2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

AC Smells

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
AC Smells

When ever i turn on the AC, the air that comes out stinks real bad. Like sweaty balls. Started about a couple weeks ago.

i barely have 4k miles.
Should i take it to the dealer?

Old 10-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
your evaporator drip valve (hose) might be blocked...

Old 10-06-2009, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
If you leave the fresh air selector on recirculate, this inhibits the A/C evaporator from drying out when you turn off the car promoting the growth of mildew. Try making sure this is set to "outside air" when you turn it off so it has a chance to dry out.

Either that or someone left you a present.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Either that or someone left you a present.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
A present? Like sweaty balls?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by veeone
When ever i turn on the AC, the air that comes out stinks real bad. Like sweaty balls. Started about a couple weeks ago.

i barely have 4k miles.
Should i take it to the dealer?
Have you been car pooling with Conrado, the poster below at steadyhealth.com?

sweaty balls

SteadyHealth Community Home » Men's Health » Testicular Disorders & Male Fertility Issues
Goto page 1, 2 Next

Author

Conrado

Hi, I have a problem that I am embarrassed to talk to anyone about. I have sweaty balls. The sweat itself is not so much a problem, as the smell is. I don't have a girlfriend because I fear that a girl might laugh if she found out about my situation. I am desperate. Please give me some advice on how to eliminate the problem of sweaty balls.

Did you find this post useful? 9 17

Last edited by 55Fit55; 10-06-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 PM
With only four thousand miles I doubt this is the problem, but you never know, check your cabin filter.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
My GE8 just started stinkin' too......I have 30k miles though... If you take it in, let us know what they find. If I can fix it myself I would love to save a trip to the dealer. It won't be the cabin filter.

Last edited by reako; 10-07-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:10 AM
captain obvious asks: "how do you know what sweaty balls smell like?"

anyway, this happened a few times on my previous car. i've learned to keep the A/C fan on fresh mode for the last 5 minutes of my trip. that should give it enough time to dry out your vents.

if it's a problem that doesn't go away, get a new cabin filter, spray lysol in the vents and cabin filter box. after a few minutes, run the motor and fan on fresh mode and roll the windows down. let sit for a few minutes and you should be OK.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
I have run into this once or twice (just hit 10k).. I turn the temp control to full hot for abot 30-45 secs & go back to full cold... no more smell. The heat kills off whatever mold etc has collected on the coil.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
This seems to be a common problem with air conditioning on newer cars. The culprit is mold growing in the evaporator. Mold stinks to high heaven, and what's worse, it may be toxic.

There are fungicides which can be sprayed into the evaporator through the vents, but I can't remember any specific brands or products. Check with your dealer or auto parts store if these other suggestions don't work.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
^^^
Here is an excellent product that you spray into the vents to clean and remove the odors.
I'm sure it's available from other sources online.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...iacleaner.aspx

Old 10-07-2009, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
^^^
Here is an excellent product that you spray into the vents to clean and remove the odors.
I'm sure it's available from other sources online.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...iacleaner.aspx
I'm somewhat skeptical of the product claims that its foam cleans the cooling fins if one sprays the stuff through the center vent. Lysol spray may work just as well -- it's a preferred product among book conservators for killing/preventing mildew.

That said, prevention is worth a lot, and if the condensate drain is blocked, the problem will return again.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately Lysol spray will not reach far enough within the vents to be of much good. The product listed comes with a 18" hose attachment that allows the product to work closer to the source of the problem. This is the same product the dealer recommends (for what that's worth) on their cars. I've used the product in at least five different Hondas with good results. The worst of which needed a cabin filter change as well.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Turn off your AC for the last few miles of your trip. I had to do this with my dad's '01 Cruiser at the end of extended trips (40 miles or more) Otherwise it would too smell like sweaty balls....

Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Stop smoking in the car

don't smoke in the car- everything seems really fast or really slow when i smoke in a car and I can never get past a Circle-K without getting another refill on my cold drink, plus the munchies, I love pizza
Oh... and No I don't Like sweaty balls, go freeballin or use spray to stop that.

Last edited by gitaFit; 10-07-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Here is what I did for my BMW and should work on the Fit.

Remove the cabin filter and start the car and put the AC on High (be sure recirc is off). Then have a spray bottle made of a 50/50 bleach/water mix and mist the system from the cabin filter inlet. Do this for each setting on the A/C dash control. Also, you might want to cover the dash vents with a blanket or other cover to make sure the spray solution doesn't spray all over everything (just a precaution, ya never know, never had a problem in the Beemer). Also, don't over spray. You can always spray more if it needs to be redone if the odor remains.

I smoke and the BMWs were notorious for the sweaty ball thing. This was a solution that fixed my problem and it kills the mold and mildew in the system.

Last edited by WhiteSnake; 10-07-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WhiteSnake
Here is what I did for my BMW and should work on the Fit.

Remove the cabin filter and start the car and put the AC on High (be sure recirc is off). Then have a spray bottle made of a 50/50 bleach/water mix and mist the system from the cabin filter inlet. Do this for each setting on the A/C dash control. Also, you might want to cover the dash vents with a blanket or other cover to make sure the spray solution doesn't spray all over everything (just a precaution, ya never know, never had a problem in the Beemer). Also, don't over spray. You can always spray more if it needs to be redone if the odor remains.

I smoke and the BMWs were notorious for the sweaty ball thing. This was a solution that fixed my problem and it kills the mold and mildew in the system.
you probably want to wear some sort of mask while doing this

btw, auto parts stores sell spray specifically for dealing with vent smell

QUEST™ A/C ODOR OUT CLEANER AND DEODORIZER - CarParts Quality Discount Parts and Accessories

Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 PM
I've only had my Fit sport for about a month, and my ac vent started to smell today. It scared me, it was a chemically, nail polish remover smell - not the mildew or like 'smelly ball,". Anyway, does anyone know what or where this is coming from, and should I take it to the dealer-- it should be covered by my warrantee, right?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Codger01
I have run into this once or twice (just hit 10k).. I turn the temp control to full hot for abot 30-45 secs & go back to full cold... no more smell. The heat kills off whatever mold etc has collected on the coil.
^^^DITTO^^^

I would be more generous with how long I leave the heat on. Today, after three days driving around w/ windows down and no A/C when I turned it on I got a similar smell. I'm always running fresh air vent BTW. First thing I did was crank up the heat and let it "cook" for a while.

I would be real hesitant to start spraying stuff in the vents and what-not. Last resort only. The s**t can hang around and is certainly not healthy - but, in some instances needs to be done.

K_C_

Quick Reply: AC Smells