotarou
The controls are resistors, each button closes a resistor circuit and the HU understands like this:

From ESM:
Position / Resistance

And here the Audio Connector for the HU:
Thanks. This is a BIG help. One question tho: where is this information and chart from?

What is it's source? I want to be able to confirm with an absolute certainty that this is in regards to the GE model and not the GD.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
interestingstuff, all this info comes from Honda ESM for the GE6 Model.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
When I get off work I will cross reference the specs kotarou provided to see if they carry over to the GE8. I'll also scan the pinouts and wiring diagrams for the head unit.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by umop-apisdn
When I get off work I will cross reference the specs kotarou provided to see if they carry over to the GE8. I'll also scan the pinouts and wiring diagrams for the head unit.
Well I'm not sure, but i believe that this information is valid for both. Since the ESM has both versions.

The problem is the wiring, if it exists between the steering wheel and the Audio connector.
It's Something like the Intermmitent Variable Wipers, the diagram is the same, but the reality show that on the GE6 a wire is missing.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by awptickes
I will probably add USB at the same time just to save a little bit of wear and tear on the dash.
That was my thought exactly. While I'm at it, I might as well run wires for all the other stuff that I might wish to do...

I'm base so I'm thinking I might need to run cruise control wires too...

And while I've got the Stock HU off, I might as well run the USB wire and a jack for the multi-cd-player/mp3 player adaption too...

and for that matter I gotta check to see if the tweeter wires are already there, or if I need to run them too.

Heck, I need to get an aftermarket security system installed too so I might just ask the guy putting that in to help me out while he's busy in my dash.

Oh man is this gonna add up!

Old 09-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Tweeter wires aren't there. You have to run them yourself, which isn't as big of a pain as you'd think.

I installed aftermarket tweeters in mine.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by awptickes
Tweeter wires aren't there. You have to run them yourself, which isn't as big of a pain as you'd think.
I installed aftermarket tweeters in mine.
Perhaps you can reply to my thread https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...e-ge-09-a.html with a step-by-step how-to? Thanks.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by interestingstuff
That was my thought exactly. While I'm at it, I might as well run wires for all the other stuff that I might wish to do...

I'm base so I'm thinking I might need to run cruise control wires too...

And while I've got the Stock HU off, I might as well run the USB wire and a jack for the multi-cd-player/mp3 player adaption too...

and for that matter I gotta check to see if the tweeter wires are already there, or if I need to run them too.

Heck, I need to get an aftermarket security system installed too so I might just ask the guy putting that in to help me out while he's busy in my dash.

Oh man is this gonna add up!
It probably would've been cheaper to buy the Fit Sport at that point... haha.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
So my theory/detective work has been CONFIRMED (on the non-navi sport model, at least..)

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-pictures.html

Now onto the Base model!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Audio Controls POSSIBLE on non-navi!