2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 Fit BASE wheel weight and MPG's

Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM
09 Fit BASE wheel weight and MPG's

Preface: I have an 09 fit base m/t with about 1K on the odo and love it. Computer reads 41.9MPG average.

Hi all, I have been searching for the wheel weight of standard honda fit BASE steel wheels and have not been able to find this info. Does anyone know the weight per wheel of the 15" steelies?

Second question, albeit much more complicated and not comprised of one question, is let's say for instance the wheel weight is 20lbs per wheel. I can get some 15" alloys that weight 12.8lbs (TRmotorsports C1). That would save me a total of 7.2 poundsx4=28.8lbs of rotating mass. Assume the tire weights are the same. Will I be able to note a difference in MPG's and/or acceleration? I have read several places that reducing the rotating mass is an effective way to improve handling, and can improve acceleration times (proven?).

A sub-question to this is what happens to the mpg's/acceleration when I switch the standard tires/wheels for a tire that is a bit taller or shorter? Obviously, a taller tire would have a negative affect on acceleration/mpg's on the low end, but MPG's would be higher at highway speeds since there is a reduction in RPM's. But this may be offset by the aerodynamic changes that the car will face since a taller tire=higher ride height=poorer handling=more drag. Alternatively, a shorter tire would improve acceleration on the low end, handling, and MPG's. But this would be detrimental to highway driving since shorter tires=higher RPM's=poorer MPG's on the highway. But again the ride height of the car will be lowered, and there is some aerodynamic benefit to having a shorter tire. But does this aerodynamic benefit offset the higher MPG's at highway speed?

In short, I would just like to know if lighter wheels and tires necessarily mean higher average MPG's? Ultimately, deciding upon shorter/taller tires may depend on the kind of driving that I do...35% city, 65% highway. In some reviews, people have mentioned the high RPM's at highway speeds and one way to help solve this is to get taller tires.

I liked this site for approximating RPM's in 5th gear depending on tire size:
Mopar Register: Tire size and RPM calculator

Old 09-23-2009, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
A few things of note:

I don't know what the wheel weight actually is for the base... (get that out of the way)

You want to stick with the same overall diameter to maintain your speed and odometer ratings. Smaller than normal diameter means that your warranty ends sooner. Larger than normal tire means that your car is working harder to accelerate and as you stated, is higher off the ground.

A lighter wheel/tire combo will net you better performance, better fuel economy, better everything. The less the engine has to work to get you up to speed, the less gas you'll use. Acceleration is what causes your economy to drop so anything that can be done to lessen the load on the engine during acceleration will be an improvement in fuel economy.

You never actually state what you want to do (are you planning on new wheels and tires?)

In all honesty, the best way to improve fuel economy is to adjust driving style. My avg is just under 40mpg calculated (about 45mpg on the computer) and this is due to accelerating slowly when i don't need to mash on the gas (Such as zooming up on the car in front of me) and then keeping a very light foot on the gas to prevent engine braking when going down a hill.

As for the wheels... go light but stay the same overall diameter. (also, narrow tires will improve economy).

~SB

Old 09-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Yea, I am going to get new wheels/tires once these are worn down....a hile from now, but I would still like to know how much those steelies weigh. The recommend tire size for the TRmotorsports wheels are 195/60/15.....which is a wider tire=more rolling resistance. I could go 195/55/15 to maybe get some aero benefit to offset the rolling resistance. You are right though, driving style makes a big difference in MPG's....

Old 09-23-2009, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Per a member here named Chad T, "Stock 15 inch Fit wheel with hubcap weighs presicely 17.7lbs."

Old 09-23-2009, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
your computer lies. you are doing 36ish mpg.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by teamkitty
Per a member here named Chad T, "Stock 15 inch Fit wheel with hubcap weighs presicely 17.7lbs."
Hey thanks for saving me a search. I couldn't remember. Yes that's the weight. Weighed it on our shipping scale at work.

The stock tires are made for good fuel economy and are very light at 16lb each. I wanted to get 16 inch wheels with 205/50/16 tires but most of those weigh 23lbs or more so I just got some 15 inch aluminum rims that weigh 16 lbs and kept the stock tires.

I'm interested to see how the new Goodyear fuel max tires do. They will have a 195/60/15 which is probably what I will switch to when I wear the stock tires out.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info! BTW, I just filled up my car and the computer is a bit optimistic - computer read 41.7mpg actual was ~38mpg. Still much higher than EPA estimates and MPG should get better as the tires "break-in". That's pretty cool that they are making fuel max tires in that size.....do you know how much those shoes will cost?

I really would have thought the steel wheels would have been heavier....good to know!

Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by tradertotheday
Thanks for the info! BTW, I just filled up my car and the computer is a bit optimistic - computer read 41.7mpg actual was ~38mpg. Still much higher than EPA estimates and MPG should get better as the tires "break-in". That's pretty cool that they are making fuel max tires in that size.....do you know how much those shoes will cost?
The 195/60/15 fuel max is $81 on the tirerack's site. Waiting for some more reviews to come in to see how they do. They are fairly light at 17 lb each.

That MPG is pretty good. I only got 30 last tank but I've been driving like it like a maniac lately. I need to quit reading the "Fit Slowness" thread..

Originally Posted by tradertotheday
I really would have thought the steel wheels would have been heavier....good to know!
Yeah they're pretty light. I was worried my alum rims would be heavier but I did lose 1 lb per wheel.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
Just remember. Fuel economy savings can be countered by expensive tires and unless you are putting 40k miles/year on a car, you aren't going to see $$ return on fuel savings with a tire marketed for fuel economy... especially when you can get tires for $48 or $52 each (through Tirerack.com)

~SB

Old 09-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by specboy
Just remember. Fuel economy savings can be countered by expensive tires and unless you are putting 40k miles/year on a car, you aren't going to see $$ return on fuel savings with a tire marketed for fuel economy... especially when you can get tires for $48 or $52 each (through Tirerack.com)

~SB
Oh yeah I know. I'm not concerened about the fuel economy so much I just like the feel of the car with low rolling resistance and light weight. I like to use hypermiler tricks to make my car faster.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:00 PM
i just got a deal for some slipstreams (weight 11.7 lbs) for $325 but now knowing the steelies are not horrible, i may just yank the hubcaps and paint the steelies and call it a day!