2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Improving the handling of my '09 Sport M/T Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Mahout:

You keep saying we, as in collective. Who are you (collectively)? Who do you represent?

Old 09-23-2009, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dmckean
Here's the 205/50R16 on a stock sport rim.

beefy

Old 09-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Lek
Wouldn't that be expected though? I mean, it's not like Honda just put a bunch of parts together and threw it out there. I would expect that if you put stickier tires on the car, you'd have to compensate with some sort of suspension mod to offset the additional generated sway/body roll. Sway bar perhaps?
I actually thought Tanabe NF 210 lowering springs would have reduced the sway/Roll, but they made it worse. Anyway, my Coilovers have done the trick with more to play with if needed.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:46 AM
I am running on Regamaster 16"/7JJ/45 with 205/50/16 RE001 rubbers.
Suspension Showa Tuning Sports with Cusco lower brace.

T-R

Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tuned-R
I am running on Regamaster 16"/7JJ/45 with 205/50/16 RE001 rubbers.
Suspension Showa Tuning Sports with Cusco lower brace.

T-R
okay... and how does it feel?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by mike2100
okay... and how does it feel?
My review :-

1).Front suspension height :
- Before : 58cm
- After : 56.5cm

2). Rear suspension height :
- Before : 59cm
- After : 56.5cm

3). Review :
- Lowering 2 fingers front and 3 for rear
- Sporty handling and looks after lowering
- Good damping and rebound
- Comfort (not head banger)
- Cornering and braking improved
- Better stability on h/way at high speed
- High speed braking and steering control improved
- Yellow line/strips not bumpy
- Hump (speed breaker) clearence good
- Load test is ok with 2 kids and 1 wife on board
** Family gave thumbs up on comfort
- Oomph factor looking at red damper and springs with Showa logo

** Overall I am happy and can live with it for months to come.

T-R

Next project : Fitting Cusco front bar

Old 09-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Lek
Showa Tuning Sports with Cusco lower brace
That seems like a nice setup. What are the spring rates? Do you have a pic of the Cusco lower brace?

I also have a question for the tire experts.

I took note that Honda say 33psi is the best tire pressure for the GE because of the engine weight. What's is the safe maximum tire pressure you can put in the tires. I find a bit extra pressure gives a bit less body sway.

I've also been messing around with Nitrogen filled tires and I find the tires feel softer giving a more floaty feeling while driving.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lek
That seems like a nice setup. What are the spring rates? Do you have a pic of the Cusco lower brace?

I also have a question for the tire experts.

I took note that Honda say 33psi is the best tire pressure for the GE because of the engine weight. What's is the safe maximum tire pressure you can put in the tires. I find a bit extra pressure gives a bit less body sway.

I've also been messing around with Nitrogen filled tires and I find the tires feel softer giving a more floaty feeling while driving.

Most here run about 38 to 40 psi.

Nitrogen in tires is a ripoff unless its free. Only useful where temperature control is necessary as in racing. Air heats faster than nitrogen.
Any perceived difference in tire performance between air and nitrogen at the same pressure is imaginary. Pressure is pressure.
The only street advantage for nitrogen is leakdown thru the rubber carcass is slower with nitrogen thanks to its bigger molecule size and thats not much.
motor on. good questions tho'.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm with you. Handles just fine After driving a 1990 Isuzu Trooper for 19 years, the stock Fit is like driving a Ferrari to me. IOW, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 AM
[quote=Lek;752348]That seems like a nice setup. What are the spring rates? Do you have a pic of the Cusco lower brace?

Front : 2.4kgf/mm
rear : 2.13kgf/mm
**Same as JS Racing as they buy OEM from Showa too.

Chk Cusco website for the braces.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Lek
Most here run about 38 to 40 psi.
This kind of psi seems a lot. Is it safe? What will this kind of psi do for a car?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Lek
This kind of psi seems a lot. Is it safe? What will this kind of psi do for a car?

On USDM tires...at least mine say 51 max psi.
The table on the door jam of the Fit says 33 psi.

Tire manufacturers say refer to the psi on the table of the car but they also state that this should be the minimum psi. (33 psi that is). So for safety I usually run my cars psi at 40. No where close to the 51 max psi for the rating for the tire itself but above the minimum 33 psi.
I also notice my tires last longer this way. Under inflated tires wear faster and have a higher probability of blow outs.
Have the psi at 40 makes the side wall stiffer as well and give better stability during cornering.

Also I've seen a couple of members complain that their tpms light comes on when their tires are at 30-33psi. I've seen where they have to put the psi to 38psi before the light would even go off.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by dmckean
Here's the 205/50R16 on a stock sport rim.

Now that's the pic i was hopin someone would post, thanks. Now, please, go wash yer car

Old 09-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Lek
I run my fronts at 50 and rears at 40. Makes a HUGE improvement in my base Fit's handling. Noticeably better accelleration too.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Tweaking the alignment will have the biggest (cost effective) handling results in conjunction with a tire upgrade.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
With the stock all-weather dunlops, I keep them at exactly 33 psi, front and back. I can't ever imagine pumping them up harder- certainly not to 50! That's just too hard, it seems to me. Even 40 makes them pretty damn stiff. I be afraid the suckers would blow in my face while filling them! The door/manual suggests 33 and that's what I keep them at. The car handles excellent dry or wet, and holds really well on turns and ramps. It always strikes me as odd that many folks make such an effort to 'best' stock recommendations. Any time I've just followed manufactures recs- with anything mind you- it works out better in the long run.

Of course, I suppose YMMV.

Dan

Old 09-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Lek
There is one thing I have noticed with standard Struts and springs, the rear end is about 20mm heigher than the front. I know Honda have done this to carry more weight in the rear. Do you think honda have also done this to also help with weight distrabution to give a better ride because of engine weight.

At the moment, my coilovers are setup 5mm heigher in the rear than the front. Maybe I should increase that to 10mm. Any ideas?

Old 09-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Was out driving my GE today to calibrate the new compass mirror I installed and the first thing I noticed (I don't usually drive this car) the stock tires suck.

They don't feel very accurate or have any performance level grip.

So, first thing I would change would be tires...that's if I was going for performance.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Lek- you would want the rake to put more center of gravity on the front tires since it is a FF. On my FitS running coilovers, I have plenty of rake...-on my setup not for compensating cargo weight.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Lek
Lek- you would want the rake to put more center of gravity on the front tires since it is a FF. On my FitS running coilovers, I have plenty of rake...-on my setup not for compensating cargo weight.
Sorry, I don't understand. Does that mean the rear should be heigher. If so how much?

Quick Reply: Improving the handling of my '09 Sport M/T Fit