2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What's With The Irrational Hate For This Car?

Old 12-05-2009, 11:25 PM
dgs
What's With The Irrational Hate For This Car?

I do not understand it. You go to other message boards (Edmunds comes to mind) and if the Fit is part of the discussion you get people slamming it, sayings it's hideous looking, has no power, is super noisy, is cheap, has a terrible looking interior, gets poor gas mileage for it's size, etc. I think the new 09/10 Fit is the best looking car in the econo class, it's very European looking and one of the reasons I wanted it. The power is more than enough in this class, especially with a manual transmission, and I will never understand the complaints about road noise. The noise in this car has never been offensive to me, and I've been in PLENTY of cars that were much nosier, the Mazda 3 comes to mind. It's an economy car, I mean what are people expecting, a Lexus quiet interior?

The Fit is an amazingly engineered car, people who don't own the car will never understand how much fun it is to drive. It's incredibly reliable, has a super ergonomic interior with the amazing rear magic seats. Plus we all know how amazing the "real" gas mileage is for this car, much better than the EPA ratings.

I love the little car, every day it's an adventure, even doing something as mundane as driving to work in the morning (20 mile commute each way). I love being able to get stuff in the car that would normally only Fit in an SUV. I also am proud to drive my car knowing it has a very low impact on the environment. Is it jealousy or a hatred of all Honda products? I was just curious why some of you think this car attracts the hatred it does. Won't stop me from loving the car, but I have never owned a car that receives the kind of hate the Fit does.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
There will always be haters. I wouldnt worry too much about them :0

Old 12-05-2009, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
More people will appreciate the Fit once gas gets over $4/gallon again. I've almost cut my fuel costs in half since buying mine.

And, like you said, it's a very well engineered car that's a blast to drive.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by petwhookie
There will always be haters. I wouldn't worry too much about them :0
exactly F em'

Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 PM
I love the fuel economy even though I was getting 20 in town in my previous vehical I get about 30 or more everytime now and only 10gal tank is $24 to fill up and go 300 or a little more compared to the 17 gal tank at $40 something and only 370-400mi to a tank.

I like it and I think that it looks way better then the other ones in its class...I liked the older mazada 3 but I hate the smile face thing they did.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:38 AM
There are some maniacs on the long-term testing blog, 1487 for example,
that consider themselves the only "True Americans" for not driving foreign brand cars.
They go out bashing any foreign car whenever they have the chance (like when something breaks within warranty).
So it's not only targeted towards the Fit.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Really dont like the haters. Guy I work with calls it a soccer mom car. Hypocrite plays soccer with little kids on the weekends. I'm surprised he doesn't drive a soccer mom mini van. He drives a Civic. @_@

I love the car for it's relatively small size, great gas mileage, and overall appearance. I think it looks great! I can get a lot done with this car that I couldn't with my 91 civic. For instance, I work in the IT department and we had to deliver a large printer to another building. Our official vehicle is a small electric golf cart, has no trunk and can only seat two people. Pretty useless huh? I was able to fit the large printer into my vehicle with the seats down. The printer would have never been delivered had it not been for my car. I'm not a big fan of using my car for work purposes, but the job had to get done.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Don't mind them, they're just unhappy 'cause they bought some other car.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 PM
I had a Mazda Miata. I traded it for the Fit and have no regrets although I loved the Miata. Great gas mileage and the manual shift is fun and peppy. The seats are comfortable despite the fact that I am over 6 foot tall.

Folks are just turned off by small cars.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:58 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by fhwulala
There are some maniacs on the long-term testing blog, 1487 for example,
that consider themselves the only "True Americans" for not driving foreign brand cars.
They go out bashing any foreign car whenever they have the chance (like when something breaks within warranty).
So it's not only targeted towards the Fit.
Yes!! I have seen that name 1487 and he is an idiot, along with some guy who calls himself cx7lover. These guys are complete douche bags. I mean who else but a total loser is going to spend all their time ragging on a car they don't even own on some message board.

While they are the worst, there are others who just spew venom at this car almost as though there is some deep seated psychological issue. One of the things they always bash the car about is the cost, and of course they always cite the most expensive model which is the Fit with navi and automatic. Come on, how many Fit buyers buy that combo, maybe 4%? It's like whatever they can find to criticize about the car they will.

Like most Fit owners I could have afforded to buy a car twice as expensive but I still chose my Fit, and there isn't a day that goes by where I regret that decision.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
"While they are the worst, there are others who just spew venom at this car almost as though there is some deep seated psychological issue."

