2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long-leggers rejoice - Easy, cheap mod for extra legroom.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Long-leggers rejoice - Easy, cheap mod for extra legroom.

So, I realized that the sense of being slightly cramped, for me, came primarily because of the seat-to-throttle pedal distance. I had an element before, and with it's horrid lack of a dead-pedal, having anywhere to rest my left foot was an improvement. However, the design of the tended to cramp my right leg slightly, resulting in some cramping in my right hip.

The solution, which creates an extra virtual inch or so of right legroom, is easy, takes <20 minutes, and costs pennies. You will need:

A ratchet.
A 12mm socket
some type of washer or shim x2.
(I used a pair I found in an old toolbox. A 1/4" washer is too small, FYI)

Here's the trick:

Remove the bolts holding the throttle pedal and it's sensor from the firewall. Put a shim between the top two bolts and the firewall, and reattach.

This will have the effect of pushing the pedal closer to the floorboard. I'm not convinced that the last bit of pedal travel has any effect on the actual throttle mechanism, and even if it does, WOT acceleration is an anathema to the frugal nature of the Fit anyway. If I need extra acceleration, dropping it a gear suffices.

By putting the pedal farther away, you gain extra pedal-seat inches, and your leg will be further extended, getting your knee off the console and/or shift-lever.

A second easy fix is to remove the sound deadening material on behind the carpet to the right of the pedal, gaining an extra .5-1 inches of space there for bulky shoes.

I still, of course, have the seat all the way back, and the seatback reclined a good ways, but it makes a world of difference for my 35" inseam and size 12 shoes! (Overall height 6'1, but I've got long legs)

Don't know if it will work as easily on the GDs.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
This sounds like a great idea.. I think you are right about the throttle being opened as far as it is going to before the pedal is on the floor... If that isn't the case a throttle controller in sport mode will open it sooner.... I am a little taller, have one size larger feet and drive a GD.... At my age it is painful at times so I am going to see if it is possible for the same thing to be done to my car.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:28 PM
This is a great idea, as I suffer the same aches due to my long legs and big feet. Man, if that seat could be raised one inch higher and slid back one inch further, allus biggies would be in heaven. Till then, I'll try your shim trick. While I have the thing unbolted, I think I will upplug it and take it to my workbench vide and carefully put a little more in the pedal rod. I bet just a few more degrees will make a huge difference. I'll try to take some pictures. And for any worry warts that might read this..of course I wont make any rash moves that make the pedal stick wide open.