2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Window Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Storm Silver
$400 for registration...wow I guess that's the price of paradise. Up here in the frozen north we pay $70 Canadian and have the privalige of looking at snow for 6 months of the year. Gonna do the outside air thing like I've done with every other car I've ever had. Got to go out tonite and it will be about 25 to 30 below.Will post if it worked or not.
well that and give us an interior weather report. Is it comfy inside? And none of this subversive Celsius stuff; give it to us in Fahrenheit as god intended.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:12 AM
I know Celcius is for the birds....grew up with Farenheit. In the winter here I go by 2 things....how quick the dogs want in after a pee and if when I take a deep breath my nose hairs freeze ( below 16 degrees F.) Ha Ha.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
well that and the squeaky noise the snow makes as you walk on it. Ahhh memories. I remember snow.

I always thought it was the snot freezing in my nose. Nose hairs, eh?

edit: low of 1, high of three. that's kinda boring.

crap saturday you might as well stay in bed! (low -25f, high -13f). Do you have an electric blanket for your Fit?

Last edited by Steve244; 12-09-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
well that and give us an interior weather report. Is it comfy inside? And none of this subversive Celsius stuff; give it to us in Fahrenheit as god intended.
How offensive. God is always capitalized.

You even put Fahrenheit capitalized so you should know better.

Celsius gets my vote for actually making sense and being more civilized.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
LOL, I'd take snow over paying $400 for registration plus more for inspection etc. We only pay less than a $100 for plates/registration a year out in Illinois and the inspection is free and I can put just about whatever I damn well please in my car as long as it doesn't trip an OBD2 code. California is just too expensive for me.
Originally Posted by Storm Silver
$400 for registration...wow I guess that's the price of paradise. Up here in the frozen north we pay $70 Canadian and have the privalige of looking at snow for 6 months of the year...
$400 for registration lol it hasn't gotten that bad [yet]. this year's registration cost me $230 , i paid only $100 the year prior. it is expensive to live in cali, although i can't imagine living anywhere else.

as far as the window condensation thing goes, i open up my windows a tiny bit but keep the heater on. it works. been using this technique since i learned to drive. i only use the defroster when it stinks outside.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
How offensive. God is always capitalized.

You even put Fahrenheit capitalized so you should know better.

Celsius gets my vote for actually making sense and being more civilized.

True, but saying it's a balmy 25 isn't the same as a balmy 77.

What about the Norse gods? They endorsed Fahrenheit long before the US did. (actually it was my spell checker that made me capitalize them).

Old 12-09-2009, 03:38 PM
If you have the advantage of a reasonably warm, dry garage, open some windows while the car is parked. That will let it dry out inside.
Moon

Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Arghhh Damn Alberta Weather !!!! It warmed up to just above zero f. However the humidity came up too from about 35% to 85%. Nasty roads. Good news everyone!!!! No fogged or frosted windows. Lots of heat inside. Decided to run on outside air and air conditioning!!!! Will have to try that when it get colder . Happy Happy Happy!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
well 85% humidity at zero farrhenenenenhichttttt when warmed to comfyness is about 40% humidity. Just guessing, but it's something along those lines.

Does your Fit sleep indoors or does it huddle in the cold whimpering?

Old 12-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Lucky for Stormy she live in an unheated attached garage. No more scraping windows and yeah we have wild humidity changes here. When the humidity is up in the 80 to 90 % and we are colder than about -16f we get these weird ice fogs. The sun can be shining , not a cloud in the sky but you can see the ice crystals forming in the air.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Here's another test you can perform for us warm climate dwellers (ha, we're being attacked by Canadian air right now; it's only 39 outside. farhehehehit, not celsius):

Cars typically disable the A/C below freezing to avoid freezing their tubes (A/C evaporator coil). They do this simply; there's a thermostat on the coils that prevents the A/C compressor from running when the evaporator (the part that cools the car) gets close to freezing. If they didn't do this the condensation on the outside of the coils would freeze blocking airflow.

You can tell when the A/C compressor engages by the click-whir as the clutch engages and the condenser fans (radiator fans) come on.

My hypothesis is, even with the A/C button engaged, at low temperatures the A/C doesn't really come on. Others here have noted that it does come on, laying waste to my 2nd paragraph. I dunno: if it really comes on maybe the evaporator is after the heater core to keep it from frosting up.

Just curious, but the corollary to this is that the A/C comes on when in defrost/defog (even though the button doesn't light), and my assumption is it doesn't do this at low temperatures making the infamous defog-A/C-defeat mod a bit redundant.

Also how long does it take to get comfy inside (shirtsleeve comfy, not parka comfy)?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Wish we had snow over here. It was 80+ here in Orlando yesterday, in the middle of december WTF.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
yeah sucks to be warm, doesn't it.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
It sucks to be sweating bullets the moment you step outside, then waiting 10 minutes for the Fit's AC to pump out enough cold air to lower the temperature of the car to at least 100 F. All of this in december. Don't even get me started on july/august. I hate FL.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
It sucks to be sweating bullets the moment you step outside, then waiting 10 minutes for the Fit's AC to pump out enough cold air to lower the temperature of the car to at least 100 F. All of this in december. Don't even get me started on july/august. I hate FL.
The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm...I just had something weird happen to me yesterday. For the first time ever, I stepped into my car and the inside of the windshield had DROPS of water! I've never had some much condensation that drops of water would stream down the windsheidl... (~4-6 drops).

Has anyone else had this happen? Or is there something wrong with my windshield...?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2010, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
I almost always leave it on recirculate, maybe that's my problem.
You are correct, it is your problem. Recirculate is only for extra cooling when fresh air cooling is not enough.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by des0late
Hmm...I just had something weird happen to me yesterday. For the first time ever, I stepped into my car and the inside of the windshield had DROPS of water! I've never had some much condensation that drops of water would stream down the windsheidl... (~4-6 drops).

Has anyone else had this happen? Or is there something wrong with my windshield...?

Thanks!
I have a 2008 Fit and 2009 Fit. They are both unbelievably bad for condensation. I've never had and problems like this from any of the dozen other cars I've owned. I haven't the slightest idea why. Good thing they have AC to clear up the problem windows. We'll just have to live with it.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Lipappy
After the first snowfall of the season, I noticed that on the inside of the car there was significant condensation on the inside of the front windshield. I had to wipe it with my gloved hand, which caused all kind of smearing. I'm sure it's due to bringing snow / water in with me when getting in, and it evaporating. However, I haven't noticed this problem in cars I've owned in the past. Does anyone know more about this and if there's anything you can do to reduce interior window condensation?
First, clean the windows on the inside. Secondly, make sure you are using fresh air, not recirculated. Third, if you don't want to use defrost constantly because of compressor draw (or mod defrost to not run the compressor) you can run the floor setting, it does blow some air on the windshield, typically enough to keep the windows clear once defrost does the trick.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
First, clean the windows on the inside....
And clean, and clean. If not done regularly, I find that it takes 2-4 passes to get rid of all the schmutz that outgasses from the plastic and upholstery. This is not uniquely a Honda problem; it's inherent with most new cars, due to all the plastics (the real source of that "new car" phone).

Quick Reply: Window Condensation