The other day I came out of the grocery store and found that somebody had SPIT on my Fit! WTF???

Old 12-06-2009, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Take satisfaction in knowing that instead of them buying reliable, efficient, and quality vehicles, they are most likely the ones still buying cars that have the opposite traits.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Most of the folks around here could carry the Fit around in the beds of their trucks. They look at it funny--they wouldn't be caught dead in something like the Fit--but they just about went broke filling their gas tanks a year ago. Folks around here are much too nice to say anything or spit on the car. They just would never buy a small car. That's just the way it is in the country.

Cheers.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
I can't believe somebody actually spit on your car. WTF?!?! Was probably some "buy American" nutjob that doesn't realize how many "American" cars are built in Mexico these days.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
They don't know what they're missing. Ignore 'em. You're the one who has spare change from the fuel you've saved, not them. You can literally laugh your way to the bank at their expense.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member
I can't stand it either. The car gets no respect at all. Here's a funny story:

The people I work with constantly rag on my car. "How's the clown car doing" or "Why would you do that (random mod) - It's a FIT?" (in a voice that makes it sound like it's the biggest piece of shit on earth) And it just boggles my mind. I did alot of reasearch before I bought it and really thought it through. Damn near every legitimate automotive publication says its the best car in its class and impresses the hell out of them. Yet the public at large thinks the car is a POS. I LOVE my car, dearly. It is a real pleasure to drive and I take a hell of alot of pride in it.

So anyway, the lady who works in the office next to me recently bought a top-of-the-line Kia Soul (Mind you it cost her over 19k so I call bullshit to everyone who says the FIT is too expensive, although she did get very nice looking 18" rims with that). So I jokingly said "We should race my Clown Car against your Bread Box" Now we all know in a straight line the Soul would probably win but I thought it would be funny to pull her leg. Her response: "Maybe if I had my Mustang. I mean the fit is a sporty kind of car and it wouldn't be any fair" My jaw just dropped. It was like WTF, you constantly make fun of my car and now all of a sudden it's 'sporty' WTF! So this has lead me to the conclusion that there are probably alot of people that like the car but wont let on for fear of... whatever.

I could care less about the 'green' environmental factor to the car. The only 'green' I care about is in my wallet, but the FIT saves me a hell of alot of that too.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 12-07-2009 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
^ Hahaha it's pointless arguing with those kinds of people. Leave 'em be, you're the one saving money while having a blast behind the wheel.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:30 AM
I find the people that hate the Fit the most tend to know nothing about it. When I actually tell them about the price, space, gas mileage, dependability, versatility and overall fun to drive characteristics they shut up real quick.
Another fun thing is emailing them all the links to everyone in the automotive world praising the car. They soon realize they have no clue what they are talking about.
On the other hand I like that nobody has a clue what the car is or about. The way I drive it doesn't look to be a slow car. I like looking at peoples faces as I fly by them in this little 1.5L hatchback. I get so many looks as a pass Corvettes on the freeway going 60mph. People drive me nuts who have these big V6's and V8's but drive like they are in the slowest car on the road.
I love driving the crap out of this car and still get 30 mpg city 35 mpg hwy.

Back on topic.... Yes these little econo box's are looked down on by the general population ( I use to) but in retrospect I believe the people driving them are some of the smartest people on the road.

BTW this is all in reference to daily drivers. There is nothing wrong with having beast of car in the garage for some weekend fun. ;-)

Ok I'm done rambling.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 12-07-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Actually reading these comments make me regret buying the fit more and more. I have never made full use of the magic seats and I probably never will when I look at my lifestyle. And if I wanted great mileage... well there are a lot of other cars (new and 2nd hand) that gets better gas mileage then the fit.

With the public thinking that this car is a POS I am begining the believe that I made the wrong decision myself too. The fit is my first car ever and is actually my first real experience with a car I am wondering if I am missing out on something.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Why should you feel that way? You bought a great little car. It's solid, well made, dependable, sporty, fun to drive, great handling, and cheap to own. If more people were being honest with themselves, they'd realize it's all the car they NEED.

I regularly load mine up with guitars and amplifiers and band gear, so I DO use the magic seats. Yesterday, I brought home a big screen TV. The little car swallowed it up without a problem. I'm proud of my little "do everything" car. You should be too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's With The Irrational Hate For This Car?